Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Pamir

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Hello all,

I am new here. I enjoy reading this photography site. Anyhow, about a month ago I took advantage of the Canon sale/rebate offer for Canon 5D Mark II with the 24-105L kit lens (decided to sell the lens). Quite a leap from Rebel Xti with kit and some EF-S lenses. Now, I decided that I want to spend some serious dough on 70-200 F2.8L Mark II and another L lens. However I cannot decide between 16-35 F2.8 Mark II or 24-70 F2.8 Mark II. Reason being I don't know which one fits my needs best. Soon I will be travelling to Afghanistan for cousin and another childhood friend's wedding and to see this place. Obviously I will have my camera out in these parties taking pictures -- bride and groom, group pictures and portraits. In addition, I am interested in landscape photography as well during this travel and in general. So, my difficulty in deciding is which one of these lenses would fit my needs better? I am not going to make money from this investment but I love to do wedding photography, someday. Regardless, I value photography. A hundred or more years from now on, this is the best gift you can give to your family, friends, etc. If I may add, do you all recommend any of these stores such as B and H, Adorama or Amazon.com besides many others. I am asking about purchasing experiences in terms of better "luck" concerning lens variations. Thank you "Trenchmoneky" for suggesting to move this post over here.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Don Ellis
• • •
p.1 #2 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Personally, for travel and big groups and just getting everything in -- sometimes in a small bazaar where you can't back up -- I would buy the 16-35mm and add a 50/1.4 for dim lights and as an interim focal length between your 35 on the wide-angle and your 70 on the telephoto.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:53 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lens buying decision -- Help

There's a bit of a gap in coverage from 35mm to 70mm if you go with the 16-35 and 70-200 combo, but if you like landscapes having that wide angle will be handy in some cases.

You could partially fill the gap by also getting a 50mm fast prime lens, which would also help in low-light indoor situation.

I mostly do people photography, so I don't have any ultrawide zooms (yet), prefering the mid-range zooms for what I do the most of.

Either one has its merits, and you really can't go far wrong with either one. You may need to just flip a coin. (And then get the other one as your next purchase.)

[Edit: Looks like Don and I were typing at the same time, and we seem to agree. (Whew!)]

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 03:57 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:55 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Since you have the 24-105L, you know better than we do if 24mm is wide enough for you.

There are many good Camera stores, Adorama & B&H are good. Amazon is not a camera store, they just sell them but will not advise you or help you out.

The best advice is to buy local. Prices are usually about the same, and you get advice, support, and service. There are variations in lenses, which is another reason to buy locally, if a lens does not live up to expectations, they should be willing to help you get one that does.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:57 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Don Ellis wrote:
Personally, for travel and big groups and just getting everything in -- sometimes in a small bazaar where you can't back up -- I would buy the 16-35mm and add a 50/1.4 for dim lights and as an interim focal length between your 35 on the wide-angle and your 70 on the telephoto.

+1

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:58 AM
joezasada
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Don Ellis wrote:

+1, that's what I have done. the 16-35 is much, much more useful on the wider end of things than the 24-70; and a 50mm prime will be a good ace in the sleeve if it gets dark/dim or if you really need something at that focal length.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lens buying decision -- Help

I love the 16-35 as a general travel lens, but find the 24-70 much more useful for "events" and general shooting. Plus, the new version II is higher IQ than the 16-35II. The 24-70 and 70-200 are a perfect set.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:19 PM
sfcyclist

p.1 #8 · Lens buying decision -- Help

On your 5DII I would suggest the 24-70.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:36 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #9 · Lens buying decision -- Help

I would suggest the 24-70 (mk I or mk II). I have both the 16-35 and the 24-70, for the trip you have planned and type of photography, either a 24-70 or 24-105 is the way I would go. Any UWA lens (16-35) takes some time to get the hang of and can be somewhat limited for people. I would stick with one of the 24-xx lenses - if you need really wide landscape, just shoot several (even handheld) and stitch them together for a nice panorama. Personally, I would take a 24-105 along with the 70-200. The 24-105 is a nice size, covers a broad FL and has IS. It is just a great travel lens. For weddings, the 24-70 (esp the mk II) is hard to beat.

You might want to take a flash along too (as you know, no built-in with the 5D. The 580 or 600 series are great with the 5D.

Jim

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Only you can really decide; those are quite different lenses.

What caused you to want to get rid of the 24-105? I find that the best "all-around" lens; it is on my FF camera far more than either my 16-35 or my 28-70 (both of which are great for the quite rare time I want them).

We all have different preferences for what we shoot, and how we shoot them. For instance, I like panoramas far more than a low-resolution landscape with the 16-35 (I've even taken the same shot with the 16-35 and a much longer focal length, stitching together to make the same FOV, and I much prefer the stitched image).

