Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Advice please:

Tomorrow evening we embark on a major trip to see family, to get married in my birthplace at which my parents can be present, as opposed to here in Australia.

I am packing:

1. Canon 5D Mk III and Contax N 24-85, C/Y T* 50/1.4, C/Y 135/2.8, FD TS 35/2.8
  2. My new 2nd hand Leica M8 and equally new VL 35/1.4
  3. Big Stopper and two grads, 580EX II flash, chargers for both cams, rocket blower brush and lens fluid/tissues.

The main decision was whether or not to pack the FD TS35/2.8 and 135/2.8 in place of my original choice, a Contax N 75-300. I am a predominantly landscape shooter, but the weather in N Europe in winter may be predictably unsuitable for using a relatively slow med-long telephoto, whereas there will be buildings for which the tilt-shift is useful. I also want to show that lens to my brother (he's a Nikon shooter...). The 50/1.4 is being packed for its low light capabilities as well as its inherent character. I'm also hoping to take delivery of a Jupiter-8 (50/2) and adapter for the M8, as well as a C/Y to M adapter for the 50/1.4.

So, I am open to suggestions, although my photo backpack is absolutely crammed full.
Do FMers think I am going to miss the longer telephoto for landscapes? . It's a big heavy lens and I can't carry the TS 35 and 135 if I carry the Contax.
We are honeymooning in Iceland for a week.

TIA

David

The M8 is wrapped inside this yellow sleeve.

Edited on Dec 10, 2012 at 06:15 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:38 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

tripod?

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:53 AM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

seems kind of heavy no? wont the spouse be angry you're taking photos instead of spending quality time with her?

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:57 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Yes, good question!. I was intending to take a relatively light tripod, one I bought recently, a Dolica Proline folding model.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:09 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

crazeazn wrote:
seems kind of heavy no? wont the spouse be angry you're taking photos instead of spending quality time with her?

ahem...My fiancée is a diamond and quite used to my photographic time-consuming exploits on holidays - how else does one end up with photobooks?

as for heavy, I am used to that. I once carried a Manfrotto tripod on a 20 mile hike in Denali Nat Park. This time though I'm not packing that - there is a limit.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:13 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Heavy also seems to be an issue for many non-US airlines, which seem to be more or less on the stingy side for carry-ons.... Definitely a good idea to know what your carrier's limit is and try to stay close to it, and have alternate plans to get your gear on the plane.

Also, don't most people visit Iceland in the summer? Depending on the kinds of landscape you like to do, and if the weather is cooperative, at least I would feel somewhat restricted by the 135mm upper limit for isolating interesting features... That said, I also seem to get by with my M system and 90mm at the longest...

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:34 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Looks good to me, don't forget the flash cards, and cable release?
Have fun!

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:37 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

rscheffler (Rick?) - Yes of course, you are correct re some of the airlines. I will carry an extra single shoulder zoom-case that will take the 5D and 24-85 if weight becomes an issue, and similarly the M8 will get farmed out to my fiancée or another family member, depending on what stage in the itinerary.

As for Iceland in winter - it's simply a matter of expediency. We were due to visit my parents over Christmas anyway due to Aus school summer holidays coinciding. Undoubtedly the weather will be a challenge, but one we're up to! I also wonder about the 135mm upper limit for landscapes, but the TS 35 was also something I dwelt on and it seems to have won over! It's unfortunate that the Contax N zooms I have are incompatible with the 1.4 Canon multiplier and the Zeiss 135 also.

LightShow - thanks man. I have about 50+ GB being carried and an iPad will be used to augment storage of some of the RAW files along the way. I shoot only RAW as a rule so there is always a large investment in time later. Cable - release...have just found one I've owned for > 30 years, although it is only good for the M8!

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:16 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Congratulations, by the way!

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:46 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

honeymoon? just take the leica.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Looks like too much to me. Why not leave the Leica and the two 35s?

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:07 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

For Iceland I would take the telezoom, although the TS 35/2.8 could come in useful for landscapes where you want to have interesting subjects (some of those blue ice chunks for instance) in the foreground and still get DOF to infinity by using tilt.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

That gives me a challenge, then because if I take the telezoom, I am into overspill territory re the bag!
The Leica M8 is my new toy, so it is definitely in! Maybe I'll leave out the 50/1.4 and see what's possible.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

If you take the telezoom maybe you could leave out the C/Y 135/2.8? I'd personally use the 50/1.4 more than the 135/2.8.

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

I'm with Ken. I'd take just the M8 and the 35/1.4, but that's me. Bride and family first.

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:57 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

I'd take just the Leica.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:54 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
honeymoon? just take the leica.

But the M8 doesn't have a movie mode...

I would weigh the telezoom against how many shots you will use it for, same goes for the rest of the kit,
if you honestly don't see yourself using it for more than 5% of your shots, leave it at home.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

I've now been to Iceland several times. All I needed was Nikon D5100 (and D300 for backup,) Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, Nikon 80-400mm VR, SB-900 flash, polarizer, Gitzo 1325 tripod. The two most important things were the solid tripod (it's windy) and the polarizer. I think I could do fine there with just my 4x5 and two lenses, plus polarizer & tripod of course. BTW, Iceland is pretty warm in winter. At least, compared to the Dakotas.

One thing I'll add is that we often see "what to take" threads here. I travel a fair amount and have obviously been into photography for quite awhile now, shooting several different formats. What I've come to think is you will use the same gear in the same way on a trip that you do at home. Lighter is almost always better. The fewer pieces, the better. Simplify.

Kent in SD

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

lenticular11 wrote:
Advice please:

Tomorrow evening we embark on a major trip to see family, to get married in my birthplace at which my parents can be present, as opposed to here in Australia.

I am packing:

1. Canon 5D Mk III and Contax N 24-85, C/Y T* 50/1.4, C/Y 135/2.8, FD TS 35/2.8
  2. My new 2nd hand Leica M8 and equally new VL 35/1.4
  3. Big Stopper and two grads, 580EX II flash, chargers for both cams, rocket blower brush and lens fluid/tissues.

The main decision was whether or not to pack the FD TS35/2.8 and 135/2.8 in place of my original choice, a Contax N
...Show more

I dunno bout others but a trip like that; I wouldn't even bring a good camera. Maybe something like a GX1 with the flat power-zoom 14-45 or the pancake 20. (such as your Leica...)

That kind of event, I would be sucking up all the experiences and not fiddling with cameras much. That's YOUR wedding bro!

Edited on Dec 10, 2012 at 06:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:52 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Am I 'tooled up' enough?

Thanks all for your good input.

Having those inputs, makes me orientate to choosing the tele-zoom again and leaving the 135 (it was only a small sub for the 70-300 anyway) and the tilt-shift 35 behind.

The Big Stopper and grads will probably only get used in Ireland (if at all). The Leica is a late sub for my Sony 5N, but I do want to try the Leica for all the usual reasons - again it may only be used outside of Iceland. Kent, thanks for the advice re a polariser.

As I only have one lens for the Leica and another indeterminate build quality lens (Jupiter-8) on the way, I would not limit myself simply to that.

Last year I was carrying a 1D Mk III, 135/2, 1.4x, EF50/1.4 and 17-40; you can see I don't travel light!

Wedding and honeymoon - only 7 days in a 6 week trip, so there are plenty of other opportunities for photography!

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password