New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Drobo 5D random reboot

ssnap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drobo 5D random reboot

Today while taking an online exam I noticed that my Drobo 5D lights went off and the system booted back up. Once the lights came back on my data was accessible but this has me very nervous. I've already filed a support case with Drobo but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with the 5D or other Drobos.
I'm not looking to bash Drobo, just a little nervous since this is my first time using their product and I have 5.47TB of available storage. I currently have my data backed up elsewhere but still it makes me nervous.

I'm thinking that this is a disturbing sign of things to come and that's why I filed a support case immediately. I currently have a PC loaded with storage but was considering a synology diskstation to act as massive network storage. I am just hoping that my Drobo is alright :-(

Other than this I love the Drobo 5d. I have it configured with an msata SSD and it's super fast. That 10Gbps pipe over the Thunderbolt connection is amazing and I'm really glad to finally be using it. My configuration: 5x 1.5TB seagate HDD's with the Crucial M4 128GB msata SSD.

Thanks to anyone who can offer insight or support.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drobo 5D random reboot

I had this happen to me with my Drobo S back in April. It turned out to be a faulty power supply. I'd suggest you run the diagnostic report generator (Under the Help and Support menu of the Drobo Dashboard -- 'Get Diagnostics') and send that in with your support case. I worked over the phone with technical support off and on for a three week period since the problem was intermittent. After the 5th reboot, they agreed to replace the unit for me once I paid to get back into warranty (it was now 13-months old).

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:43 PM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drobo 5D random reboot

Thanks for the info, I attached the diagnostics to my support ticket.

Dec 09, 2012 at 09:55 PM
megancanada
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drobo 5D random reboot

So far so good, I have not experienced any problems with my unit.

I have qty 3 - 3tb Seagate Barracuda drives installed in mine with the Crucial m4 SSD installed.

Been working great so far but I am going to get the extended warranty support plan.

Dec 13, 2012 at 06:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.