1       2       3              76      
       78              87       88       end

Archive 2012 · Automotive Thread

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.77 #1 · p.77 #1 · Automotive Thread

I was thinking more along the lines of this

Not much camber in my ride - just a little room under the fenders that could be used. Mine is on the left, my son's on the right. We do both have tow hooks, not straps

The growing Mini family

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM
henry albert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.77 #2 · p.77 #2 · Automotive Thread

pburke wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of this

Not much camber in my ride - just a little room under the fenders that could be used. Mine is on the left, my son's on the right. We do both have tow hooks, not straps

https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1482/25648463492_dab8975d71_b.jpg
The growing Mini family

As an obsolete geezer/curmudgeon, my instinct would be to investigate available SCCA B-Spec class suspension kits to lower it a tad while maintaining good camber. And maybe a plus-1 wheel/tire upgrade, just for the heck of it. The B-Spec springs and bars might be a little stiff for a street car, though.

BTW -- I wouldn't mind looking under the car in the video to see how they pulled it off. Wouldn't drive it faster than about 3 mph, though.

Aug 11, 2016 at 01:41 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #3 · p.77 #3 · Automotive Thread

It is already lowered on custom coilovers and has custom camber/caster/toe alignment and roll bars, etc. It has far less camber than when I bought it. The rims are just not filling the fenders. 1/2" maybe. Too expensive to buy different offset rims, and half inch spacers stink. Too fat for just being a shim, too narrow to bolt on and run a second set of wheel studs from the spacer like they do on 1" plus. No big deal, as I am quite happy with it.

Right now I need new wheel bearings, not because of the suspension changes, but thanks to our defunct state road system letting you run into massive concrete holes at 70mph, because redneck voters ride pickup trucks, so they don't care about that.

Aug 11, 2016 at 02:06 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #4 · p.77 #4 · Automotive Thread

something slightly different, with the big old manual focus 600mm

Pinstripe Wireframe M Power

and a pan with a borrowed lens from the guy standing next to me. I do like the 70-200mm f/2.8. Sure pans better than my 70-300mm

Corvette Racing's #3 zipping past the fans

Aug 12, 2016 at 01:46 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.77 #5 · p.77 #5 · Automotive Thread

For the Tifosi . . . a sight that might warm even Enzo's icy heart.

D500 and 200-400

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.77 #6 · p.77 #6 · Automotive Thread

Well if you don't need any BMW parts from Turner, get out there and get some WeatherTech floor mats.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:46 PM
Blakemore
• • •
p.77 #7 · p.77 #7 · Automotive Thread

1953 Pontiac Chieftain. Posted in its own thread earlier before I saw this one.

Edited on Sep 29, 2016 at 09:17 AM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2016 at 02:53 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #8 · p.77 #8 · Automotive Thread

some action express action footage

They are all on caffeine and adrenaline

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:54 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.77 #9 · p.77 #9 · Automotive Thread

I hadn't noticed this thread until yesterday & having just lost the ability to link photos from my original web site of choice for the last several years (Picasa Web Albums) this is sort of testing that I've got the hang of Flickr & teaching how to identify a 68 Corvette from a 69. The 68 had 2 very obvious differences to a 69 and they are the button on the side of the door which must be pressed to release the latch (69 has a lock cylinder there) and the back up lights are under the rear bumper in 68 & it has 4 red tail lamp lenses while the 69 has 2 all red ones & 2 part red / part clear lenses (but the side view doesn't show that. One other difference you can't see in these photos is the location of the ignition switch which got moved from the dash of the 68 to the steering column of the 69 & later cars.

IMG_2860 by Lawrence Ingram, on Flickr

VZ1Q03991 by Lawrence Ingram, on Flickr

Aug 15, 2016 at 04:06 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.77 #10 · p.77 #10 · Automotive Thread

Continuing the theme, here's a couple of Corvette prototypes at Road America.

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:36 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #11 · p.77 #11 · Automotive Thread

variation of the vette theme - C7 GTLM version with roof hatch

Having a look at Gavin/Milner's roof hatch

And what's the deal with all the US flags on the prototypes this year? Clearly not a requirement in GTLM

Aug 15, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.77 #12 · p.77 #12 · Automotive Thread

There is a reason why every GTLM team and Porsche, Audi, and Toyota in P1 use this tire in the WEC. Nothing comes close. The one thing I really dislike about IMSA is tying themselves to Continental and their shit tires. If GTLM were forced to run Continental there would be no GTLM cars racing in the US.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:15 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.77 #13 · p.77 #13 · Automotive Thread

Ford GT.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:25 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #14 · p.77 #14 · Automotive Thread

Tim Adams wrote:
There is a reason why every GTLM team and Porsche, Audi, and Toyota in P1 use this tire in the WEC. Nothing comes close. The one thing I really dislike about IMSA is tying themselves to Continental and their shit tires. If GTLM were forced to run Continental there would be no GTLM cars racing in the US.

Well, that may all be the case as far as grip and durability goes. What matters to IMSA is where the money comes from. Next to Weathertech, Conti is the biggest sponsor of the series. And getting a paycheck for what they are doing is ultimately the bottom line of being a racing series. It actually is surprising they allow tire choice within a class (remember Falken?). That is something very few racing series allow. Two reasons - nobody ends up on the inferior tires when the rest of them is winning everything, and second, they get a fat check from the company as the "official tire provider."

Fire and tire - Removing the "clag"

A pile of Michelins to make it through race day:

Michelins for the #911 GTLM Porsche

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:43 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.77 #15 · p.77 #15 · Automotive Thread

I know they write the check, but they would be better off with completely open tire rules like the WEC. The dirty little secret about Continental, they are made by Hoosier, up to 2014 that is, don't know if that still is the case.

As for open tire in GTLM, they have no choice, teams simply would not race here in the US without running the tire they want.

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:41 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #16 · p.77 #16 · Automotive Thread

Some proper racing action - rich man Kvamme getting gas and those awful Conti tires.

Mark Kvamme gets all the attention at Starworks

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:55 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.77 #17 · p.77 #17 · Automotive Thread

Dyno Don Nicholson at the dawn of the pro stock era. Maverick with 427 OHC Ford and intake ram tubes made out of fiberglassed toilet paper tubes. New England Dragway, 1970.

Nikkormat Ft, 50mm f2, Ektachrome 400

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:14 PM
Crashton
• •
p.77 #18 · p.77 #18 · Automotive Thread

Blakemore wrote:
1953 Pontiac Chieftain. Posted in its own thread earlier before I saw this one.

Great photo! That reminds me of dear old dad. He drove me & mom home from the hospital in his 2 year old 49 Chieftain. He was always a Pontiac man.

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:35 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.77 #19 · p.77 #19 · Automotive Thread

Can't think of New England Dragway without hearing the Sunday Sunday Sunday of the ads on the radio!

henry albert wrote:
Dyno Don Nicholson at the dawn of the pro stock era. Maverick with 427 OHC Ford and intake ram tubes made out of fiberglassed toilet paper tubes. New England Dragway, 1970.

Nikkormat Ft, 50mm f2, Ektachrome 400

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:03 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.77 #20 · p.77 #20 · Automotive Thread

"Sundaaaay" Warmup: Deltawing in the Carousel at Road America

Stars and Stripes and Curves

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:44 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.