Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

DontShoot
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

John Skinner wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why someone would opt for a 200 fixed when it's basically covered in the 70-200 area, and not just go the 300> 2.8? The half stop difference can't be the draw card here.

It's one stop and it's a big deal. REALLY big deal.

I was looking at some old photos I shot with the 70-200 VRII the other day and I was like.. umm, what happened to the bokeh? I thought I had stopped down but no.. those were wide open. I thought the backgrounds look horrendous until I realized that I just got used to the 200 f/2 rendering!

I will say this: If you own a 70-200 and are convinced that the 200/2 is basically the same as the 200mm part of the 70-200, then move on, don't look back, and live happily ever after Whatever you do, don't EVER make the mistake of trying a 200/2, because it WILL haunt you.

Edited on May 09, 2013 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2013 at 07:34 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.5 #2 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

It will only haunt you until you lighten your wallet

May 09, 2013 at 07:39 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

Hell, even on DX...the chubster really seperates itself from the 70-200 zooms.

riversbendphotography

NIKON D7100    200mm    f/2.0    1/400s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 09, 2013 at 07:42 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.5 #4 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

dgjean wrote:
First of all, it's a full stop difference, and secondly, while the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 is a very good lens, it's not on par with the 200/2G--that's the draw card!

Consider reducing caffeine intake. It was just a question for Christs sakes. And as long as I've been doing this which is probably longer than you've been a stain somewhere.. 1/2 stop, 1 stop... seriously. I could produce the same look cheaper.

It's a nice lens with a great look, whether it's tied to the aperture of this lens, I don't know. I was merely questioning the fixed vs. variable. Now how about that Sanka ?

May 10, 2013 at 02:03 AM
dgjean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

John Skinner wrote:
Consider reducing caffeine intake. It was just a question for Christs sakes. And as long as I've been doing this which is probably longer than you've been a stain somewhere.. 1/2 stop, 1 stop... seriously. I could produce the same look cheaper.

It's a nice lens with a great look, whether it's tied to the aperture of this lens, I don't know. I was merely questioning the fixed vs. variable. Now how about that Sanka ?

Sounds like you're the stain that needs to reduce his caffeine intake...

May 10, 2013 at 05:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DontShoot
• • •
p.5 #6 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

how bout some D4 and VR1 love? just sayin..

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

If only I had the money ... I would love that combo ... throw in an 85 f/1.4 and you have a great kit.

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:50 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.5 #8 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

All these images make me want to sell half my lenses to fund a VR II. =( You all are evil.

Sep 06, 2013 at 07:08 AM
RLDubbya
• •
p.5 #9 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

Yeah, great, another chubby thread. I have serious chub envy.

Was telling the wife I wanted to pick one up, and that I found a used one at a good price - she doesn't know anything about photography, but I told her it was a "200/F2" and told her the price. Later that day, at an event, we were chatting with another photographer, much more experience than me, and he said "I'll tell you a little secret: if you want to get the best lifting shots, you need the 200/F2 - you have the 70-200/2.8, and that's good glass, but I'm talking a whole 'nother ballgame."

Sep 06, 2013 at 05:31 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Nikon 200mm f2 vr2 strapped to the D4

RLDubbya wrote:
Yeah, great, another chubby thread. I have serious chub envy.

Was telling the wife I wanted to pick one up, and that I found a used one at a good price - she doesn't know anything about photography, but I told her it was a "200/F2" and told her the price. Later that day, at an event, we were chatting with another photographer, much more experience than me, and he said "I'll tell you a little secret: if you want to get the best lifting shots, you need the 200/F2 - you have the 70-200/2.8, and that's good glass, but I'm
...Show more

It weighs a tonne, looks huge and draws lots of attention. I use it infrequently, and almost sold it earlier this year. But I strapped it on the D4 and fired off some shots and then proceeded to call the guy who was buying it to say he could no longer have it.

It's too damn good!

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password