Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

OK I am trying to figure out the angle on this one. We all know about the I'm out of the country selling this item or I am looking to buy will pay over your asking if you ship it to me out of country and I will use a money order. Well I told him I would have to hold it for 3 weeks to let it all clear before shipping but he said No Paypal does not take that long. My question is I feel secure with PP as long as it is Verified taking funds and shipping. Is there someway that the funds could fall through still or is that on PP?
This is the email conversation so far back and forth. Oldest at the bottom.

No !
Paypal payment does not take long.

Sent from my iPhone
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 05:17:07 -0800
To: [email protected]
That would be fine but I will have to wait 3 weeks for payment to clear before shipping.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 9, 2012, at 10:48 PM, Alexander Rodriguez wrote:
I just finished advanced individual training and am waiting for deployment.. I would appreciate if you can handle the shipment and that would bring the grand total to $1800. Send me your Name & Address for money order payment or request a paypal invoice for the total amount to [email protected] for payment. Keep me updated once request is sent.

Sent from my iPhone

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

There is only a scam if you participate.

EBH

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:36 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Not helpful but I understand what you are saying.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:40 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

get the guys physical address and Google it; see what comes up. If you don't have it, ask for it along with a telephone # to use to call him. Also, ask for his unit #, company commander's name, and present base. If he won't give you any of that, I'd disregard his offer and I'd tell him so. I had several months ago a similar language response to add I had placed somewhere else and when I asked for those data, he responded by saying "F**c You.
Nuff said

+1 to EBH

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

yeah, I wrote back and asked for a phone number to talk abou this. That was my first line of action too. See what he says next. I understand people deploy and I live right by Joint Base Lewis McCord so lot of milatary. Will see if he calls or gives me his #

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

If you are unsure about the buyer you can request payment via PayPal e-check, or USPS Money Order. In the case of the money order, you can ship as soon as it clears your account.

In the case of an e-check:

Once payment clears, remove the funds from your account. Only when the funds have "landed" in your bank account should you ship the item. Even e-checks can be reversed, but if the funds aren't in your PayPal account, they can't be frozen.

Ship only to the verified Paypal address in the account. Ship via verifiable method. The only two reasons Paypal would accept for a bank reversal would be a hijacked account or items not received or not as described. In either case you can show that they account owner has the items and you will only return their money if the items are returned to you.

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:26 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Apologies for adding a question to the OP's thread instead of answering his, but what would happen if he makes a claim that he did not receive the camera that was agreed upon- that the shipment contained a cheapo P&S?

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:25 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Never do business with an active serviceman, real or not, especially those who are awaiting to be deployed to an unknown destination. $1800 bucks! Uh, no way. I was in the US Army overseas so I have some perspective on this. The only thing you could count on was getting personal letters or the stuff that nobody cares to ripoff like food.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:40 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Obvious scam.

Read http://kati8712.blogspot.com/2009/09/scammas.html Likely more names than on his list, but you can sort of see what kind of messages one gets.

I chanced upon this thread after seeing one of those messages and googling the email "[email protected]"

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Is this from a transaction on our board?

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

hi Fred, if you're asking if this was from this website I believe it was, I don't remember. I have ended up not selling to him because I could not figure out if it was a scam or not.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Wickedfn4u wrote:
hi Fred, if you're asking if this was from this website I believe it was, I don't remember. I have ended up not selling to him because I could not figure out if it was a scam or not.

If this was from the Buy and Sell board, do you happen to have the member's username?
How about a thread link?
Fred

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

when I get home in concert it I will check and let you know.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help prevent a possible scam (Craigslist)

Just looked it up Fred, it is from Craigslist so no worry... whew.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.