Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Not sure how many of us have them yet, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of reviews out there online right now.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with this camera that brought me back to Canon. The build on it feels great. Finder is big and clear. AF, in my use, does the trick. I am fine with 11 AF Points, but would like to maybe have a wider spread. In my JPG shooting, the noise control is outstanding.

WiFi is fun to mess with. I haven't done full setup of it yet, so I'm only using the EOS Remote app.
Shuffling between multiple devices (Galaxy Nexus phone, Nexus 7 tablet) is kinda annoying, as you can't just pair them up instantly. The connection doesn't seem to have the best range either. Last night I was attempting to do some astrophotography from the comfort of my livingroom, and the connection dropped.

Thoughts?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
danb121
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I've read a few comments about the clustered style of the AF points... are the points in a similar position as they are on a ***D?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
sdeutscher
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

You don't find that much about the 6D online yet....so I'm sure new reports are very welcome
The 11 points crowded near the center makes them almost useless.....at least for me. I'm not talking about the 6D....which I don't have yet....but Canon has many bodies like that

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

They are in same position as 5D II offered them (as far I remember). But even if the outer points seem to work great this time, it does not really matter where they are (imo). With this camera one would use center AF and recompose if you do not shoot from tripod, I guess.

Thank you for this new thread. I hope many will post comments.

Ralph

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

The 9 point AF that is used on the Rebel/XXXD series actually has 4 very well placed points for composing to the rule of thirds... for focus I use the centre AF point but I also use those 4 outer points to to aid composition.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

The past few days I've had it, I've mostly been shooting around the house- 8 month old son and stuff. The outer points seem to work very well when I'm up close and trying to focus on an eye.
The center point is VERY good in near complete Danes with a fast lens (35L).
Battery life has been wonderful, coming from an Olympus om-d.
I really like the quick control screen! I keep looking for a WB button, then remember I have to go into a menu.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I will be getting a 6D early next year, I'm waiting for reviews and insights from users; like in this topic. Today I found this full review of the 6D at TechCrunch, perhaps you that have; are using the 6D can take a look at this review and compare/comment on your findings/experiences...
Thanks, Jerry

The Canon 6D: A Solid Beginner Full-Frame, With A Few Caveats For Buyers With Pro Demands.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/10/canon-6d-review/

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:21 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

AF points on 1.6x <> AF points on FF.

FF Sensor is much larger. AF clusters are sure to look center oriented. Just look at the D7000 derived AF point location on the D600. It is cluster-fcuk in the center. Ugh.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:37 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

One thing I forgot, that is bothering me, is video format/compatibility issues that I'm having with Youtube and Google Plus/Picasa.

I am a complete noob to video editing/processing, and have attempted to sync a few videos straight out of camera to picasa for backup, along with uploading one to youtube.
Both presented me with format/compatibility problems, and a big "X".
I'm currently recording 1080/24P in the IPB compression setting. I'll try All-I and see if that helps.
My current desktop is GROSSLY underpowered to deal with these video files.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:02 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I'm really liking the 6D -- the small size & weight make a big difference to me and for the first time I feel like a FF DSLR is approaching the hand feel and usability of of film SLRs.

A lot of people on this thread are worried about the spacing of the AF points. I know this can be an issue and it was one of the deal breakers on the Sony A99 that led me to return that camera. In my opinion, the 6D AF points are spaced far enough out into the frame to make them useful with very minimal recomposing. I don't like to focus-and-recompose with fast lenses (35L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, etc) because it leads to focusing errors. I find the outer focus points on this camera very fast & accurate, and the tiny recompose movement sometimes needed for subjects near the edge of the frame does not introduce focusing errors.

Some of things I really like about this camera --

a) Single-function buttons

b) Very logical and useful button layout -- can do almost anything with my eye up to the viewfinder. Can shoot for hours without having to go into the menus.

c) No buttons on left of screen, can work everything with my right hand.

d) AF microadjust easy and works well. Includes separate adjustments for both ends of zoom lens.

e) Live view works well with choice of contrast or phase detect AF which both work well in the respective situations that call for them.

f) Nice shutter button and shutter sound, and camera doesn't feel like it's being shaken by mirror.

g) No mirror clearance issues with any of my alt lenses yet.

