Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L
  
 
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


How loud should it be? I just received one from Canon refurb's and the IS noise on it is much louder than either my 24-105 or my 70-200 f/4.

Thanks.



Dec 09, 2012 at 08:04 PM
jhg photo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


Yes, the IS system of this lens is really audible, however, I wouldn`t call it noise.


Dec 09, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


Sound level wise I would describe it as pianissimo. In other words the IS unit is so quiet you can only hear it if you hold the rig next to or against your head while in a quiet environment. Your subject will not hear a thing. Moreover, you probably won't hear anything when using it on the street or in trade winds.


Dec 09, 2012 at 08:31 PM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


jhg photo wrote:
... however, I wouldn`t call it noise.


Canon may call it money, but I call it noise.


Gochugogi wrote:
Sound level wise I would describe it as pianissimo. In other words the IS unit is so quiet you can only hear it if you hold the rig next to or against your head while in a quiet environment. Your subject will not hear a thing. Moreover, you probably won't hear anything when using it on the street or in trade winds.


"pianissimo"? Wow, it's been too long since I've played - would have never pulled this word out of my hat.

Your description matches my other two lenses, but not this one. It is much more (in the words of jhg photo) audible. I was in a quite room, but again, much more audible.

The sound doesn't bother me, if it's to be expected. Just caught me off guard a little.



Dec 09, 2012 at 09:01 PM
mco_970
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


I am noise sensitive, and I'd call it noisy. Mezzo piano.


Dec 09, 2012 at 09:17 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ernie Aubert
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


I just listened to both my 70-200 f4L IS and my 300 f4L IS. I don't really notice any difference in the humming sound, but the click and clack () of starting and stopping are WAY louder in the 300.


Dec 09, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


Yea, it groans and shakes...even feel it a bit...Shoot mostly motorsports with that lens so the noise doesn't bother or disturb those nearby....

Jefferson









Dec 09, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


Ernie Aubert wrote:
I just listened to both my 70-200 f4L IS and my 300 f4L IS. I don't really notice any difference in the humming sound, but the click and clack () of starting and stopping are WAY louder in the 300.


Love the click and clack, it reminds me it is working! I miss the VF drift 'n twitch of 1990s IS and cameras. Almost like being seasick without the hurling 'n cookie toss part!



Dec 09, 2012 at 09:41 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · IS Noise on a 300 f/4 L


Gochugogi wrote:
Love the click and clack, it reminds me it is working!


+1



Dec 09, 2012 at 10:11 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password