Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions an...

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

I recently sold my good old work-horse lens, the 35L, and jumped on the new 35mm f2 IS as soon as I saw it in stock here in Norway. I found myself shooting mostly between f2 and f2.8 most of the time, anyway, to get a practical/useful DOF for people shooting (my kids), and the new lens offers a much more useful feature: 4 stops of IS, over the old L-version. Besides, it has a much better MFD, and the weight is about half of the weight of the L (and new Sigma f1.4!).

I've only owned the 35mm f2 IS for 3 days, so I do not have extensive experience with it, yet. Anyways,here are a collection of snap shots from the recent days:

http://eyvindness.zenfolio.com/35mmf2isusm

I've included some comparison shots with the new 24-70 f2.8 mk2 as well, to illustrate any differences at f2.8. I found very few: The 35mm f2 IS is better for MFD, has less distortion, and less vignetting. Sharpness is about the same, as far as I can tell by eyeballing it on my screen at 100%. Bokeh looks OK to me, too :-)

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Great images Eyvind; thanks for posting!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

The out of focus areas in some of those shots look smudged or something.

Were you shooting with IS and low shutter speeds? Maybe camera movement?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #4 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Yes, IS engaged, and I dragged the shutter on many of them.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Great to hear, wonder when it will hit the US martket?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM
twoeye
• •
p.1 #6 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

I have the lens on order, seeing it as a potential workhorse replacing my 35L which I have been using mostly closed down a bit just like you.

Sharpness, colour and contrast looks great.

Bokeh not bad, but it seems it shares the 35L´s slightly busy bokeh towards the corners, visible in right top and bottom of your first shot.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #7 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Thks for the post-looks very promising!
Leon

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

I think that the IQ of 35L 1.4 is way better than the IQ from this new lens. Not sure you did a good deal.

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #9 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

gabimaster wrote:
I think that the IQ of 35L 1.4 is way better than the IQ from this new lens. Not sure you did a good deal.

That's interesting. What aspect of IQ is it that you find "way better" with the 35L? Have you also owned both lenses?

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Pixel1970
• • •
p.1 #10 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

gabimaster wrote:

I would tend to agree. Unless it's a version II, good luck prying the 35L out of my fingers, because it's not happening.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Eyevind, thanks for posting those images taken with the new 35mm IS.

It is too early to say one way or the other at this point. That new IS lens is not readily available in the USA yet. Frankly, when I had and used my 35mmL, I tend to stop down a bit, too. Either the new Canon lens with its IS or the new Sigma f/1.4 is the question. I will not jump on one or the other soon and will wait until things have become clearer to make a call.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:21 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Eyevind, thanks looked at your sample images from the link you provided. The evening shots taking advantage of the IS look really good. Assume all these were hand held with the 1D IV?

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #13 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Yes, all images hand-held, but I used the 5Dmk3 for most of the shots. I think only two of the kitchen tile shots was with the 1Dmk4. Exif is intact, and the actual camera used can be seen from the image names, too

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:48 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

EOSfun near Skoyen station? Anyway, thanks for sharing. The shot from Karenslystallé shows the long exposure by moving people and the light trail from the driving car and since you said you didn't use a tripod, it makes it clear what the use of IS is. I am not sure if I agree with Gabimaster, our daciadriver , I can't really see a great difference in image quality with the 35L here. I find the character more similar to the 24-70L zoom though, especially colour and bokeh rendition. But that says more about the 35L which is a very characteristic lens within the Canon EF lens line up and a bit different in contrast and bokeh rendering than most other Canon lenses. As much as I like what we see here, Canon's marketing with all these non L IS primes lately is beyond me. I had some other lenses in mind for an update. But following Canon's latest philosophy I guess the next thing we are going to see must be a 50 IS and maybe an 85 IS

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

eosfun wrote:
EOSfun near Skoyen station? Anyway, thanks for sharing. The shot from Karenslystallé shows the long exposure by moving people and the light trail from the driving car and since you said you didn't use a tripod, it makes it clear what the use of IS is. I am not sure if I agree with Gabimaster, our daciadriver , I can't really see a great difference in image quality with the 35L here. I find the character more similar to the 24-70L zoom though, especially colour and bokeh rendition. But that says more about the 35L which is a
...Show more
Thanks Eyvind.
EOSfun, I'm more than ready for 50, 85, and 135 IS lenses, but I'd like them to be f/1.2 and f/2 like the current L versions. A 50/1.4 L IS could also be very attractive. This 35/2 IS is intriguing.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:26 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Pixel1970 wrote:
I would tend to agree. Unless it's a version II, good luck prying the 35L out of my fingers, because it's not happening.

I'm kinda here too. And I agree with the looks like 24-70 sentiment... images from which don't really thrill me (though it's a hell of a workhorse lens).

We'll need more samples, particularly at non IS shutter speeds.

Looks strong, but perhaps not enough to remove the 35L from my camera, sadly.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

I enjoy the 35/50 focal lengths so much, and have been waiting for a long time for Canon to update they're non-L offerings.
This 35 has me very excited, but the thought of a nice new 50 is.... hmmm... very exciting indeed

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:37 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #18 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Ahhhh, the last photo, a Viking! my favorite!

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

Eyvind -- Thanks for posting, and I hope you'll do more -- some outdoor "daylight" (I know for you it's a lot of dusk this time of year!), and more of these evening types. Oh, yes, a few more shots at MFD, please! Thanks for the link.

Like ISO1600, I'm also very interested in this lens as a possible replacement for my humble 35/2, which I like a lot. This may bea prime I'll get with it's good IQ and MFD. If this is sharper and improved IQ, along with the IS, it's a winner for me.

I also have the Samyang 35/1.4, so I'm covered for a fast, sharp 35, and never had need or desire for the 35L (despite it's high acclaim from owners).

I understand what eosfun is saying with the two other new primes. It's a bit odd, but there is some sense. Personally, if I were the designer, instead of the two wide angle 24 & 28, I would have split the difference, and gone for faster aperture = 26mm f/2.0 IS. Then the sequence would be this 35/2 IS, followed by the 50/1.4 IS and 85/2 IS. (I'd really like a 50/2 Compact Macro IS, but I'm sure I'm in a minority.)

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #20 · Sold the 35L for the new 35mm f2 IS: First impressions and a couple of snapshots

eosfun wrote:
EOSfun near Skoyen station? Anyway, thanks for sharing. The shot from Karenslystallé shows the long exposure by moving people and the light trail from the driving car and since you said you didn't use a tripod, it makes it clear what the use of IS is.

That's right, EOSfun! It's just a couple of snaps around Skřyen, absolutely nothing award-winning at all I was just trying to show what the lens can help me do, in this sort of low-light environment, with no tripod.

Anyways, are you familiar with the place - your profile indicates Holland, relatively far from here

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password