Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

dre1074

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

I am going to be doing some shots in a gym with poor lighting. My equipment is D600, Nikon 24-70, 70-200, & 85 1.8g. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for the gym shots? Some of them will be motion/action shots. Any advice is welcome or lens suggestions that I have or don't have because I need a reason to buy another lens.

Thank you in advance....Dre

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:37 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

Don't be afraid to turn the ISO up, and the 70-200 will probably be attached most of the time. Usually a low vantage point works well. If you want a reason to get another lens, the 200 f/2 would be a good choice however, its usually out of most peoples budget, including mine... probably forever,

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:14 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

Hi Dre,
don't know if you're talking about martial arts/boxing shots - in this case I love to drag the shutter (for training shots). A D600 with 24-70 is close to perfect for this kind of stuff.
A Speedlight is a must in my opinion (I'm still using a bgunch of old SB-800's).
Depending on how "dirty" I want the final pictures I gel the flash to match the usual ugly ambient light or not ;-)
Usually I shoot at around f/4, ISO1600 to 3200, shutterspeed around 1/25sec.

D700, ISO1600, 24mm at f/4, cropped a bit, 1/25sec, flash not gelled to match the yellow ambient light

D700, ISO1600, 28/2 Ai at f/4, 1/25sec., no gel on SB800 - PPed to suit a weird taste ;-)

Hope this helps and please excuse my bad English, Georg.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hijazist
• • •
p.1 #4 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

Your camera and lenses are more than capable for the gym shots. In fact, if you were asking about what kit to buy from scratch I would have recommended yours. As Ben mentioned the D600 has great ISO performance and 12800 is acceptable so just crank up the shutter speed and use Auto ISO.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

dre1074 wrote:
I need a reason to buy another lens.

This is NAS peeking it's head lol...

really, you have nice equipment, just practice it out

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM
dre1074

p.1 #6 · Advice, action, and low light gym shots

Thanks you all who responded. I think I'm going to work with what I have and give my 70-200 the task. Anymore advice send it my way

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:59 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password