Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Drop experiments Part III

jscalev

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Drop experiments Part III

Last week I continued my experimentation. The only real change I made to my setup was installing a drain in my light table - which significantly reduced the mess. I also learned a lesson when drilling in acrylic - place two flat sheets of wood on both sides and drill through all of them. Otherwise the shaking from the bit rips the acrylic apart. This is quite simple to understand but unfortunately I had to learn the hard way. It is also a wise idea to drill the hole before installing the sheet on the table, so disassembly is not required in the event something goes wrong.

This time I played a bit with different camera angles and also played with some different base compositions. I spent some time doing simple things such as aligning drops and trying different stages of splashes. I also experimented for the first time with bubbles. The first bubble (below) was an accident. I was trying for something else at the time so I continued with my pursuits but later liked the bubble shot most. I then spent yesterday trying to replicate the bubbles with mixed success. I did replicate them but did not improve on the first shot and I still do not fully understand what causes them. I intend to experiment more with that this week.

I will likely continue experimenting in this manner until the end of the year, when I should have the budget to make some large additions to my setup.

This is my "accidental" bubble.

Magic Lamp by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Another form of accident. I can't remember what I was trying for at the time, but it wasn't this. Still, I thought it was rather cute.

Barista by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Here I was experimenting with latter stages of splashes. In this instance the hole is caused by a drop previously going through it.

A Window Into It by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:19 PM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Drop experiments Part III

these are very good.
what liquids are you experimenting with?

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:24 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Drop experiments Part III

Wonderful stuff - #1 is pretty amazing !
Brian v.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:28 AM
miguellara
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Drop experiments Part III

#2 does it for me... But they are all great.

I should start experimenting with these too :-p .

Tks for sharing

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:11 AM
jscalev

p.1 #5 · Drop experiments Part III

Thanks! I have lately been experimenting with glycerine and rinse aid added to water. I plan to add guar gum in the near future.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arthurman

p.1 #6 · Drop experiments Part III

Your photos are great. What system are you using to control the drop timing.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:48 PM
jscalev

p.1 #7 · Drop experiments Part III

Thanks! I use two Stopshots.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:41 PM
arthurman

p.1 #8 · Drop experiments Part III

Your photos are very impressive. I've been looking at the Stopshot system. It apparently is very accurate in controlling the flow. Might have to pull the trigger.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:46 PM
jscalev

p.1 #9 · Drop experiments Part III

I cannot say more positive things about Stopshot and Cognisys. There are other triggers on the market (I looked strongly into Time Machine) but I found Stopshot to be the best and their customer service is outstanding.

They also have a new high speed shutter that works with it. Once they release their insect system in a few months it will revolutionize insect photography.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:21 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Drop experiments Part III

great set .. #1 for me

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password