Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

rscheffler wrote:
Not sure what user controllable NR options are available on the 6D, but if it's like the 1DX with high, standard, low and off, I found that turing it off still resulted in clean enough files for my taste at ISOs 1600-3200. Even 6400 was decent. Compared to RAW conversions, Canon's in-camera NR-off setting seems to apply some NR, especially for chroma noise.

NR options are the same. I always use the low NR setting where full chroma NR and slight luminance NR are applied. This is of course only for my in-camera viewing pleasure since I shoot RAW.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:58 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Ralph Conway wrote:
To be honest: I enjoy yours, too
OOC jpeg or converted raw?

Ralph

Haha This was OOC jpeg with black and white and some basic curves applied (and a little grain).

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Thank you.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:18 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Ralph-
I can't remember, but you've used 5D and 5DII, right?

This is a much more enjoyable camera IMO than both. The 5D is a classic for a reason, but this makes me forget that it ever existed. I have owned and shot 3 5D's.
The 5DII did not do it for me, I owned one for 3 days. Wasn't improved in the right areas over the original, whereas this certainly is.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ISO1600 wrote:
Ralph-
I can't remember, but you've used 5D and 5DII, right?

This is a much more enjoyable camera IMO than both. The 5D is a classic for a reason, but this makes me forget that it ever existed. I have owned and shot 3 5D's.
The 5DII did not do it for me, I owned one for 3 days. Wasn't improved in the right areas over the original, whereas this certainly is.

No. I stepped up from 50D to 5D II. Never owned a 5D and shot it only twice. I purchased a 5D II instead the 5D because I needed higher resolution (what I am more than happy with now), higher usable ISO (what I still do) and better high ISO jpegs (again I still do but even higher). The 6D offers it. And adds some up to date additional features I could really use: Better AF and reliable center point in out of light situations, top sensor/IQ, silent mode, great(est) high ISO jpegs ooc, great build and much more comfortable feel (in fact never a camera felt so good in my hands - 5D III does not, 1D X does not - no Nikon ever did, nor any offer of other brands. it feels in between 30/40D and 5D II - but more personal, more natural, more, more ... like more). It felt like constructed for my hands. I do not like MA anyway. Imo A lense should fit to a body and work great. But if necessary, different MA on both ends of a zoom lense is the only working (in hope) solution. At least: wifi was not expected. But I am pretty sure it will help me with some special efforts of some of my customers.

Ralph

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I've been playing with my new 6D for about an hour now. So many new features, gizmos and doodads to fool around with.

I sold my well-used 5D2 six months back and filled the void with 1Ds2 and 1D3/1D2 cameras in the meantime.

I'm pleased with the size and weight, the viewfinder. I remember a couple of times someone had knocked the Mode Dial button on the 5D2, so I guess it's alright to have a locking knob to prevent that from happening. I can see I will always have nose smudges on the LCD .. oh well. As long as my nose doesn't scratch the plastic LCD cover

I like that I can review my shot and see the RGB channels and a histogram. It seems like the red channel runs a little hot compared to my 1Ds2, but I need to take some more shots and compare more.

Low light AF is awesome. I've been busy making some canvas prints so I've only taken about 30 test shots so far. The camera doesn't have a cheap feel to it, it reminds me of a 5D2 except for the new button layout. It seems the 70-200 lens feels more snug on the 6D than it was on the 5D2.

The only thing I'm worried about is using the camera in inclement weather. It's cold out now, with a little mist moisture in the air. I've never had any problems with my 1D series bodies, but I killed my 5D2 after taking it out in very light rain.

I'll post back when I've spent some more time with the cam.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:27 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

http://www.michaelgrados.com/img/s4/v67/p1336202410-5.jpg

Guess what camera, and via which method I took this photo... If I remember right, this was around 4000ISO.

I really can't add anything that hasn't been posted before. I am very happy with the 6D, and can't wait to throw my triggers on and pop some lights with it.

I can confirm that my top AF point does have a red light "bleed" or "bloom" but from what I've been able to read, it appears in other bodies as well.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:38 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I'm still more than happy with mine

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:44 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Second battery (OEM), generic QR plate, and generic remote release all on their way from Amazon.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:17 AM
mgkaplan
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I picked up my 6D from Canoga Camera two weeks ago.

Since I have had a demanding business travel calendar, I did not have a chance to even unpack it from the box before this week.

