Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

mortyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Fred Miranda wrote:
As FM members already know, I'm always improving the code mostly based on feedback and requests posted here. If you would like to contribute with constructive feedback in a respectful manner, I'm all ears.

That's good to know, and my suggestion is simply that threads are allowed to stay open for longer than what seems to be the case as of now. Personally it's mostly the images threads that I would like to keep open for a longer time.

All in a respectful manner.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Fred Miranda wrote:
There are reasons for archiving threads. We have over a million threads and without the archiving code, the entire site would slowdown considerably.
I was wrong about the "3-months" given to Anthony. This was written many years ago and I had forgotten the exact numbers.
I did a little researching and saw that the archiving code works like this:

when topic creation is older than $given_archive_age and the newest message is older than 10 days

So, if the "originated" post is older than the $given_archive_age AND the thread is not replied for 10 days after all this time, it gets archived.

Yeah, that's REALLY good to know! I was wondering how that worked specifically. Thanks Fred!!!

If it were me I'd change the "10" to a "25" but of course it's not me. Anyway I was just posting to say that for the 1st year or so of being here I thought the Archiving thing was annoying. After having been here longer I actually kinda like it - or at least don't mind it at all. All we need do for reading is post a new thread with a link to the old one in the 1st post. It just continues on. For searching there's a google mechanism that's better than the FM site search and includes the archives + current so that's taken care of as well.

So, it's all good here!

And hey while I'm at it: Thanks for running a really bitchen-cool site Mr. Miranda! This place ROCKS!
And I have a pretty good idea of how much of an extra work-load it puts on you too! So, Extra thanks for that!

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Bifurcator wrote:
...And hey while I'm at it: Thanks for running a really bitchen-cool site Mr. Miranda! This place ROCKS!
And I have a pretty good idea of how much of an extra work-load it puts on you too! So, Extra thanks for that!

+1

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

In the unlikely chance that Fred is considering a change to the archiving conditions i would vote for a nominal 28 day for the timeout criteria - 10 days does seem a little tight, certainly on the Alt forum where there are quite a few threads that are genuinely active but can go several days without bumping (especially over the Christmas-New Year period).

An alternative would be to have the ability to reactivate archived threads, but i guess that is harder to code (and possibly less desirable from an admin point of view).

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

15Bit wrote:
... 10 days does seem a little tight, certainly on the Alt forum where...

...we don't use AF...

[come on, help me out here...]

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

15Bit wrote:
In the unlikely chance that Fred is considering a change to the archiving conditions i would vote for a nominal 28 day for the timeout criteria - 10 days does seem a little tight, certainly on the Alt forum where there are quite a few threads that are genuinely active but can go several days without bumping (especially over the Christmas-New Year period).

An alternative would be to have the ability to reactivate archived threads, but i guess that is harder to code (and possibly less desirable from an admin point of view).

Let me work on extending the number of days. "Reactivating" archived threads is not very difficult code-wise. The question is.. do we really want it?...I mean, what stops someone from bringing many archived threads to the surface?

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:27 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Thanks Fred. I seem to remember we had a thread a while ago about reactivating threads and decided it wasn't such a great idea.

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Yeah, we really want that. That's a great idea.

I can see it implimented in two different ways:

1) Have a warning text pop up like in the Report Post and have it go through a Mod/Admin approval if the concern is that there will be too many - or if it becomes a problem in the future.

2) Have a warning text pop up like in the Report Post which the user has to agree to (with a check-box). You know, the usual blurb: Don't do too many - (More than 1 a month is probably too many.). Only do it if you have a good reason and think it's better than starting a new thread. etc. But doesn't need Admin/Mod approval... it just happens after the user checks the "I Agree" box.

a) Maybe put a condition that the person needs 100 posts or a paid subscription in order to resurrect?

b) And another condition where the thread needs to contain more than X number of posts before resurrection is possible. This will stop the n00b user from resurrecting 2 year old threads with only 10 posts about which printer to buy. And since almost all of the concern is over themed image threads large numbers would seem to me to be appropriate (like > 60 ?)

Anyway I think that would be a great way to satisfy the few users who have verbalized their dismay and dissatisfaction over the archiving system here. In the 4 or so years I've been here I've only read about 10 complaints. If that translated into even twice as many resurrections that's not too bad right? 20 threads in 4 years?

It seems to me that just naturally, most forum users don't like resurrecting older threads and users who do this are often chided.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

I just made a change to the code. Now, if the thread's year is older than the current year AND the thread is not replied for 25 days after all this time, it gets archived. (originally 10 days)

It seems to me that just naturally, most forum users don't like resurrecting older threads and users who do this are often chided.

I agree with this and as 15Bit wrote, a while back we had a poll asking this question and most were against reactivating archived threads. Another idea would be something like: "Reactive this thread upon Request". The request would be sent to the board moderator to be considered case by case.
Fred

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just made a change to the code. Now, if the thread's year is older than the current year AND the thread is not replied for 25 days after all this time, it gets archived. (originally 10 days)

Awesome, Thanks dude!

Fred Wrote:
I agree with this and as 15Bit wrote, a while back we had a poll asking this question and most were against reactivating archived threads. Another idea would be something like: "Reactive this thread upon Request". The request would be sent to the board moderator to be considered case by case.
Fred

Yeah, that's how I imagined my Option #1 listed above, as working. I dunno if you were thinking of a button similar to the "Report" button as I was or not but yeah, sounds the same other than that.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:55 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Thanks Fred, that seems like a decent test criteria for a dead thread.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why are active threads suddenly archived and locked?

Here's the kind of threads people often cry over when the archive hammer hits:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1056057/0
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933378/0

For example I wouldn't mind at all having those two merged together and resurrected.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.