Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What Second body for trip?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Second body for trip?

I would appreciate input from the forum regarding a second body for an upcoming trip. I am scheduled to go on a photo tour for owls in Quebec/Ontario in January. This is a big trip for me, maybe once in a lifetime, and I would like it to turn out well. For bodies I currently own a 1D MIII and a 40D, for lenses I will be using both the 100-400 zoom and the 500 f4. I am wondering if the 40D is up to the task, especially for owls in flight. I see three options aside from taking the 40D, each with its own advantages:

Rent a 1D MIV for the week at about $400

Rent a 5D MIII for the week for about $250

Buy another 1D MIII, and sell it after I return

The 1D MIV is probably the camera most suited to the task, but the most expensive option. The 5D MIII is close in performance, less expensive, and probably my next body upgrade (I shoot more landscape than action). It is not weather-sealed however, and I am losing some reach. With both of these, I would be using a camera I am not familiar with for a big trip, which causes some concern. With the 1D MIIIís, I could buy one, use it for the trip, and sell it after I return. No way to know how much money I would lose in this option, my guess is around the price of the 5D MIII rental, but I would have a sealed body with better battery, and one I am familiar with.

Realizing that there is no absolute right answer, what would be the input of the forum? What would you do in my position?

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Second body for trip?

Perhaps get a 7D or rent one?

EBH

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:26 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Second body for trip?

jstephens62 wrote:
...This is a big trip for me, maybe once in a lifetime ...The 1D MIV is probably the camera most suited to the task, but the most expensive option.

Once in a lifetime opportunity? No question in my mind that the most expensive option is also the one I would choose.

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:29 AM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Second body for trip?

BrianO wrote:
Once in a lifetime opportunity? No question in my mind that the most expensive option is also the one I would choose.

I would disagree. For a once in a lifetime opportunity, you don't necessary want the most expensive option rather the option you feel will give you the best chance of nailing the shot. Maybe that is the 1D IV but as you've mentioned you're not familiar with the camera. Yes, the 1D IV is a nice upgrade to the 1D III but you're comfortable with the 1D III that's not a factor you should ignore. The 1D IV could be liability if you're not familiar with the menu, focus settings, etc., and cause you to miss that once in a lifetime shot.

That said, if I were in your shoes I would get the 1D IV and spend plenty of time before the trip getting very familiar with the camera. Otherwise, I'd stick to what I know.

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:42 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Second body for trip?

Curious as to why you don't think the 40D is up to the task? I have not used a 40D, but if it is a body you are familiar with, why spend money unnecessarily? Plus it will give you a bit more reach. Now I could see spending the money if you don't feel comfortable with the 40D or if there is an issue with it. Put the 100-400 on the 40D and the 500 on the 1DIII and have fun. And if you find yourself FL limited, put the 500 on the 40D.
On another note, I would think you would loose very little with buying and reselling a 1DIII unless there is a long gap between or something happens to it.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:10 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Second body for trip?

I love the flexibility of having a FF and a crop. The 40D was an excellent camera. If it's still working and you're happy with the results stick with it. If you're a perfectionist I'd recommend upgrading to the 7d. It's very similar in most regards but has excellent low light capture. The AF is much better than the 40D as well.

The 7d is probably the best wildlife camera out there today. The 5DIII is a contender but the crop sensor of the 7D means your lenses have more reach without having to use other hardware.

As far as lenses, you have the 2 best wildlife lenses. I'd say you're pretty much covered. Good luck and have fun.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Second body for trip?

BTW, there' s resident Barred Owl in Presqu'ile Park in Ontario. He isn't very shy. The Red Foxes are quite camera friendly too.

If you choose to, PM me and I'll be happy to show you his favourite trees. My wife has some beautiful shots of him (7D with 100-400).

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:04 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Second body for trip?

rebelshooter wrote:
Curious as to why you don't think the 40D is up to the task? I have not used a 40D, but if it is a body you are familiar with, why spend money unnecessarily? Plus it will give you a bit more reach. Now I could see spending the money if you don't feel comfortable with the 40D or if there is an issue with it. Put the 100-400 on the 40D and the 500 on the 1DIII and have fun. And if you find yourself FL limited, put the 500 on the 40D.
On another note, I would think you
...Show more

I have struggled with the 40D and the 100-400 for birds in flight. I can tell a real difference between it and the 1D MIII. If I was shooting mammals in Africa I would not worry, for perched birds it would be fine, but for birds in flight it could be a limiting factor.

Not sure of why I had not thought of the 7D, I will look into that option.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:30 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Second body for trip?

7D

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:06 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Second body for trip?

jstephens62 wrote:
I have struggled with the 40D and the 100-400 for birds in flight. I can tell a real difference between it and the 1D MIII. If I was shooting mammals in Africa I would not worry, for perched birds it would be fine, but for birds in flight it could be a limiting factor.

Not sure of why I had not thought of the 7D, I will look into that option.

Totally agree. The 7D is a worthy replacement for our wonderful old 40Ds. We use the 7D along side a 1Ds III with excellent results.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:46 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Second body for trip?

Have used 7D, 1D4, 5D3. For wildlife the 7D for reach and 5D3 for low-light &
action are a great combo. Find 1D4 too heavy, less reach than 7D and slower
than 5D3. Have been very impressed with IQ of 7D in close-ups from a distance
with the Canon 100-400 L lens (the poor man's telescopic lens). Have gotten
excellent close-ups of chimps for example where it feels like you're face-to-face.
ugly buggers.

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password