Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DM4 shutter question

ssc45
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DM4 shutter question

I hope I explain myself correctly. I have beeen a competitive shooter for many years. My trigger finger is very sensitive. When I have a trigger job done, the trigger pull weight is reduced, creep is removed and it is very crisp etc. On my 1DM3, the shutter button was very light and responsive. I could roll on the shutter with minimal pressure and it would sound like a machine gun. (Alservo/H)

On my 1DM4, the shutter seems very heavy. I have to press it with alot more pressure for it to respond like a machine gun. Seems like I don't always use enough pressure as many times it will go slow and I have to really press for it to rip. Many times it will seem sluggish, slow or only take a few pics. I am shooting in Jpeg, with NR set to auto/standard.

So, my question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there something I am missing? The camera works fine otherwise. Is there such a thing as a trigger/shutter job to lighten the shutter button? Is it worth taking it to Canon to check out, or is this how the shutter is supposed to work and I got lucky with the 1D3? Maybe I should try back button focusing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Steve

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:50 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 1DM4 shutter question

Depending on what you are shooting and the conditions you are shooting in, this could be related to AF. There is a CF setting that affects the speed with which the first and subsequent shots in a burst will fire. You can set either of these (first shot, later shots) to focus-priority or release-priority. When set to release-priority, the shutter will fire whether or not focus has been achieved. With the other setting, focus must be acquired before the shutter will release. In settings where focus might be more difficult to achieve, if you have first and later set to focus-priority, this could slow down the frame rate. Of course, you may already know all of this, but you didn't mention it, so I figured I would.

A second possibility is that the card you are writing to in the camera isn't fast enough to keep up with your shooting. If you're shooting jpg, this doesn't seem likely, but a slow card definitely could hang you up.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:45 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DM4 shutter question

I have heard that Canon can tune the feel of the shutter release button, so might be worth calling them about this.

In addition to Russ's comments, the in-camera high-ISO NR setting can have an influence on the frame rate. I experienced this once when shooting Jpegs and set to the higher NR setting, IIRC. The camera's buffer dropped down to something like 7 frames and after burning through those initial frames at 10fps, it dropped considerably lower. I don't recall whether or not the standard NR setting had a similar influence. But the initial response was never hindered. If this is the case, then as Russ suggested, it could be dependent on whether you have the camera set to AF or release priority.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:28 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #4 · 1DM4 shutter question

Thanks Russ and RS. I am aware that NR settings and or a slow card can slow down the camera. Neither is a problem with my set up. I did review all my settings and cheat sheets last night to make sure I had not accidently changed any settings.I am set for AF, not release priority. This has not been a problem with speed for any of my other bodies, nor friends with 1DM4. Hence, the camera seems to be fine, as long as I apply enough pressure to the shutter button. Therefore, I will conclude that it is operator error. I will call canon to see if they can "lighten/tune" the shutter button.

Thanks, Steve

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:40 PM
ins1355

p.1 #5 · 1DM4 shutter question

Please let us know what Canon has to say. I also think my release is "heavy".

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:13 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #6 · 1DM4 shutter question

I called Canon Irvine and spoke with a tech. He said it is possible that dirt may affect the sensitivity of the shutter button/release. As soon as I return from vacation, I will take the camera to Canon Irvine to be checked out. I will then post the results.

Cheers, Steve

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:25 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #7 · 1DM4 shutter question

I took my camera to Canon Irvine. Their online repair status info is down, so I called their call center. The camera is ready for pick up. As soon as I get back in town I will get it. The Girl at the call center said there was a problem with the shutter and it had been repaired. As soon as I have the camera and work order in hand, I will update.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday,

Cheers, Steve

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #8 · 1DM4 shutter question

I had an issue with my 40D where the contacts in the shutter button had gotten a bit of corrosion on them causing intermittent problems. Perhaps that was the problem you had.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DM4 shutter question

Hi Steve,

Your comment "I am set for AF, not release priority." is worth further consideration. The shutter will fire immediately if it's set to "release priority", but not until 'correct' focus is achieved when set to "AF priority". If this is the case, then the time to shutter release will be affected by the lens AF performance, as well as by the camera and the nature of the subject.

Jim

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #10 · 1DM4 shutter question

As soon as I get the camera and work order, I will set forth what canon has to say. However, they verified that there was a problem.

Jim, thanks for your thoughts. Before taking the camera to canon, I did take the CF setting into consideration. I changed the CF setting to release priority and it made no difference, nor did back button focus, nor did turning off the AF on the lens. I tried it with three different lens. Lastly, I got together with a friend and fellow competitive shooter, who also shoots a 1dm4. We compared setting and set up our cameras in an identical fashion. We used the same lens and card. His shot like my 1dm3 did--light and responsive and fast. Mine shot as set forth above. We both took turns with both camera's and same results.

Hence, I tried to take into account any and all issues and test for them. I hope after the camera comes back from "reform school" that it is good to go.

Cheers, Steve

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DM4 shutter question

ssc45 wrote:
Hence, I tried to take into account any and all issues and test for them. I hope after the camera comes back from "reform school" that it is good to go.

Cheers, Steve

Well there you go. Good testing!

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · 1DM4 shutter question

Hi Steve -- I'm also a competitive pistol/rifle shooter (Metallic Silhouette), so I know exactly what you mean. I had a problem with the "trigger break" on my original 5D -- seemed to be impossible to break cleanly on important handheld shots when I was concentrating on stillness at slow shutter speeds. I sent to Canon and they improved/replaced it. It was never as nice as a 1D series body, but much better. 1D series is my favorite shutter release.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised when you get your camera back. As I recall, the 1D series is adjustable, and will probably be fine when it comes home.

I have had a number of Canon DSLRs and the shutter button feels different in the different series. The 1D series is best, and surprisingly, I like the 60D shutter release and its low vibration very much. 5D and 5D2 are pretty awful from a finesse standpoint.

For the record, the lightest and "scary smooth" shutter release I've encountered was the Nikon D7000 -- pretty amazing, and took some getting used to, but very good and consistent. But it was hard to get a half-press without going off unwanted.

Good luck, and looking forward to your report!

Dec 29, 2012 at 04:44 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #13 · 1DM4 shutter question

GZ, thanks for the heads up. I will have the camera on Monday and then update. As an aside, considering where you are from, I would guess you spend time at SWPL/ Piru? I have done a bit of shooting out there.

Cheers, Steve

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:51 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #14 · 1DM4 shutter question

Got the camera back and it is night and day different. Went from a heavy, gritty, creepy trigger/shutter to a light, responsive, sensitive shutter. In ALservo-H it rips like it is supposed too. Feels better than my 1dm3. The service detail says, " ...the release button assembly had deteriorated -the shutter button could not operate properly... The release button assembly was replaced...."

I am a happy camper,

Cheers, Steve

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DM4 shutter question

Yay! I'm glad it all worked out!

PS -- I usually shoot mainly at Angeles Ranges in San Fernando, Ojai, Fresno, and occasionally at West End Gun Club out in your neck of the woods, at Lytle Creek. I pretty sure there's no long range Metallic Silhouette shooting at Piru.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password