New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

OK, so it's not REAL fog, but it seemed to fit the mood of the picture. Your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

PS - my husband really hates it

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:23 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

I think it is an interesting effect but maybe a bit overdone. Have you tried cutting back to see if you can add a more subtle and dreamy appearance?

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

There's something about it that doesn't look quite like fog. Maybe fog isn't that bright in subdued shaded forest light.

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Here's another version, a little more subtle. I had two effects going here from Color Efex, "Sunlight" and "Graduated Fog". Perhaps the two simply don't go well together eh Karen?

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Actually, now that I see the two together, the second one does look a bit more realistic. Anyone agree?

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Hi Jo,

I'm puzzled by the apparent light source causing the brighter area at the top of the image .... Likely the "sunlight" filter. Were it fog, the top would be darker and less saturated - hence the unnatural look. At least to me.

Yes, the second is closer but the lighting is problematic.

My2-cents,

Bob

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

How about even less of this effect? No it doesn't look much like fog but there is a dampness and mood.

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Interesting artistic rendering.

You might take a stab at masking the fog effect from the two (L & R) foreground trees. I think this is "telling" on the applied effect, because we'd see the closer trees more clearly than the more distant ones. As it is in the image, the tops are foggier than the bottoms, but that doesn't correlate to what we'd see in person for the most foreground tree in particular.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Thanks Kent, you have a good point. I'll give that a try and see what I come up with tomorrow. Really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

OK, so I tried to make it more realistic with some masking at different %'s from front to back, does it look any better now? I have a client who loves this picture and I'd like to make it as realistic as possible. Thanks in advance!

Jo

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Maybe a little adjustment to the foreground trees blue bark. A touch too blue for my usual taste, but it might be one of those times where it adds to the ambiance ... just something to consider, not sure if it'll help for realism, or if it'll undo "the look" in the process ... a delicate balance you're working with here to be sure. Be judicious & patient as it "comes to you".

Also, I think with the foreground tree masking ... I'd like to see the heavier fogginess (or split the diff) of the first one in the background. You might consider the bright spot @ TLC. It pulls my eye a bit, which helps widen the view, but without it, it doesn't compete with the central path as much. Just a few different thoughts ... neither better, nor worse, just for consideration @ your preferences.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

OK, I think I've got it now, toned down the blue a teeny bit (didn't want to lose it all for the sake of the ethereal feeling) and put back some of the fog on the foreground tree.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Diggin' your judicious touches ... maybe a bit more foggy-ness (like the first one) in the distant background now (or not).

This one really is a bit like a chef seasoning with S&P to taste ... a dash here, a pinch there, taste & repeat till its "just the way you want it."

I think you're dialed in pretty good to the balance of real vs. surreal ... nuances from here on.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:55 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Better, but it still looks odd to have the floor of the forest brighter than the upper fogged parts. The mind expects the floor to be darker because fog attenuates light.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Interesting challenge.

Perhaps something like this? In CS6 - some selective burning in on trees, blur upper half, desaturate upper half, CEPro4 Graduated Fog filter.

Or, a BW version could be equally interesting,

Regards,

Bob

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Took a stab ... tried to lower the floor a bit per Karen's rec. Probably kinda tough to do any real good working from these mid process, but for gist ...

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:09 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Thanks Bob, I like both of your versions, the foggy one is just a bit too foggy for my vision, the BW version is rather nice!

Kent - I know Karen suggested it, but I think your version just shows too much darkness on the bottom, even though I DO like it. I really was going for the ethereal, sort-of fairy world look. Got a friend who is into that look and I think my final version is more of what she was looking for. Guess we'll know when I share it with her!

Thanks to everyone, you all had great suggestions and I very much appreciate your input.

Jo

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Jo,

No worries ... you know your audience better than we do. Good luck.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Foggy Dogwoods.........

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
Thanks Bob, I like both of your versions, the foggy one is just a bit too foggy for my vision, the BW version is rather nice!

Kent - I know Karen suggested it, but I think your version just shows too much darkness on the bottom, even though I DO like it. I really was going for the ethereal, sort-of fairy world look. Got a friend who is into that look and I think my final version is more of what she was looking for. Guess we'll know when I share it with her!

Thanks to everyone, you all had great
...Show more

Thanks Jo,

Interesting the varying interpretations - fog to eye level or ground level as @Oregon Gal portrayed.

Re BW - I think some possibilities there, looking again it lacks 'presence' but with some highly selective sharpening, dodge & burn, I think it could get there. I would be interested in seeing your final version, color or BW, should you decide to pursue it.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.