Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

coons10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

OK guys tell me what to do? I finally get to upgrade to a FF sensor but I don't quite have enough cash for the 5D3. So I have to choose between the 6D or the 5D2.

6D Body Only is $2,100, or w/24-105 bundle is $2,700.
5D2 Body Only is $1,800, or w/24-105 bundle is $2,500.

The 6D body alone is $300 more than the 5D2 body, but with the bundles the difference is only $200. So far I only own one piece of L glass, so I'm leaning toward one of the bundles.

I primarily shoot landscapes but I do some sports stuff too. (I know that neither of these bodies is a great action shooter, but I can deal with those limitations)

Is the older technology on the 5D2 a serious problem when comparing these two bodies? Early reviews of the 6D seem pretty solid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

Buy a used 5DII and spend the money on lenses. You can get a good one for $1300-1400. I would say the 24-105 is a good all in one lens. You can get one for $600 used.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM
coons10

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

You are probably right, I should invest in glass. I just don't want to get a used body though...

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:12 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

The only problem with the "older" tech on the 5D II is limited to banding in the shadows when you start pushing the exposure. The newer sensors from Nikon and even the 6D seem to be better in this regard. With landscapes having the larger DR in the newer sensors is definitely a benefit, but not a deal breaker. I shot a 5D -- even older tech--- for 5 1/2 years up until last month, so older tech doesn't have to be an issue as long as you know what the limitations are. If I had been shooting with a 5D II instead of a 5D there is a pretty good chance I would have continued to use it despite the release of the 6D. I was never all that fond of the 24-105 except as a travel lens. I was happy to carry a 17-40 and 70-200 for more range.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:18 AM
user222
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

IMO the 5DII is the best deal in the canon lineup right now. It's a proven camera, with stable firmware.
If you have a bunch of CF cards, you won't have to buy new cards.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:01 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

Some of the best landscape photos I've seen are with a 5D II and a 24-105. And it's because the guy knows what he's doing and is a wizard in post. Point? The tools work. No way I'd pay that much for a 5D II right now though. I'd try to go < 1400

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:08 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

moonpeep wrote:
Some of the best landscape photos I've seen are with a 5D II and a 24-105. And it's because the guy knows what he's doing and is a wizard in post. Point? The tools work. No way I'd pay that much for a 5D II right now though. I'd try to go < 1400

I didn't mean to imply that the 24-105 wasn't a good lens, it just didn't excite me because I happen to shoot a lot right around 20mm -- which it doesn't do. But if 24mm fits your vision then its certainly a useful lens, and a great bargain now.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:30 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

At a price difference of just 200$ the 6D is a no brainer imo. The price difference between 5DmkII and 6D will grow in the near future because the 6D is really a lot more EOSfun for the money. The 5DmkII is still a great camera, and the feel is bit more substantial, but at the same time it is not enough to convince at a price point only 200$ below the 6D with the better sensor, WiFi (which is definitely not just a gimmick for a landscape and sportsphotographer like you are), low light capabilities etc. I would not leave all that for just a 200$ price difference.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:34 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

Buy used and you can save over $800 on a 5d2 24-105 setup. With that savings you can get yourself a nice 17-40 lens and you can shoot with this combo for years to come. In the end, you would not notice any difference between a 6d landscape or a 5d2 landscape photo.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:12 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

chez wrote:
Buy used and you can save over $800 on a 5d2 24-105 setup. With that savings you can get yourself a nice 17-40 lens and you can shoot with this combo for years to come. In the end, you would not notice any difference between a 6d landscape or a 5d2 landscape photo.

+1
The only reasons IMO to opt for the 6D would be
- smaller size
- the -3 ev center AF point
- slightly less banding in shadows and high ISO performance
- WiFi (this could come in really handy for TSE and other low level "close to the ground" shooting)
- 4.5 FPS; just a bit faster than the 5D2

If the above doesn't matter to you get the 5D2...it's IQ is fantastic and it seems it handles morie better when shooting movies... The lenses Chez mentioned make a nice kit, add one of the 70-200Ls and you've got quite a trio of glass!

