Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

Jkovack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

besides photography i also run a photobooth business and use canon rebel xs bodies in my booths. for the first time in 3 years i had a shutter failure tonight.

is it possible to remove the mirror unit and the shutter since the camera is on manual focus, and live view?

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:51 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #2 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

I'm going to be watching this thread.

Glenn

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:09 AM
Phil McNeil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

What a funny world we are living in! I'll be curious too.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:11 AM
prh5551
• • •
p.1 #4 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

it will make a nice paperweight

prh

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:27 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #5 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

The shutter blocks light from the sensor and is required to make the exposure on a DSLR. Don't see how you could remove it. They don't have a "Shutter Lock-Up" feature for a reason

Mirror, yes, if you were always using live view.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:48 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

Get an M

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jkovack

p.1 #7 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

dwweiche wrote:
The shutter blocks light from the sensor and is required to make the exposure on a DSLR. Don't see how you could remove it. They don't have a "Shutter Lock-Up" feature for a reason

Mirror, yes, if you were always using live view.

in movie mode on dslr the sensor is still making the exposure without the shutter being active. Right?

I know how traditional slr technology works, but cameras these days aren't traditional. But in movie mode if you snap a pic it does use the shutter.

It was last last night and my mind was wandering

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

Listen to your camera (when the shutter is operating) or a modern Canon DSLR. Even on Live View, the shutter operates. There is an electronic "first curtain" that simulates a slit, because the second curtain is the actual shutter curtain closing.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:53 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

Whether you can kludge your camera to work this way or not is an interesting question. However, running a "photobooth business," I suspect that the most sensible option from a business point of view is to spend a few hundred bucks on a new low end t3 or similar rather than futzing around.

Dan

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Jkovack

p.1 #10 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Whether you can kludge your camera to work this way or not is an interesting question. However, running a "photobooth business," I suspect that the most sensible option from a business point of view is to spend a few hundred bucks on a new low end t3 or similar rather than futzing around.

Dan

thats the plan, i was just going to mess around with this one if anything was possible, since its pretty much a paper weight

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · eliminating mirror and shutter?

Since the Canon 40D and Rebel XSi/450D onward, Canon has used an electronic first curtain when shooting with Live View activated. With LV Quick AF the mirror descends and the camera will phase AF as in normal operation prior to the mirror flipping up and the shutter opening. In LV Live AF or in LV manual focus the mirror stays up, the shutter stays open and the exposure is initiated electronically. Thus electronic first curtain has less vibration than normal operation with MLU, as in MLU the shutter has to open to initiate the shot, which causes some additional camera vibration at the beginning of the exposure.

In all cases the shutter closes to terminate the exposure. I know of no way around this. It sounds as if you would need to figure out how to use electronic second curtain if you have no shutter. None of the Canon dSLRs currently have that capability.

If you are shooting in LV the shutter automatically reopens again to get ready for the next shot.
Mike K

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password