Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Backboard camera issues

MCams

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backboard camera issues

I'm the photographer for a local college. The past few seasons have mounted a camera to a basketball backboard and got some good results.

This season they installed new backboards. The camera was installed like before and the remote fired and worked fine when I tested it about 90 minutes before the game. During the game nothing worked. My hunch is that the new backboard with it's new 24 secind clock must be emitting some kind of signal that is interferring with the signal from my remote.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this?

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:42 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backboard camera issues

What remote triggers are you using?

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:46 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backboard camera issues

Do you have a picture of the set up?

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backboard camera issues

Are you using Multimax's? If so, use the noise sniffer and check different channels. The shot clock might be putting out enough noise to mess with the channel you are on. And consider yourself lucky. University of Colorado does not allow backboard remotes, no matter how many different ways I read the rule to them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:52 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backboard camera issues

Carl Auer wrote:
And consider yourself lucky. University of Colorado does not allow backboard remotes, no matter how many different ways I read the rule to them.

You can always call the NCAA head office and have them call the school about that. Usually they tell the school if you have the proper credentials and insurance, they have to comply.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backboard camera issues

Is the PW (or other remote) touching anything metal? Is it free standing?

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:32 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backboard camera issues

Carl Auer wrote:
And consider yourself lucky. University of Colorado does not allow backboard remotes, no matter how many different ways I read the rule to them.

Carl, which rule are you reading to them? Are you trying to mount to the backboard or the shot clock?

NCAA 2011-12 AND 2012-13 MEN'S AND WOMEN'S RULES
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR13.pdf
Section 17:
Logos, names or equipment of any kind (including school and conference logos or names, cameras and microphones) shall not be permitted on the backboards, rings, padding around the backboards, or on the shot clocks. Cameras and microphones are permitted on the shot clocks when they are recessed such that they do not extend beyond the plane of the back edge of the backboard.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:53 PM
MCams

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backboard camera issues

Attached is an image of the remote system. I'll try to get a shot of the backboard set up this weekend. On the 24 second clock which is new this year it says 'Daktronics' if that means anything to anyone.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:43 AM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backboard camera issues

I'm going out on a limb here and say that it's probably a combination of the cheaper trigger and metal/interference on the new goal. If you are going to do remotes in a basketball arena, invest in pocketwizards.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backboard camera issues

mkchang wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here and say that it's probably a combination of the cheaper trigger and metal/interference on the new goal. If you are going to do remotes in a basketball arena, invest in pocketwizards.

+1000

I ran into this same issue. and now PW are my standard remote systems.

Matt

Dec 13, 2012 at 05:07 AM
Richard Rowe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backboard camera issues

I have to agree with mkchang on this one.

Dec 13, 2012 at 07:32 PM
MCams

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backboard camera issues

Phew there seems to be an endless array of alternative devices and setups with Pocketwizard gear to remotely fire a backboard camera.

I already have a pocketwizard Plus II Transceiver to fire the overhead strobes in our arena. What other devices and cables will I need to also fire the backboard camera, and can I set it up to shoot in continuous mode?

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backboard camera issues

Pre trigger cable

and another pocketwizard to hook to it. Set the drive mode to Continuous and just hold down the test button and you get max FPS until the buffer fills. You will also need a couple of Superclamps and a mounting arm. Oh and the most important thing is liability insurance and approval to do it. Oh yeah and some safety cables.

Matt

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Richard Rowe
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backboard camera issues

Just a few remote setups.

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:59 AM
coons10

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backboard camera issues

Carl Auer wrote:
Are you using Multimax's? If so, use the noise sniffer and check different channels. The shot clock might be putting out enough noise to mess with the channel you are on. And consider yourself lucky. University of Colorado does not allow backboard remotes, no matter how many different ways I read the rule to them.

Carl, it seems to me that CU's rules can be more restrictive than the NCAA rules. The NCAA rules are simply the broadest definition of what is permitted, but each school can decide what their arena can accommodate. (Or more likely, what their facilities guys are willing to accommodate.)

Cheers.....

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:06 AM
MCams

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backboard camera issues

Assuming I get the right cable can I use another Pocketwizard Plus II to comunicate with my other Plus II to fire both cameras or will I need to get a Multi Max or Flex TT5 as the second transeiver.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backboard camera issues

mkchang wrote:

This isn't necessarily directed at the OP of this thread but, in general, setting up remotes isn't an area one should to try to nickel-and-dime a set-up. Buy the right gear and do it the right way. There's too much that can go wrong by buying inferior gear and not doing it right.

Also, I know there is a lot of expensive gear in this business but IMO Pocket Wizards are pretty inexpensive given their reputation and reliability. Buy PWs (and necessary cables) and do it right and all will be good.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password