Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

peter_n wrote:
Your 2-series Gitzo has been replaced with a systematic design and I was comparing the design of the leg joint area in your pic to my own systematic and it's very different, the systematic design looks to be more sturdy but who knows? Gitzo claim that their latest update to their systematic designs are stronger still. I'm not suggesting you get another Gitzo but the 2-series has radically changed this year.

I'd also take a look at the TVC-24 now you're considering RRS. The folded length is 18.7" vs the 23.6" folded length of the TVC-23 which has a better max
...Show more

Peter, many thanks for the thoughtful tips. I think if I were to buy another Gitzo, it would be one of the Ocean models, since those don't use any cast metals. I rarely shoot seascapes, but I am in snow and fog a lot, so I suppose it wouldn't be completely ridiculous for me to get the Ocean model...that is, except for the fact that the price tags are eye-watering on those things.

I did look at Feisol, but a pretty bad review on B&H gave me pause. Plus I have been able to find quite a lot of threads on various forums with broken Feisol stories. Such stories are almost non-existent for RRS tripods, but then they have been out on the market for a much shorter period (two years?).

As for the TVC-23 versus 24: the 23 is the same length when folded as my Gitzo 2531, so that's not a problem. I always fly with it in my checked luggage, so the folded length works for me. I'm much more concerned about standing height and weight. I prefer taller, lighter tripods (who doesn't?). I often work on slopes where I need the extra height, and I have a hip and knee that are threatening to go on strike if I pack too much more on my treks. Even the 3-pound Gitzo is pushing it for backpacking. I carry it around in a padded shoulder bag that I sling alongside my backpack. It is slightly awkward, but the tripod is very accessible that way and stays very protected in there. Anyway, the added weight of the RRS, even though it's only 0.2 lbs, is a bit of a drawback.

I have to say that the one other thing that really bugs me about the RRS tripods is the pimped-out pattern of the carbon fiber. They look like toys to me for some reason. Blech!

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

I've had my TVC-23 for over a year and absolutely love it. Sturdy, well build and designed. Could never move to anything else.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

One more question for those in the know: is there any reason why my Markins ball head would not work with RRS legs?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

None whatsoever. I have a Q10 and it will fit on a 2 series and above.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:24 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

My wife and I have had several Gitzos, light weight to heavy duty, and while they're great tripods we like the RRS tripods better.

TVC-34w/Gimbals

TVC-34 w/Ballheads

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:08 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

Nice... I mainly use the panning clamp with the leveling base... lighter to carry then my BH55

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

spdntrxi wrote:
Nice... I mainly use the panning clamp with the leveling base... lighter to carry then my BH55

I tried that with the RRS gear, but it does not aim up or down enough. I either use the panning clamp on the BH-55 or the regular clamp on the BH-55 with the leveling base, but mainly the latter.

EBH

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

sjms wrote:
None whatsoever. I have a Q10 and it will fit on a 2 series and above.

Thanks for the info, sjms. I asked the same question in an email to RRS, but they still haven't replied.

Nice photos, rprouty.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RRS tripods: any problems whatsoever?

they get tons of email and they are a busy little group. call them they have no issues talking about their stuff. 888.777.5557

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:22 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.