Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Emacs wrote:
As an IPad 3 owner I like the panel of Nexus 10 more: for correct screen profile. As I told I know about workarounds, but I hate when I need to do additional work just because someone with an apple in his head decided blue cast is a cool thing. Otherwise, they are about the same: Nexus 10 has higher resolution, IPad is a bit better at large angles of view.

The iPad 3 is calibrated to sRGB. If yours isn't, there is something wrong with it. Or you have your computer screen configured too warm, and all your photos are off.

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:34 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I love the ipad, but not for editing photos. I only use mine for backup on the road.

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I kind of wonder what the point is of spending ~$700 on a 64GB iPad when for a few hundred more you can get a refurbed MacBook Air with 2-4x the storage and proper photo editing apps that is not much larger and heavier.

I guess the Retina display is nice, and the iPad has longer runtime on the battery...

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

rscheffler wrote:
I kind of wonder what the point is of spending ~$700 on a 64GB iPad when for a few hundred more you can get a refurbed MacBook Air with 2-4x the storage and proper photo editing apps that is not much larger and heavier.

I guess the Retina display is nice, and the iPad has longer runtime on the battery...

I guess most people buy the ipad for entertainment, surfing, reading,...
When you want to edit photos on the go, the macbook air certainly is a much better choice. I also have an 11inch one. The current displays in the airs are quite bad though (imho), but at least you can calibrate them.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:23 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I like my Google Nexus 10 with 300 ppi screen for viewing my hi re images.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:48 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

For me, the iPad is a wonderful tool I use to stay in touch while traveling. Things like e-mail, Internet, watching tv etc... I do upload photos to the iPad and do some basic editing just so I can e-mail the photos to friends and family when I am on the road. Serious editing is done back on my workstation with a proper colour managed workflow.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

carstenw wrote:
The iPad 3 is calibrated to sRGB. If yours isn't, there is something wrong with it. Or you have your computer screen configured too warm, and all your photos are off.

I have properly configured screen, the ipad has an obvious ugly blue cast.
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=214222
This "calibrated to sRGB" sounds ridiculous with such an obvious sample variation problem
Or my blue cast may be the way they "solved" that yellow cast issue.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:20 PM
drcph

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

While there will always be units that are lemons, all test I've seen indicate that the screen on the iPad 3 has a very good color profile - for example here:
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

In my experience, this is also true - the colors are very close to my calibrated desktop screen.

Regarding photo editing, it is not suited for more than light editing. Many apps that promote RAW editing, only edits the embedded jpeg in the RAW-file.
I've found that Snapseed suits my needs best - but I primarily use it for fast editing, eg. cropping, B/W conversion etc. on the go for web use/email/messages. For serious photo editing an ultrabook will be a much better choice.

When travelling, the iPad also functions as a backup of the photos, and together with the X100 it is a tremendous travel package - super quality in a very small package.

For viewing photos, a tablet with a portfolio app is a great tool. I think many pro photographers could implement it in their work with clients (many great portfolio apps exist for the iPad, don't know about Android tabs).

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Jochenb wrote:
I love the ipad, but not for editing photos. I only use mine for backup on the road.

Yeah, with a 64GB miniSD I thought of that too. But then 64GB SDXC cards are only about $50 these days - and of course it's much faster to change an SD card than it is to transfer 32 or 64 gigs worth of files. Additionally if you're shooting RAW and on an Apple device you can't even see them - it's just storage.

I tried out a laptop 500GB USB HDD daisy-chained through the Android phone and transferred files from the camera thru the phone to the HDD and that was doable but I think there must be better solutions. (duh, like a laptop and a USB cable... )

In my case I just can't see any useful ways to use a pad or phablet in the field for images. Sure it's a fun toy. You can use it for communications, scheduling, directions, tutorials and instructions, even to share an image or two on-line from the field. But typically speaking unless you're the type of person who walks 20 miles out of your way to buy bottled water when there was a spigot right next to you, phablets and tablets just aren't very useful to the RAW shooter - which I assume is the vast majority of us.

They're too slow, too cumbersome to use, too small IMO, and so on. On the other hand most Android phablets and phones at least, can be used for internet tethering thus giving your laptop or tablet PC every advantage that your iPad or Phablet had over it in the first place.

rscheffler wrote:

Exactly.

Highly doubtful. Transfering and editing images I guess the iPad dies after a few hours. Probably about the same as the MB-A. And of course most laptops and tablet PCs have interchangeable batteries so just carrying a spare battery or two will snuff the likes of a pad or phablet.

Edited on Dec 12, 2012 at 03:37 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, with a 64GB miniSD I thought of that too. But then 64GB SDXC cards are only about $50 these days - and of course it's much faster to change an SD card than it is to transfer 32 or 64 gigs worth of files. Additionally if you're shooting RAW and on an Apple device you can't even see them - it's just storage.

Yes but it's not about having enough memorycards, it's really for having an extra backup. You never know if something might happen to your CF/SD cards. So I'm fine with just storage. You see the jpeg previews, that's enough for me.

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Sure, in a pinch or something then why not. If you have it, use it. But as a standard means? Nya, not for me thanks... takes WAY too long! And on my camera at least the imbedded previews in the RAW images are tiny. I think they must be smaller than 1,000 pixels on the longest side - probably more like 800x600 or 640x400. So not even those are useful for anything other than differentiating the images one from the others. For android devices at least there are good RAW converters but again, for all the reasons I already specified, it just not an optimal solution.

