Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

escandon23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

I seem to have issues with the AF points through the view finder. The problem is that all of a sudden, the AF points are on but not illuminated in my view finder but do not actually focus(light up) on a specific point. what it does, when it beeps because it thinks it has focused on the point, the whole view finder lights up red? and when i check my photos in aperture, they are not in focus on the spot i focused on. the Lens is in af mode? i turn the camera off and the points are still in the view finder, although not illuminated they obstruct my view when i am not pushing the shutter button? they only way they turn off is if the battery is removed but come back when i put it back in? Does any one know what I may be doing wrong, or have heard of this being a known issue?

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:03 AM
escandon23

p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

sorry, also noticed that their is an exclamation mark in the view finder bottom right?

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:10 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

It sounds like it is more a matter of setting rather than a real AF issue to me but of course, I don't know that for sure. If push comes to shove, you can reset the camera back to the factory setting (page 56) and start over again. BTW, the exclamation mark on the viewfinder indicates a warning (duuh ). You can look up page 318 on the manual what causes that. Again, chances are that it would clear up if you reset the camera to the factory setting. Keep us posted, please.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:59 PM
escandon23

p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

Thanks, but i have already did the pg.56 resetting. And i looked up on pg.318 before posting. but when one normally looks through the view finder its clear and you can see your subject, and when half pressed on the shutter button, you get a number of af points illuminated red followed by a beep and you snap. My case when i look through, i have my view obstructed because it shows the grid lines and the 61 af points and its also dimmed even before pressing a button. when i do half press the shutter button, the whole screen on my view finder illuminates and none of the af points light up?
only way the view is clear or the af and gridlines come off is if i remove the battery?

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

After resetting, did the exclamation mark disappear though? Not that it matters in your case but I am curious.

What is the AF point selection you are using now? I mean how many selectable AF points did you choose? You can reduce the number of the AF point and you can get rid of the grid as well. What is your AF area selection? Are you letting the camera choose the AF point/points automatically or are you deliberately selecting the AF point on your own? Basically all that is covered in the 4th square of the AF (purple) mode. This is covered starting on page 72 of the manual. Just go through the process slowly but methodically. I know it is tedious but the camera is quite complex.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

Do you have the latest firmware?

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:04 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

wish I had mine with me so I could recall the menus, but there are options to show all 61 AF points at all times and to show a grid in the viewfinder. sounds like these may be on?

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

escandon23

p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

AGeoJO wrote:
After resetting, did the exclamation mark disappear though? Not that it matters in your case but I am curious.

What is the AF point selection you are using now? I mean how many selectable AF points did you choose? You can reduce the number of the AF point and you can get rid of the grid as well. What is your AF area selection? Are you letting the camera choose the AF point/points automatically or are you deliberately selecting the AF point on your own? Basically all that is covered in the 4th square of the AF (purple) mode. This is
...Show more

after resetting the warning did not go away. and since i reset the af points chosen were the default? not sure which one but the af points do not illuminate to show me what im focused on anyway. even turned off the af points and grid lines do not go away. i have went through the process with canon as well and the tech guy was reading the script and also walked me through the setting you guys are mentioning. but seems like its a chip or hardware issue. issue arouse when i was changing from af to manual focus on the lens. and intermittently the screen dimmed and all the af points were visible with the grid lines.

goosemang wrote:
wish I had mine with me so I could recall the menus, but there are options to show all 61 AF points at all times and to show a grid in the viewfinder. sounds like these may be on?

no i tried these and enabled and disabled them as well.nothing

i also tried to update firmware from canon site and was told no update avail?

called b&h and they are exchanging. happy about the exchange but not about canceling my apt. for the weekend.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:38 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

On one hand it seems like it could be only a setting issue but on the other since you got the OK from B&H to exchange the camera, why not do it? Sorry that you miss the appointment but it can be rescheduled again, right? Better than showing up with a camera that doesn't function properly, I would say.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:47 PM
escandon23

p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

AGeoJO wrote:
On one hand it seems like it could be only a setting issue but on the other since you got the OK from B&H to exchange the camera, why not do it? Sorry that you miss the appointment but it can be rescheduled again, right? Better than showing up with a camera that doesn't function properly, I would say.

so true on giving client out of focus images! and yes they are checking on rescheduling. thanks guys!

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:41 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

escandon23 wrote:
I seem to have issues with the AF points through the view finder. The problem is that all of a sudden, the AF points are on but not illuminated in my view finder but do not actually focus(light up) on a specific point. what it does, when it beeps because it thinks it has focused on the point, the whole view finder lights up red? and when i check my photos in aperture, they are not in focus on the spot i focused on. the Lens is in af mode? i turn the camera off and the points are still
...Show more

RTFM. Displaying all points all the time is a custom setting; you can change it to only display the selected point. Instead of the individual dots, the new viewfinder flashes red when AF on the selected point is achieved. when you select a point the same thing happens

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:42 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

I had the exclaimation mark in my view finder a few weeks ago. It was one or more settings on the camera that caused it to operate out of its ordinary mode. I forgot what I did to reset it.. I think I changed from M to AV or something like that...

Here's a bit more info on the mark from dpreview

"The other advantage to the viewfinder's electronic overlay is the addition of a customizable warning. Depending on how you like to shoot, you can configure the camera to show a warning exclamation mark (!) in a small triangle at the bottom right of the viewfinder. It can be configured to signify one of the following shooting parameters is active:
Monochrome shooting ISO Expansion
WB Shift Spot Metering
One-touch Quality Auto Lighting Optimizer"

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:51 PM
escandon23

p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark III AF Issue!!!

timbop wrote:
RTFM. Displaying all points all the time is a custom setting; you can change it to only display the selected point. Instead of the individual dots, the new viewfinder flashes red when AF on the selected point is achieved. when you select a point the same thing happens

Wow cause i havent RTFM! so this is suppose to happen when the camera is off as well?

4x4rock wrote:
I had the exclaimation mark in my view finder a few weeks ago. It was one or more settings on the camera that caused it to operate out of its ordinary mode. I forgot what I did to reset it.. I think I changed from M to AV or something like that...

Here's a bit more info on the mark from dpreview

"The other advantage to the viewfinder's electronic overlay is the addition of a customizable warning. Depending on how you like to shoot, you can configure the camera to show a warning exclamation mark (!) in a small triangle at the
...Show more

thanks but the manual says the same thing, and i reset the settings and nothing. Canon walked me through the steps to disable and were on the settings already when i selected the menus, also the b&h tech said it could be a focus ring on the lens issue but my seemed fine as it is only a week old and was not cracked or broken.

wish it was a setting issue!

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password