So far my only two slight negative with this camera:

1) The jpgs are not quite to my taste, with a NR algorithm I don't like. But what I've been able to glean about what the RAWs from converting them to TIFFs in DPP and then working on the TIFFs in LR convinces me that once we have a good raw workflow with this camera, the image quality will be stellar.

2) Only about 50% successful with tracking AF (AF-S) experiments. But, honestly, I've never had that much luck with tracking AF with any camera. It might be me.

Edited on Dec 10, 2012 at 03:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ISO1600 wrote:
One thing I forgot, that is bothering me, is video format/compatibility issues that I'm having with Youtube and Google Plus/Picasa.

I am a complete noob to video editing/processing, and have attempted to sync a few videos straight out of camera to picasa for backup, along with uploading one to youtube.
Both presented me with format/compatibility problems, and a big "X".
I'm currently recording 1080/24P in the IPB compression setting. I'll try All-I and see if that helps.
My current desktop is GROSSLY underpowered to deal with these video files.

Canon is aware of the video upload issue, have announced a workaround via a service announcement, I'm guessing they are working on a firmware update...here's an article and the SA...hope it helps! Jerry

http://thenewcamera.com/canon-eos-6d-youtube-problem-and-solution/

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:40 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

also here:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/12/06/movie-files-from-the-canon-6d-need-to-go-through-an-editor-or-imagebrowser-ex-or-else-they-wont-work-on-youtube/

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Not reviews but user thoughts and images here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1252637

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:19 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ebrandon wrote:
g) No mirror clearance issues with any of my alt lenses yet.

Do you have any alt. lenses with mirror clearance issues on 5D MkII that clears the mirror of the 6D?

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:23 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

twoeye wrote:
Do you have any alt. lenses with mirror clearance issues on 5D MkII that clears the mirror of the 6D?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe my 60mm f2.8 macro wouldn't clear the mirror on 5DII, and it does on the 6D.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

I'm enjoying mine

In all seriousness, I'm really liking it. Coming from a 5Dc the noise handling is unbelievable, the smaller size and weight is great and the silent shutter is fantastic.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ebrandon wrote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe my 60mm f2.8 macro wouldn't clear the mirror on 5DII, and it does on the 6D.

I'm actually interested in this, too. I met a videographer at a friend's recent wedding using FD lenses for some shots. It got me thinking about being able to break mine back out on the 6D for video...gotta love that heavy focus ring!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

Looks like the 6D is going to be a hit!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

weezintrumpete wrote:
I'm enjoying mine

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7030288/Linked/Photos/IMG_4420.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm really liking it. Coming from a 5Dc the noise handling is unbelievable, the smaller size and weight is great and the silent shutter is fantastic.

To be honest: I enjoy yours, too
OOC jpeg or converted raw?

Ralph

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)

ebrandon wrote:
So far my only two slight negative with this camera:

1) The jpgs are not quite to my taste, with a NR algorithm I don't like. But what I've been able to glean about what the RAWs from converting them to TIFFs in DPP and then working on the TIFFs in LR convinces me that once we have a good raw workflow with this camera, the image quality will be stellar.

I'm also curious about this camera and would probably get it instead of a 5DIII to complement the 1DX... I"m looking for something a lot smaller and much quieter.

Regarding the Jpegs: something I noticed with the 1DX is that high ISO NR can be quite aggressive, even on the standard setting. Not sure what user controllable NR options are available on the 6D, but if it's like the 1DX with high, standard, low and off, I found that turing it off still resulted in clean enough files for my taste at ISOs 1600-3200. Even 6400 was decent. Compared to RAW conversions, Canon's in-camera NR-off setting seems to apply some NR, especially for chroma noise.

1DX RAW files converted in LR are still sharper at the pixel level than what I can get from Jpegs out of the camera... I suspect it will be similar with the 6D...

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.