New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Lens buying decision -- Help

ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens buying decision -- Help

24-70 is good choice for portrait and 16-35 for landscape...
for wedding, I'd suggest 24-70.. great all around lends.

/r
Andy

Dec 13, 2012 at 07:55 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens buying decision -- Help

I would rather have the 16-35 and any 50 even 1.8. 24-70 probably good for weddings though. 16-35 great for for landscapes, you can take lots of great landscapes with either but I like uwa quite often. For portraits I'd use 70-200 mostly unless I had.a group

Dec 14, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Pamir

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Hello all,

Got a bit busy with unexpected schedules. Anyhow, I read and re-read all the comments. Quite helpful to re-look at and reassess my needs, and wants. Here is what I might settle on. I think I will go with Canon older version 24-70 2.8 Mark I + 16-35 Mark II and sell my 24-105. My 70-200 F2.8 Mark II is on its way -- keeping my finger crossed for a good copy or else. Adorama offered two B+W filters with this purchase, looks like a good deal (B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Glass Filter and B + W 77mm #102 0.6 (4x) Neutral Density Glass Filter). The reason I want to sell 24-105 is that indoor portraits is not sharp, but outside it is really sharp. Although 24mm in 24-70 is wide enough for many, many situations, but I believe it cannot offer the drama and "wow" factor of 16-35. Stitching is a great proposition and technique and I will entertain it, but on the go and crowded areas it is a bit challenging, specially for me.

Now, I have to find a good used copy for 16-35 Mark II and particularly 24-70 Mark I. Would appreciate ideas where to find them and what would be a good price. Today Canon offered refurbished EF lenses, but for the second time I am not receiving their email regarding this sale. When I do, the "good" lenses are all gone. It happened on Cyber Monday as well and I even called Canon, but to no effect. IMO Canon does not have an efficient, streamlined customer service.

Once I leave, hopefully I will be able to post some photos with descriptions. This country is full of history and I hope I can capture some and share it here.

Once again, thank you all for the great ideas, comments, suggestions... This site is very helpful and quite fun to read.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:04 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Pamir wrote:
Hello all,

I am new here. I enjoy reading this photography site. Anyhow, about a month ago I took advantage of the Canon sale/rebate offer for Canon 5D Mark II with the 24-105L kit lens (decided to sell the lens). Quite a leap from Rebel Xti with kit and some EF-S lenses. Now, I decided that I want to spend some serious dough on 70-200 F2.8L Mark II and another L lens. However I cannot decide between 16-35 F2.8 Mark II or 24-70 F2.8 Mark II. Reason being I don't know which one fits my needs best. Soon I will
...Show more

B&H (and others) are selling the 70-200 2.8 IS II for $1999

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:54 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens buying decision -- Help

24-70 hands down. I think you will find yourself wishing you had more length than a wider fov. 16-35 is really, really wide for an all around lens. I would personally take the 24-70 and a fast prime of your choice.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens buying decision -- Help

A good companion is the 20mm f2.8 if you can find it cheap; you might not use it often, but it's very useful.

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:20 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens buying decision -- Help

24-70II wider than 24 is really really wide and not as useful as 24-70 which is the best working range. If you miss the ultra wide later add a samyang 14 of tokina 16-28.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.