As to the stability of CF and SD cards I guess they must be about perfect. In 10 years of heavy shooting I've had zero problems with data integrity. Lost or stolen... the cards would again be optimal as when you lose your iPad or Phablet you're out $700+ as opposed to $50.

Edited on Dec 12, 2012 at 03:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Recently got an Ipad4 16gb wi-fi
Have not used it for editing yet. But have used it for showing clients their pictures.
It is true as an earlier comment pointed out that a MacBook Air will run the editing packages perfectly. there are times when all you need is a tablet.
I decided on the 16Gb wifi because the number of times I would use the internet via 3G or 4G network is limited. If you are somewhere with wireless access to the internet then all you need is the pass code.
And I purchased a Seagate 500gb GoFlex satallite disk, which creates it's own wi-fi so no need for the 64Gb version. As everything I want can be available right out of my bag.
Saved GBP 100 by not going 3G etc saved GBP 80 by going 16gb not 32gb Seagate drive cost me GBP 130 from Amazon so saved GBP 50 on the deal and got more storage.
What's not to like about the solution .... oh ... maybe the editing thing ... I will let you know in time.

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:49 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Still however, I think the iPad and Android devices are too weak for doing such things seriously and if it were me, I would want a fast laptop! Or at least one of those laptops that transform into a tablet.

I just got a big LG Intuition "phablet" (cell phone/mini tablet) that I like loads. Another phablet alternative (for a couple of hundred dollars more) is the Samsung Galaxy Note II. This is excellent for reading and handling simple documents like a model release. It's also workable to show my portfolio for impromptu "elevator speeches." It is about the largest device I can fit into a jacket pocket or a jeans back pocket to always have with me.

I also have an aging Lenovo X60 convertable laptop/tablet that I plan to replace with a Lenovo ultrabook convertible in a few months. I need a phone and I need a laptop--those requirements are not going away. Between a convertible ultrabook and a phablet, there just is no reason for me to get a tablet.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

There are some raw convertor and editing software for iPad/iPhone like the "PhotoRaw", but since it's too slow to edit large RAW files I just leave that to my computer. On occasions I need to edit some preview images while I'm traveling I shoot RAW&JPG and use the iPad for editing and forwarding the JPG images. That's enough for low quality internet and newspaper usage. For larger prints I edit the RAW files later when I'm back to my computer.

For customer preview purposes I think iPad (or similar whatever tablet with high enough resolution) is unbeatable compared to laptops.

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Fredster2

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I bought myself an iPad Mini as it fits into my small ThinkTank Retrospective 5 camera bag.

Currently using this apps for editing:
Snappseed: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snapseed/id439438619?mt=8
Photoforge 2: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photoforge/id314173066?mt=8
which are great editors when travelling and only the iPad is around.

But none of these tools seems to be able to export images for the web/blog or whatever on the go.
So I bought another Tool for resizing, re-shapren, jpeg compression and other stuff:
Reduce: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reduce/id580474806?mt=8

Sure, a full PC still offers a better workflow, but it's good enough to post/send some pictures while you're still away.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I've recently been shopping for ultra-book (laptop) convertibles (win-8 devices) and from that experience I must conclude that iPad and tablets in general really, are no longer of any interest to me at all. Some of these with i5, 4gb ram and 128GB SSD are sub-$1k. They blow away the similarly priced $830 iPads with only 1GB RAM and slower 64GB flash storage. The connectivity alone leaves Apple's iPad in the dirt with USB 3.0, BlueTooth 4.0, built-in card readers, WiFi, mini-HDMI and so on.

Some of the smaller pads and tablets still look kinda interesting tho. There's the way overpriced iPad mini and the Galaxy line which seem like they might have a place in a photographers bag. <shrug>

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:46 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/850075/68

Cross-post

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Bifurcator wrote:
I've recently been shopping for ultra-book (laptop) convertibles (win-8 devices) and from that experience I must conclude that iPad and tablets in general really, are no longer of any interest to me at all. Some of these with i5, 4gb ram and 128GB SSD are sub-$1k. They blow away the similarly priced $830 iPads with only 1GB RAM and slower 64GB flash storage. The connectivity alone leaves Apple's iPad in the dirt with USB 3.0, BlueTooth 4.0, built-in card readers, WiFi, mini-HDMI and so on.

Some of the smaller pads and tablets still look kinda interesting tho. There's the way overpriced
...Show more

I guess to each their own. I am currently using an iPad sitting in my den on a recliner. Able to easily hold the iPad by one hand while typing with the other. Between sentences, I can take a sip of wine with my typing hand. No laptop would allow this flexibility or usability.

I process all my images on my desktop and upload jpegs to my drobox account where it is a snap to import to my Portfolio App on my iPad. Don't need anymore stinking connectivity.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:00 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Not sure why computer questions come up in the alt forum more and more.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:53 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Bifurcator wrote:

Some of the smaller pads and tablets still look kinda interesting tho. There's the way overpriced
...Show more

Agreed. I've owned a Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and iPad all at once, and they're each good for different things. I don't really enjoy creating much content with the iPad, but it is great for viewing content around the house and on the go.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:11 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password