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:52 AM
coons10

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

The lenses Chez mentioned make a nice kit, add one of the 70-200Ls and you've got quite a trio of glass!

Actually that is exactly my plan. I've already got a 70-200L and would add a 17-40L along with the bundled 24-105L.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:09 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

I think it depends what you mostly use your planned FF camera for. If you tend to shoot often at higher ISO and you will rely more often on AF, the 6D with its slightly improved sensor might be the best deal. For landscapes and lower ISO settings you will not profit from the 6D more than with the 5D II.

As others said, the 5D II is a proven camera. You might want to go for it if you find a very good deal for it, which would allow you to vest the price difference compared to a new 6D in good glass.

Another point is to consider how much you are already vested in the Canon system. Sounds like you have one cropped sensor Canon camera to upgrade from. If you are not too heavily vested in Canon yet, it might be worthwhile to look to the dark (Nikon) side since they have IMO better FF DSLRs currently on the market.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

I would go with the 5DII. It's a much more proven camera body, and it still takes amazing pictures. As the other members have said, it's a great landscape camera.

-Nick

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

nburwell wrote:
I would go with the 5DII. It's a much more proven camera body, and it still takes amazing pictures. As the other members have said, it's a great landscape camera.

-Nick

This is of course true, but I would never ever buy it at a price point 200$ below the 6D kit now. It's only a good advice if you do like some others said above: buy second hand and save 800$-1000$ on a kit. But since the OP already made it clear he wants to buy new anyway, I see no reason to buy a 5DmkII kit. The 6D is the better choice now and the resellers of old stock will sell them to the real 5D lovers. For example those who want the exact same body in their setup with another 5D mk II, or those who prefer ergonomics of the 5D mk II. Reality is that for most other buyers in this price class now the 6D is the better choice. Have EOSfun

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

5d 2 used for ~1400

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

The 5D-two is tried and true.
Dependability trumps when you are in the real world, at least for me. I have put 75K exposures on mine.

The thing about shadows areas has never been an issue for me. Expose correctly or use exposure bracketing (+2 / 0 / -2) to capture all your tones.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:08 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

How long after a body is "obsolete" does Canon continue to produce its parts? I was just reading a horror story on another post about a guy who has an 85L that's now a 1300 dollar paper weight.

Does anyone know how long the 5d2 will be covered? That's something to take into account, I would think, especially if buying new.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

zquaratella wrote:
How long after a body is "obsolete" does Canon continue to produce its parts? I was just reading a horror story on another post about a guy who has an 85L that's now a 1300 dollar paper weight.

Does anyone know how long the 5d2 will be covered? That's something to take into account, I would think, especially if buying new.

And this is exactly the way Canon likes to have you think! Being afraid to buy an older model since it might not be fixed in the soon future after you purchased the item. DSLRs are electronics which are replaced in a 3 year cycle (the more expensive ones) or even earlier. The probability is high that you will be fine with an "outdated" (?) camera like the 5D II for many years to come until you can switch to a new tool/camera later on.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

Easy choice here (fore me). Better sensor/IQ, more reliable AF, higher ISO capabilities, less (if not no) banding at ISO 6.400, better ooc jpegs, Usable pics up to ISO 25k and the center AF point sensitive to -3 EV. Additional wifi and GPS. MA at both zoom ends.
Better weight, size, build. All at a 10% higher price?

What you lose:
1/8000 (I never needed)
CF card (who really cares?)
joystick (stupid decission by Canon imo)

I love the 5D II. For me the best camera Canon manufactured in digital till last generation. But it is topped by 1D X, 5D III, 6D now.
And 6D sales start at nearly the actual 5D II price. This 200 € difference imo make the decission easy.

Ralph

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:08 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D or 5D2 for first FF body?...

5d2, used.

But since you don't want to buy used-- a sentiment I don't at all understand in this case-- then 6D.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.