New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

shmn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

I've been wanting to get a wireless remote for my D700. I saw the Triggertrap device on the DP Review site and I was checking out the website at http://triggertrap.com/products/triggertrap-mobile/

It looks like you buy a device that plugs into the camera port for $30 and then the mobile app is free. It works as a wireless remote plus it has other features for triggering too.

It seems pretty cheap for a wireless remote plus the other features. I don't mind using my phone (Android) since it's always on me. I don't mind that the Android version doesn't have as many features as the iOS version.

Anyone use this device? Is there another good alternative for a simple wireless remote?

Thanks.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:53 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

I just bought triggertrap to try it out for my D800e with a galaxy Note. All seems to work extremely well even though learning all of the idiosyncrasies is just a bit challenging. Using it as a shutter release is quite simple and efficient . So many capabilities I'm still trying to get a handle on what I could use them for. All in all a great product which I would highly recommend. Once it is updated to do all it can with iOS it will be quite nice, The wireless functionality should be great.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:26 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

dennishh wrote:
I just bought triggertrap to try it out for my D800e with a galaxy Note. All seems to work extremely well even though learning all of the idiosyncrasies is just a bit challenging. Using it as a shutter release is quite simple and efficient . So many capabilities I'm still trying to get a handle on what I could use them for. All in all a great product which I would highly recommend. Once it is updated to do all it can with iOS it will be quite nice, The wireless functionality should be great.

Thanks for the comment.

I was just watching some videos on their site and I think I'm confused about something. It appears that the dongle is connected to the camera and to the phone. I assumed the phone would connect to the camera/dongle via wireless. One of the videos showed an iPhone attached to the camera using an adapter to the flash shoe.

There are no photos on their site (that I could find) that show how things actually look when all connected. I suspect it's because it looks so unwieldy with a smart phone attached to a camera via an adapter (dongle). And where do you get that special cradle that adapts the phone to the hot shoe? If you don't have one of those, you have to rig something that keeps the camera and phone attached. Could not find it on their site.

There isn't a manual for the Android version but I looked at the iPhone version. It seems that in order to do the wireless feature you need TWO wireless devices...your smartphone which is attached to the camera (as the slave) and then another device, either another smartphone or laptop, to actually trigger the camera. All on the same wireless network.

Am I misunderstanding this device? I assumed that the dongle attaches to the camera and then the smartphone communicates and activates the camera/dongle through wireless. I guess my assumption is wrong. And their website does little to clear up this misconception...unless you watch some of the videos linked on their site.

In any event, I think I will be looking for something else. This does appear to be an interesting device if you want to trigger your camera via seismic activity or loud sounds, but it's not very practical as a simple, wireless trigger.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:42 PM
senderdechini

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

Does the app give you a preview to your ipad/iphone once shot? Histogram? Any info from camera or does it just trigger? Also, how long is the cable length?

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:16 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Triggertrap as wireless remote

No preview, No histogram it's about 28". It's just meant to be a multifunctional cable release that does time lapse and HDR nicely. If you want a histogram preview and more functions take a look at helicon remote.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.