Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

My question is about the Canon 1DIV, but I have to describe a feature of the 1Dx to get to my question. When shooting my 1Dx with a single focus point selected and all surrounding points (or even a few surrounding points) activated, I can set the camera to allow me to see all of the active focus points, lit up, while I'm shooting. In effect, this is like having one relatively giant focus point to work with, and I find it to be one of the best features of this camera. By comparison, shooting with the 1DIV (as with previous 1-series bodies), even though I may have surrounding points activated, while shooting, I only see the single, selected focus point. So here's the question: Is it possible to set the 1DIV to allow for all of the activated focus points to light up during shooting? I'm assuming this is a new feature with the 1Dx, but you never know...

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:33 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

Russ,

My experience (with the 1DIV) mirrors yours. Even if I have center point with assist I only get a single active red square when focus is achieved. Of course with multiple point (evaluative?) several points will highlight. If the 1Dx does what you describe that would be even more desirable. I don't know of any way to do that with a 1DIV and I've tried a lot of things. Any body else got a suggestions?

Robert

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

In One shot AF mode, if any of expansion AF points achieve focus, they will light up as a confirmation.
In Servo AF, the expansion AF points are always invisible, and the preselected AF point remains lit constantly. The focus confirmation, or rather lack of focus, is annunciated by a fast blinking LED in the VF.

That is the way it works on 1DMkIIN, and I expect a similar scheme exists in 1DMkIV.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

Robert and Peter: Thank you. That's my understanding as well. It's just that this feature in the 1Dx is so seemingly useful, and logical!, and basic, that I feel like it must always have been present in the 1-series bodies and I'm just now discovering it. Guess not. Damn.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:43 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

Russ, that is a strength of the new style VF display that was introduced with 7D, and then it has been carried over to 1DX and 5DMkIII.
Unfortunately, the penalty is in reduced visibility/illumination of AF points now in general......sometimes that becomes a bit of a pain, sometimes it's not a problem at all.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:12 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DIV: Focus point visibility during shooting

Yeah, the firmware fix for the 1DX AF point illumination helps but it's still far more visible in the 1D4 and you don't have the irritating VF leaking light as well.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password