Yesterday I took a few shots indoors with low light and high ISO. Today I took it with me on my Sunday morning outing with my son.

Here are my initial observations:

- The camera was clearly more responsive than my 5Dii.

- Autofocus (with center point) was quick and right on. Even in low light conditions, the center point found its spot quickly and locked right on.

- Image quality was excellent.

- Video quality was also excellent. (Yes, I observed the moire described in the reviews, but it was no more visible than it was on the 5Dii. Hopefully, a firmware fix down the road may be in order.)

- Equally important was the "friendliness" of the camera body. This thing is small, light and comfortable to hold - much more so than any other camera body that I have had. The form factor was more like the 60D than like the 5 or 7.)

- Candidly, I think that I will have the same experience with the 6D as I did with the 70-300L. - Underwhelming specs on paper - but an outstanding performer.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:58 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

mgkaplan,
do you still have the 70-300L? I bet it will be fantastic on the 6D. I just ordered a beater 75-300 USM III from KEH for $90 haha, should be fun!

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:08 AM
mgkaplan
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Yes I do. The performance of that lens is outstanding.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

mikegrados wrote:

http://www.michaelgrados.com/img/s4/v67/p1336202410-5.jpg

Guess what camera, and via which method I took this photo... If I remember right, this was around 4000ISO.

I really can't add anything that hasn't been posted before. I am very happy with the 6D, and can't wait to throw my triggers on and pop some lights with it.

I can confirm that my top AF point does have a red light "bleed" or "bloom" but from what I've been able to read, it appears in other bodies as well.

Mike -- This is really an awesome, fun photo! Pretty well says it all -- should be an ad for the camera.

I hope you'll post more images and keep us updated as you get familiar (and afterward).

By "bloom" is this something that affects the recorded image, of just in the viewfinder?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM
mikegrados
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Gunzorro wrote:
Mike -- This is really an awesome, fun photo! Pretty well says it all -- should be an ad for the camera.

I hope you'll post more images and keep us updated as you get familiar (and afterward).

By "bloom" is this something that affects the recorded image, of just in the viewfinder?

Thanks!

By "bloom" I mean a glare from the red light of the AF point within the confines of the viewfinder. Imagine a small light reflecting off of a reflective matte surface. I've heard owners of the 60D have seen this as well. It is only seen in the viewfinder and does not affect the image or metering whatsoever. It is just a visual oddity since all other points are 'clean.' I'm not even sure you'd notice it in a well lit scene - I was, of course, doing a layman's test of the low light focusing ability with a nifty-fifty.

One other thing of note here was that I didn't even bother adjusting the WB before taking the shot, it was in AUTO and I'm really impressed with the skin tones in the mixed light.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else is the speed of transfer from the camera to the computer via USB. I usually use a card reader, but the one I have couldn't read the UHS-I card I was using. Again, I'm coming from a 5D which I think is USB1.0 (or at least it feels like it). So, in a pinch, without a card reader, transfer rates are very quick from the body.

For now, she's back in the box, packed up and ready to return once I get my B&H copy. I'm just paranoid that I'm going to break, scratch, or in someway void the return-ability of the first one.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

mikegrados wrote:

I guess it is the same what the top AF point (only) in my 5D II does. If it is choosen and confirms focus, the other points show a little "gloom", too. so more so nearer they are located. The more the AF point position wents down, so more it disapears. I guess it has to do with the position of the red led to highlight the confirmation. I would not worry about this.

Ralph

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:33 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Ralph Conway wrote:
I guess it is the same what the top AF point (only) in my 5D II does. If it is choosen and confirms focus, the other points show a little "gloom", too. so more so nearer they are located. The more the AF point position wents down, so more it disapears. I guess it has to do with the position of the red led to highlight the confirmation. I would not worry about this.

Ralph

Completely concur. I just did a quick search, and I've even seen 5DIII owners saying the same thing. I need to get into the manual and see if there's a dimming option. Then again, most of my work, I'm shooting against the sun - now that's some glare!

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Thanks for the info. No problem for me -- I have the 60D and don't notice any distraction.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I think mine might have a tiny bit of bloom, but i almost never use the topmost point, so it doesn't bother me.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Should have a 6d/24-105 kit for a month testing today.

Dec 17, 2012 at 02:57 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.