If 24 isn't wide enough for you, then you have your answer. If 24 is wide enough for you, you have your answer. And only you know whether 24 generally is wide enough for you.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #11 · Lens buying decision -- Help

If you are considering a 24-70 2.8 II, you could get the 16-35 and a 24-70 2.8 I for about the same money. It would be a little more buying new, but if you are not opposed to buying used, you could maybe do it cheaper. That is the route I would go.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM
castlekeeper01
• •
p.1 #12 · Lens buying decision -- Help

B&H and Adorama are heavily invested in retailing photography gear; service and wide inventory are their strengths. Amazon is strictly a middle man. Having said that, Canon doesn't ship more defective products to any particular retailer. If you do have a problem, who would you prefer to deal with?

As to lens choice - you made it pretty clear that you highly value the family photos. The 24-70 is the better portrait lens over the 16-35, by far, unless you are shooting large groups in small spaces. 16-35 close up head shots are not as flattering as slightly longer focal lengths. I ditto the 50 1.4 recommendation, too. Cheap and very helpful. Haven't been to Afghanistan, but I hear the power grid isn't so reliable. I'd be taking a low light lens, for sure.

Also ditto noticing the 24-105 doesn't get the credit it deserves for a terrific photojournalism lens. It's is the best of the three for walk around and driving. I hear the roads and transportation in Afghanistan are also unreliable and rough. I'd be thankful for an IS lens I could shoot out the window of a car, or bus.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lens buying decision -- Help

I'd consider the 17-40 f4L (new or used) and then look for a 28-70 f2.8L used. The 28-70 is a great lens and good value used. Only on rare occasions so I miss the 4mm and that is usually when I am using a crop sensor.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:49 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Great suggestions above, either lens plus a fast prime or two would be my choice.

My target three lens kit is the 17-40L, 24-70 f4L IS and 70-200 f4L IS (I can't afford the f2.8 glass just yet). But given my budget I'm more likely to get the 24-105 f4L IS, I've seen the images that it can produce and they are stellar. I'll probably get the 6D kit with the 24-105 just for the extra 35mm in reach, and be quite happy.

What I've been using is film and crop digital bodies. On my crop bodies I usually carry the 10-22, 50 f1.4, 70-200L (and 100L IS macro). On FF (only film so far) bodies I use the 17-40L for ultra wide, but if I had the money I'd get the 16-35L II hands down.

Regarding the 16-35, as Michelle mentioned above, ultra wide lens require a bit of practice, below 24mm distortion can get pretty funky, but it's also quite usable; even correctable in post...

No mater which lens you choose I'd pick up a faster prime like the 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 or 85 f1.8...any of these three can really help in lower light situations, are lighter and less noticed...even the 35 f2 is a nice little lens!

Best wishes on your trip, enjoy family n friends and the wedding; they are quite the event
Jerry

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:24 AM
kimloris

p.1 #15 · Lens buying decision -- Help

How many pictures have you taken so far with your 5d2 and 24-105 ?
Looking into that may give you an idea on your preferred focal but I tend to agree with some other poster than 24 is wide. It is really too wide for me and I shoot most of my pics at 35mm and more.

Like StarNut, I also wonder why selling the 24-105 which is a good travel lens: lightweight and with IS for low-light stills.
If moving to F2.8, I would take both the 16-35 and the 24-70 but if I had to chose one, it would be 24-70.

As StillFingerz said, a fast prime is a must.... 2.8 is too often not fast enough.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:12 AM
mikesjo
• • •
p.1 #16 · Lens buying decision -- Help

For traveling I'd recommend the 24-105 since it's a lot lighter and covers a good range. Starting out, I'd save some money and go with the 24-70 mk1. A friend has both and she decided to sell the mk2 as neither of us could tell the difference between the mk1 and mk2, they were both equally sharp on both cameras.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:21 AM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lens buying decision -- Help

24-70 II , unless you know that you'll be OK w/ a wide angle zoom. 16-35 is REALLY wide if you're not used to it. it was wide on 1.3x sensor and that was too wide for me as a standard walk about zoom... I couldn't handle it. your mileage may vary, of course. good luck!! would love to see afghanistan... someday!!

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:47 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Lens buying decision -- Help

If I were in your situation and had to choose two lenses, and only two, I'd go with the 16-35 and the 70-200; it's a basic reportage kit.

But your question is tricky. Remember that having two lenses and one body means swapping out lenses on the fly.

Wedding photography one day? Then you can't go wrong owning all three lenses, and another body.

But seriously, for pending travel, the 16-35 might come in very handy. And the 70-200 (if you know how to use it) is stunning.

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:55 AM
Suresh T

p.1 #19 · Lens buying decision -- Help

You didn't mention your budget, but I agree with others that between the 24-70 II and the 16-35 II, I'd lean towards the 24-70 II. It has "better IQ" supposedly (if it matters at this quality!), pairs better with the 70-200 II focal length range wise, and I'd wait to see if I really needed wider than 24 mm (especially coming from the XTi's crop sensor). If you go with the 16-35 II, you'll likely feel the need to fill the 35-70 mm range, and it sounds like you're looking for just one more lens at this point.

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Lens buying decision -- Help

Above I suggested the 16-35 and 70-200. In thinking about your situation I'd heed the advice of others; the 24-70 and 70-200 is hard to beat. Upon reflection, the 16-35 is harder to master than the 24-70.

Remember that using two lenses can in itself be hard work when traveling.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password