Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

dsr1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

I wonder if in the future there will be room for a Third party Camera & lens parts mfg. company?

Given Canon's and Nikon's policies of not selling parts to third party repair companies and putting older DSLR's and lenses "Out of Service" could this be the future?

Cameras are getting like cars. Everybody has one or two. I know it would be expensive but so is any mfg. facility. Pick the top five or six most replaced parts to start with for Canon and Nikon top selling 1D, 5D and mid- lenel DSLR's and reverse engineer replacement parts for sell to third party repair shops.

There's probably ten different companys that make faucet's for your bathroom and kitchen and how many third party car parts companies do you see? I'm sure they all make money.

Why not Third party camera and lens parts? They'er only warrtanted for a year anyway.
Would the electonics part of these parts prohibbit this?

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:46 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

dsr1 wrote:
Given Canon's and Nikon's policies of not selling parts to third party repair companies and putting older DSLR's and lenses "Out of Service" could this be the future?

Nikon has implemented that policy but not Canon..... at least, not yet, as of right now .

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:52 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

AGeoJO wrote:
Nikon has implemented that policy but not Canon..... at least, not yet, as of right now .

I thought I had read that Canon had followed Nikon with this policy but now that you say it, I can't fnd the thread where I read it. Am I dreaming?

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

I expect we'll see simple things like doors, plates, etc. But the electronics in most new lenses and cameras, when replaced, require the factory software that they don't sell except to Authorized Service Centers, and often not even to them (or price it so as to be unaffordable).

Glass elements, replacement circuit boards, IS systems, motors, probably never.

All that being said there's a growing market in used Nikon parts. Go to eBay and price what "nonworking for parts" Nikon lenses bring. It's an interesting thing -- people are hesitant to buy good, working Nikon equipment used because they're scared of repair costs, so the price on that has dropped. But the demand for parts is so high that 'junker' lenses with good parts bring amazing amounts sometimes.

I know of at least one source that's buying certain Nikon pieces new and disassembling them - the parts are worth more than the new price. You can buy a D800 for $2499, the sensor assembly alone is worth about $1200 (replacement at Nikon is $1800).

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:02 PM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

dsr1 wrote:
I thought I had read that Canon had followed Nikon with this policy but now that you say it, I can't fnd the thread where I read it. Am I dreaming?

I also read about that "new" policy on POTN

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Third party Camera & lens parts MFG. companie?

RCicala wrote:
I know of at least one source that's buying certain Nikon pieces new and disassembling them - the parts are worth more than the new price. You can buy a D800 for $2499, the sensor assembly alone is worth about $1200 (replacement at Nikon is $1800).

That's nuts (but makes perfect sense as well ) . As long as you can generate what the total body costs you as parts then you will do very well from the labour rates.
But alas I see a big problem in the future akin to the auto world . Stealing certain models to oder for breaking . With a genuine new part supply cut off and as a its quite possible to trace a stolen camera thru its SN in posted images on the net , parts cameras could generate lots more income for a thief than selling a stolen body on CL or similar.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password