New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

All of my previous Canon DSLR's were set to pre focus by partially depressing the shutter trigger. If in AIservo mode the camera would track as long as I had my finger on the shutter trigger.

With the 1Dx and the ability to move the focus control to the back of the camera, say AF on button or the * button, once you do that, does the button have to be continuously pressed to track in AIservo mode or

Hopefully I have made my question easily understood as it seems to me if I was going to track a subject it would be easier to have the focus tied to the shutter release trigger.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance....

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

I believe you have to hold down the button to track subjects no matter which one you assign it to. A single press and release on the back buttons would be equivalent to One Shot. That's one of the advantages of separating the AF from the shutter release button. You can get AI-Servo and One Shot modes at once.

If you have never done it before give yourself plenty of time to acclimate to it before doing anything important. I could never get used to it. I switch from horizontal to vertical position quite a bit and always had trouble finding the back buttons. YMMV

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:33 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

I have been using this technique since the first 1 d series camera. I could not shoot with the shutter button controlling the focus. Once you have used this technique, it is far easier to shoot moving subjects, especially if they are stopping and starting all the time.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

I've used the "back button AF" technique on every EOS camera I've had since the 5D/40D vintage. You can probably setup the 1DX to do AF on the shutter button, but I think you'll be much better off if you get used to separating AF from exposure/shutter. Try it, you'll like it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

If you want to keep using the shutter button for AF, I would at least map the AF-ON or * button to stopping AF whilst pushed. I would recommend using * button for centre point and registering an off centre point and using AF-ON button for that point. Also turn on different AF point for different orientation.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:06 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

WarrenL wrote:
I have been using this technique since the first 1 d series camera. I could not shoot with the shutter button controlling the focus. Once you have used this technique, it is far easier to shoot moving subjects, especially if they are stopping and starting all the time.

I have to laugh, I have had a 1D, 1DMkII and the 1DsMkIII and have to admit that I never knew that I could do that. Shows what I know or dont really know. In the case of the 1Dx I found an article on line that talked about what all the settings should be, or at least to start with and I never knew that this was available but it was mentioned in the article. Also the camera came with the AF/on button controlling the focus and the shutter trigger just triggering.

Took me a while to figure out what was different. I do admit, that there are aspects of that I like. So I will try to get used to it.

thanks for commenting!

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:35 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

ggreene wrote:
I believe you have to hold down the button to track subjects no matter which one you assign it to. A single press and release on the back buttons would be equivalent to One Shot. That's one of the advantages of separating the AF from the shutter release button. You can get AI-Servo and One Shot modes at once.

If you have never done it before give yourself plenty of time to acclimate to it before doing anything important. I could never get used to it. I switch from horizontal to vertical position quite a bit and always had trouble finding
...Show more thanks for commenting! I hopefully will get a chance to try it out with my golden retriever this coming weekend. As I mentioned before, I was not aware of this feature......after figuring what it did I suspected your comments above. you confirmed them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:38 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

jcolwell wrote:
I've used the "back button AF" technique on every EOS camera I've had since the 5D/40D vintage. You can probably setup the 1DX to do AF on the shutter button, but I think you'll be much better off if you get used to separating AF from exposure/shutter. Try it, you'll like it.
wow, am I naive! I had D30, 1D, 20D, 40D, 5DII, 7D, 1DII, 1DsIII and now the 1Dx......makes me wonder what else I am missing....lol

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:40 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question on how 1Dx focus AIservo works

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If you want to keep using the shutter button for AF, I would at least map the AF-ON or * button to stopping AF whilst pushed. I would recommend using * button for centre point and registering an off centre point and using AF-ON button for that point. Also turn on different AF point for different orientation.
good suggestion.....I am sure there are others that are good tips as well....thanks!

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.