Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

jaredcolletti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

So I have a Sigma 500 DG Super that I never use. Do you think I can remove/disable the flash bulb so that I can use it like the Canon ST-E2 to control 420ii and 580ii? Do you think it would retain the E-TTL? I understand my 7D will slave other flashed but it NEEDS to discharge too (right? sounds like poor engineering to me). Thanks guys.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

The flash bulb is what triggers the others, though it only needs the infra-red bit.

The ST-02 is exactly the same, a flash bulb with an infra-red filter on the front.

I guess you could put a dark red filter on the 500dg.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:33 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #3 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

You do know that the Canon flashes, not including the new 600ex, are controlled with light pulses. There is no radio transmitter in any Canon camera or flashes. Except for the 600ex series and it's ST-E3 controller. Removing the flash bulb would make this control impossible. The ST-E2 also uses a small flash bulb. It just has a dark red filer covering the tube to hide most of the light.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:33 PM
jaredcolletti
• •
p.1 #4 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

oh.... So the only way to slave the other flashes is by letting the Sig discharge..what could I use to filter that light so that its not showing up on the exposure? Am I saying that right? I want to make it look as there isn't a flash NEAR the lens?

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:57 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

Usually if you set to to zero power the (control)flash it fires will be almost negligible

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM
jaredcolletti
• •
p.1 #6 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

sweet, Ill try that, thanks guys.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

what camera are you using for this?
your profile shows a 7D which can master anyway.

Nikon make a filter that fits in the hot shoe
SG-3 IR . it should fit on the 7D as well

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

The thing is the wireless pulse preceding the exposure is both the trigger and the E-TTL instructions. I'm pretty sure a low power zap from a non-master flash unit will not work right since it isn't pulsing code. If you want to retain E-TTL control, just you the popup on your 7D as an E-TTL trigger/controller.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:52 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

Gochugogi wrote:
The thing is the wireless pulse preceding the exposure is both the trigger and the E-TTL instructions. I'm pretty sure a low power zap from a non-master flash unit will not work right since it isn't pulsing code. If you want to retain E-TTL control, just you the popup on your 7D as an E-TTL trigger/controller.

the 500DG SUPER can be a master .
I have read that there can be issues when mixing Canon and sigma heads in master/slave configurations , but thats normally the odd missfire rather than complete non function.

also you can set the flash to 'not fire' . this still fires the pre flash pulses but is supposed not to contribute to the expossure . problem is it can still show up. if you set the master to not fire and take a picture faceing a mirror you can see the flash light comming from the master. its just nowhere near as bright as when its set to fire.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

jaredcolletti wrote:
...I understand my 7D will slave other [flashes] but it NEEDS to discharge too (right? sounds like poor engineering to me).

Not poor engineering, but poor understanding on your part of how the system works and what are the full capabilities.

Because the Canon (and other camera company's systems) Master/Slave function is controlled by light pulses (other than the new 600EX-RT, which is radio), the built-in flash or attached Speedlite needs to fire metering and control preflashes.

However, an attached Speedlite or the pop-up can be set not to fire a flash for exposure, and only fire the command-and-control pulses. No need to dial down the power of the exposure flash, because there won't be one when set that way.

As mentioned, if there is a highly reflective surface in the frame, or if the Master flash is very close to the subject, the final "Fire now!" pulse may be visible because it obviously has to fire after the shutter opens in order to sync the Slave flashes. That can be mitigated in two ways: by aiming the Master away from the subject, or by using a visible-light filter that still lets enough of the infrared spectrum through to trigger the Slaves.

I use a four-light setup sometimes, and a three-light setup regularly, and I use the pop-up on my 7D as the Master with excellent results in typical home-sized rooms. (With my 20D I used an Off-camera ETTL cable to let the Speedlite in my soft box act as the Master.)

Using a Speedlite as the Master is an obvious way to aim the flash away from the subject, but here's a way to do it using the pop-up flash that will work in rooms with a light-colored ceiling and walls:

http://www.lightscoop.com/lightscoop_deluxe_info.html

For an IR filter, the Nikon model works on Canons if you don't push it all the way into the shoe (Canons have a pop-up disable switch in the hot shoe), or if you make a cutout in the filter's foot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for.html

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

Addendum: I got so involved in the 7D pop-up aspect that I forgot your original question was about your Sigma speedlight.

You already have everything you need: since the Sigma is bounce/swivel capable, just bounce it off a ceiling or wall, or aim it directly at your Slave flash. The bounced/aimed light will trigger the Slave flashes, and it won't look like "a flash NEAR the lens."

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

Brian:
Have you used the Nikon cutout filter? I've not looked at a Nikon hot shoe but assume they must have some sort of switch as well. Of you look at the base of the Nikon filter you can see one side is wider than the other. Looks like only one side sits in the hot shoe. And the narrow side is on the side that the canon hotshoe micro switch is as well .

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:16 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Have you used the Nikon cutout filter? I've not looked at a Nikon hot shoe but assume they must have some sort of switch as well. Of you look at the base of the Nikon filter you can see one side is wider than the other. Looks like only one side sits in the hot shoe. And the narrow side is on the side that the canon hotshoe micro switch is as well .

Good to know. I haven't had a chance to use the Nikon filter, but have used other hot-shoe devices designed for Nikons that interfered with the switch on the Canon, and was going by that experience as well as Internet discussions.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Can I modify my flash to act as a wireless transmitter?

BrianO wrote:
You already have everything you need: since the Sigma is bounce/swivel capable, just bounce it off a ceiling or wall, or aim it directly at your Slave flash. The bounced/aimed light will trigger the Slave flashes, and it won't look like "a flash NEAR the lens."

My brain isn't fully awake yet.

If you want to try this approach, I suggest using your 580EX II as the Master, and use your Sigma as a Slave. The 580EX II is designed specifically to work with your Canon camera, and on the 7D you can access all the Speedlite's functions -- including Wireless Mode, A:B Ratios, and more -- from the camera's menu, which is more user-friendly than the Speedlite's menu.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password