Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Visuals
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

To edit your photos?
How has that experience been?
What are the barriers?

I find myself editing shots I've taken on my iphone with iphone aps!
Just wondering how it would be transferring my photos to my ipad and editing on the go

Thanks

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I'm getting a Mini for Christmas so I'll let you know then. I'd imagine it will be nice when I'm away from home and just want to process a few images quickly..hook the card up to the iPad and do some quick processing.

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:37 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I recently purchased a 64GB iPad with the Retina screen and am learning to use it. The screen is really great and loading files with the SD card kit is straight forward. Wireless sync with the PC at home is also convenient. I am struggling a bit with PS Touch as there is no manual and the "learn by example" approach provided doesn't cover much of the capabilities. But I did process a couple dozen photos taken during our Thanksgiving visit to our daughter, son-in-law and grandaughter in Maryland. In general the results were usable, and in processing them again from RAW on my PC with PS5 after returning home I probably only made significant improvements to half of them. But to put this in perspective the OM-D EM-5 files don't need all that much processing anyhow. I think the major difference in results between PS Touch and PS5 is that there is much finer control over most variables in PS5 but particularly with sharpening - most of the files from PS Touch turned out to be over sharpened. In general I think that the iPad adds value by allowing me to get a good feeling "in the field" for the potential of photographs, and to be able to show more-or-less final versions on the fly. I am also in the process of creating an extensive indexed portfolio of several hundred photographs on the iPad using the app "SortShots" which I think will work well for me. Hope this helps.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:07 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I'd love if it worked, but havent found a good enough raw developer. Snapseed is a neat program for editing but overall size control is weak ie hard to get a feel for sharpening. At least for me. I have an iPad with Retina and got the apple photo import kit but after a while failing to find something that could handle raw in an acceptable way I quit using it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Which RAW developers have you tried? I was looking at this one for when I get my iPad in two weeks:

https://sites.google.com/site/iphotoraw/

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:36 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I find it a great tool except for editing photos, esp. RAW, in which I find it downright lousy. Its one of those why? Its like using a screwdriver as a hammer, sure, I guess if you hit the nail a million times it may go into the wood, but a hammer does it in 2 blows. I do love showing off photos that I have PP'd on the ipad, the screen is amazing. Uploading pics is a royal PITA because I cannot use my naming convention...

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:46 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Jman13 wrote:
Which RAW developers have you tried? I was looking at this one for when I get my iPad in two weeks:

https://sites.google.com/site/iphotoraw/

That was one of them. If I remember correctly you had no chance judging the output without buying the pig in the poke first. The retina display is great, but with all Apple built-in image-size adaptation - and no control by the app - you don really have a clue how the image looks except on that very iPad in that size on that (super high density) screen.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:52 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

NO, I don't USE an IPAD!?

IS your CAPS key BROKEN?!?

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

^

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I use android stuff so this may not be relevant but both Raw Developer and Photo Mate Pro from the same company do a great job of decoding and converting RAW formats on my Galaxy Note or S3. I can do it right on the cameras themselves or upload (directly from the camera via drag & drop ) the files to the phone's 64GB MiniSD - either way. Also I can connect a mouse and keyboard to the phone and actually edit with some degree of accuracy. I suppose an Android tablet would allow the same - as both the S3 and the Galaxy Note can do it.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/photo-mate-professional/com.tsgames.pictureinfo
http://www.appbrain.com/app/raw-decoder/com.tssystems.rawdecoder

I tried just as an experiment. I didn't think it was useful myself. Although, I could see a setup like that if your clients were in the field with you and you needed to show-and-tell. Still however, I think the iPad and Android devices are too weak for doing such things seriously and if it were me, I would want a fast laptop! Or at least one of those laptops that transform into a tablet.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

We have an ipad in our workflow.We use it for categorizing LR4 jobs, editing the images for our site and blog, blogging, portfolio when we meet with clients and more.

As for editing photos. Not for raw editing but for photos we put on blog posts and our site, yes we edit on it. We want to do album designs on it but cant find an app for that.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Dont have, dont plan to have. Tablets need a lot more computing power to be useful for this. Lightweight notebook with decent HW is much better solution (much more expensive too tho).

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Visuals wrote:
To edit your photos?
How has that experience been?
What are the barriers?

I find myself editing shots I've taken on my iphone with iphone aps!
Just wondering how it would be transferring my photos to my ipad and editing on the go

Thanks

I'm using it to watch photos (iPad 3). Hate its screen profile with annoying blue cast. Tried the Nexus 10 yesterday and like it better: the tablet itself is more comfortable to hold (rubber backside, lighter) and screen with slightly higher resolution and much better color profile.
Of course, there are workaround, like using different picture profiles tuned for ipad, but it's an additional work I would love to avoid.
Anyway, future Super AMOLED panels for 10 inch tablets will pwn everything

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:53 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I'm getting an Eye-Fi Card for Christmas. I hope to use it with my 5DIII by having the camera write RAW to a CF card then write a smallish JPG to the Eye-Fi card which in turn will send it to my iPad so that I or my clients can look at the images as they are taken. Sounds cool in theory - I hope it really works that way. I already have Photogene and Photoforge2 on the iPad and have used it occasionally to edit Raw files when on the road.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I'm about to get a tablet for Xmas, and it will only be used for displaying photos. Not in the least bit interested in doing photo editing on a tablet in general, when I have a glorious 27" monitor and super powerful PC at home. I do like the fact however, that I can plug my camera into a tablet and preview my RAW files on a nice large screen.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Super AMOLED is way hypersaturated. Not sure how the Nexus 10 screen stacks up, but I've heard it's decent, but I don't think Super AMOLED is the answer. The real problem with Android for tablets is the lack of apps. There's PS Touch and then a whole bunch of large phone apps.

I have had an Android tablet (running stock ICS) for the past year, and I loved it at first. So customizable, so nice and cool. Then, over this past year, more and more little quirks have started annoying the crap out of me. Lack of tablet apps is the biggest...there just aren't that many for Android, so a lot of the time you're just dealing with these huge phone interfaces and it looks and feels terrible. Lack of design consistency is another, plus little lags here and there, plus degrading battery life. There are some pluses as well, of course. Still, I found myself longing for the simpler, more consistent, app heavy and lag-free feeling of my iPhone, so enter the iPad mini (I want a smaller form factor to make reading more comfortable, which I find awkward on the 10" device I have now).

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

AMOLED have that nice "feature" of fading away after some time (few years). Tho even that its still pretty good.

I think Retina displays are currently probably best, arent they?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Jman13 wrote:
Super AMOLED is way hypersaturated. Not sure how the Nexus 10 screen stacks up, but I've heard it's decent, but I don't think Super AMOLED is the answer.

Super AMOLED has wider gamut than any LCD (stop playing this "retina" crap, it's just ordinal high quality LCD) out there, as well as superior contrast. So it's only matter of correct color profiling: it's much better on Google Nexus S, for example, than on Samsung Galaxy S. Super AMOLED is an answer.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:23 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

Mescalamba wrote:
I think Retina displays are currently probably best, arent they?

As an IPad 3 owner I like the panel of Nexus 10 more: for correct screen profile. As I told I know about workarounds, but I hate when I need to do additional work just because someone with an apple in his head decided blue cast is a cool thing. Otherwise, they are about the same: Nexus 10 has higher resolution, IPad is a bit better at large angles of view.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:29 AM
hongkietan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DO you USE an IPAD!?

I use the iPad as an secondary monitor for the tools and panels for photoshop when editing on a laptop using airdisplay. My main retina screen is much more useful and uncluttered in that configuration .

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:38 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password