Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · 5d III portrait focusing question
  
 
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5d III portrait focusing question


One thing I find annoying with the 5d II is that I can only trust the center focusing point. Normally, I raise the camera's center point to the eyes, focus, re-compose - shoot. This method works ok with wide DOF, say F8-11 with a 105mm lens but at F2 on my 85mm lens is less reliable.

I'm assuming with the extra focusing points on the 5d III along with assigning the focusing points selection to the joystick, folks are using the joystick to select a point at the eyes of the subject instead of employing the method I describe above?



Dec 10, 2012 at 06:52 PM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5d III portrait focusing question


Yes and in addition, I set the AF point based on orientation of the camera. If I flip the camera from landscape to a portrait orientation, the default AF point will go automatically to whatever AF point I selected to be more convenient in the portrait orientation.


Dec 10, 2012 at 06:56 PM
dhphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 5d III portrait focusing question


This is the main reason I bought a 5D3.

I work on a tripod for portraits and the 5DII and all the other similar systems are an utter pain, there is never a reliable AF point anywhere near the eyes.

The 5D3 is much much better in this regard, better in fact than my 1Ds3 as I now have more points to select from even than that.

The 5DIII is a significant upgrade from the 5DII in every way, except IQ. It will certainly solve this issue for you.


AGeoJO wrote:
Yes and in addition, I set the AF point based on orientation of the camera. If I flip the camera from landscape to a portrait orientation, the default AF point will go automatically to whatever AF point I selected to be more convenient in the portrait orientation.


Plus, you can register two different AF points depending on which way up the camera is in portrait orientation, shutter button side up or down



Dec 10, 2012 at 06:58 PM
gvg45
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · 5d III portrait focusing question


AGeoJO wrote:
Yes and in addition, I set the AF point based on orientation of the camera. If I flip the camera from landscape to a portrait orientation, the default AF point will go automatically to whatever AF point I selected to be more convenient in the portrait orientation.


Love this feature on the camera!



Dec 10, 2012 at 08:56 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 5d III portrait focusing question


One guy on dpreview said focusing is tenuous on the 5d III with anything other than center point. Anyone have thoughts on that?


Dec 10, 2012 at 09:04 PM
AGeoJO
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 5d III portrait focusing question


jzucker wrote:
One guy on dpreview said focusing is tenuous on the 5d III with anything other than center point. Anyone have thoughts on that?


One guy as in a poster of the dpreview forum? If anything, that what I would describe the AF of the 5D Mark II on AI Servo. All AF points of the 5D Mark III in my opinion and experience are really fast, responsive and accurate. As you can see from numerous posts and reviews here and elsewhere that the accolade of the 5D Mark III has been mostly due to its superb AF system. Well, here is a post to counterbalance that then .



Dec 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 5d III portrait focusing question


AGeoJO wrote:
One guy as in a poster of the dpreview forum? If anything, that what I would describe the AF of the 5D Mark II on AI Servo. All AF points of the 5D Mark III in my opinion and experience are really fast, responsive and accurate. As you can see from numerous posts and reviews here and elsewhere that the accolade of the 5D Mark III has been mostly due to its superb AF system. Well, here is a post to counterbalance that then .


Yes, one poster on dpreview and I asked him to clarify how it was tenuous but he hasn't replied back.



Dec 10, 2012 at 09:27 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



WAYCOOL
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · 5d III portrait focusing question


jzucker wrote:
One guy on dpreview said focusing is tenuous on the 5d III with anything other than center point. Anyone have thoughts on that?


He probably lives in Washington and is taking advantage of the marijuana laws and is to baked to focus on anything.



Dec 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM
John-Tolentino
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · 5d III portrait focusing question


i used every single points in my Mark iii and have not had any issues other than motion blur which is my fault. Sometimes, focus and recomposing is much faster given I have enough DOF, which means I have to shoot around F2.8 or smaller depends on how many people is in the frame.


Dec 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM
timbop
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · 5d III portrait focusing question


jzucker wrote:
One thing I find annoying with the 5d II is that I can only trust the center focusing point. Normally, I raise the camera's center point to the eyes, focus, re-compose - shoot. This method works ok with wide DOF, say F8-11 with a 105mm lens but at F2 on my 85mm lens is less reliable.

I'm assuming with the extra focusing points on the 5d III along with assigning the focusing points selection to the joystick, folks are using the joystick to select a point at the eyes of the subject instead of employing the method I describe above?


yes. I have found all the cross points on my 5d3 to be very reliable; I only enable the cross points on mine.



Dec 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM
boingyman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 5d III portrait focusing question


The main reason why I really want the 5D3 over the 6D is the AF system.


Dec 11, 2012 at 05:39 AM
diverhank
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · 5d III portrait focusing question


I find that the 5D3 focus default works fine for everything except really narrow DOF then I would use the single point select. I absolutely love the 5D3 focus compared to my old 50D...my mouth drops every time I use it. Recently I nailed a sequence where an osprey swooped down and grabbed a fish which was very fast, the whole thing was over in less than 2 seconds...without breaking a sweat - all 8 frames were in perfect focus. In the past with the 50D, I had never been able to do it - a lot of cussing and foot stomping...


Dec 11, 2012 at 06:01 AM
matt4626
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · 5d III portrait focusing question


I upgraded to the 5D3 from the 5D2 for the new focus system.....very happy
Best AF I've ever used.....



Dec 11, 2012 at 08:22 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password