Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D III vs 1D IV

fintax
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I have the 1D Mark IV, and love it! But as I'm nearing retirement, I'm beginning to feel the WEIGHT of this body, as I also haul along my 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS and 135 f/2 lenses (plus my phone, Surface RT tablet and other stuff).
I'm thinking of selling it to get the 5D III, but will I get the same image quality? There's something about the 1D files that just seems like magic!
I do mainly travel/landscape/portrait photos and not that much sports shooting, so frame rate isn't that high on my list.
Will I miss the magic of the 1D by switching to the 5D III?
Thanks.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I have both, and I don't think you will. The 5D III makes some darn nice files too, and they're both higher resolution and a bit cleaner at higher ISOs. There are some factors about the 1 series cameras that are just above and beyond, but as far as IQ is concerned between these two, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 5D III. Can you bring your 1D IV to a local camera store and test them with the same lens?

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:17 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D III vs 1D IV

Snapsort sums it up really well. Please see the comparison and ranking below:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_IV

Cheers.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D III vs 1D IV

arnold1 wrote:
Snapsort sums it up really well. Please see the comparison and ranking below:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_IV

Cheers.

My mark IV has an external mic jack, unlike what the comparison states.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:27 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I don't do any videos so for me the mic jack won't be a deal breaker.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:35 PM
fintax
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D III vs 1D IV

Seems that the 5D III has better image quality, but the 1D 4 has more dynamic range. Is it the DR that gives the 1D it's magic quality?
Sadly, I'm not sure what the differences are between "image quality" and "dynamic range". Maybe someone can point me in the right direction...
Thanks.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:33 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D III vs 1D IV

My wife and I have two 1DMIVs and two 5DIIIs. If two had to go it would be the 5DIIIs but that's just us, YMMV

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D III vs 1D IV

Herb Houghton wrote:
My mark IV has an external mic jack, unlike what the comparison states.

Both bodies have two memory card slots. And a reason to buy the 1D4 is more memory card slots And they are wrong about the shutter lag also.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:36 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D III vs 1D IV

fintax wrote:
I have the 1D Mark IV, and love it! But as I'm nearing retirement, I'm beginning to feel the WEIGHT of this body, as I also haul along my 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS and 135 f/2 lenses (plus my phone, Surface RT tablet and other stuff).
I'm thinking of selling it to get the 5D III, but will I get the same image quality? There's something about the 1D files that just seems like magic!
I do mainly travel/landscape/portrait photos and not that much sports shooting, so frame rate isn't that high on my list.
Will I miss the magic of the 1D
...Show more

I own both, and I cannot understand your thinking. The 5Dmk3 has superior IQ, in all aspects of IQ I know about. Now, with the mk3, even the AF is superior, so what is left, is higher frame rate, better battery life, weather sealing and better ergonomy/functionality than the 5Dmk3. There will soon be a new FW for 5Dmk3 that will cover AF at f8, also. So, I just convinved myself I can just sell my mk4 now, thanks :-)

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D III vs 1D IV

The IQ differences aren't that great. Yes the 5D III is a little better, mostly noticeable at high ISO but even then the 1D IV is still excellent up to about ISO 6400.

Not sure I'd sell a 5D III to get a 1D IV however, unless you need the better build and speed. I own both and you be damned happy to have either one.

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D III vs 1D IV

Just bought myself a 5d3 about an hour ago. So I need to sell either my 1d3 or a lens for about $1000 before the bill comes in.

If the 5d3 is as good as everyone is gushing about, I probably have little reason to keep the 1d3, but I'm also not sure its worth parting with at today's prices (say $1k...)

I've never used a mk iv, but can imagine that decision is significantly harder than the one I need to make...

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D III vs 1D IV

fintax wrote:

For these tasks the 5D3 is the best choice. Will you miss the 1D4? Yes, probably, but only during the first few weeks
Claude

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I have a 1D4 and had a 5D3 for about 3 months and the first impression is the 5D3 never missed AF. Another feature I wish had been included in the 1Dx is "in camera HDR". It is very good without the HDR look when used in the first two settings. (can't remember what they're called now). IQ is better than the 1D4, but only in raw. Jpgs are pretty poor.

If the 1D4 wasn't a crop body, it would have been replaced by the 5D3, especially with AF at f/8 coming soon.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:37 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I own both cameras-

advantages of 5DIII:
-5DIII has better AF for sure. More accurate points, better tracking, much higher percentage of keepers.
-5DIII Viewfinder is much brighter than the 1DIV
-back screen resolution really makes it possible to determine critical focus
-Ability to have a smaller body is nice at times (I always use the battery grip)
-High ISO a bit cleaner
-Overall files nicer

advantages of the IDIV:
-so much faster to respond than the 5DIII
-Frame rate makes capturing peak action much easier
-instant wake up
-weather sealing
-Crop factor if focal length limited
-tank like build

There are parts of each camera that I am not willing to part with. Combining the best of both is what the 1Dx is I am guessing. As a sports shooter, I get more out of two bodies than I would with a single 1Dx...although I am seriously considering it. I am trying to hold out for the next generation of camera from Canon...I am hoping it will be a revolutionary one

Good luck

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D III vs 1D IV

I have both and the 5D3 has noticeably better (as expected) IQ, ISO performance and IME more dynamic range. The 1Dmk4 files appear noticeably sharper SOOC with more contrast, which I like. To me there is something also magical about holding and using the 1D body, but if I were to sell one, it would be the bigger, heavier, older (design wise) 1Dmk4. I agree with Vancouver47; the 5D3 jpgs are poor so in my mind the 5D3 doesn't shoot jpg. Canon must have focused on making the 1Dmk4 jpgs decent for sports shooters because they are pretty good.

the 1Dmk4 very obviously has a mic jack, but maybe the comparison meant to say "Headphone Jack"?

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D III vs 1D IV

Smaller body size and FF that is my main reasons I sold 1D4, 1D body is too much for my hands and I never will use grip on 5d3. But I like both very much, Iso performance is better on 5D3, that is probably all. AF on both are very good.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:11 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D III vs 1D IV

although I don't have 5DIII,
looking at your lens profile,
full frame will work out better for you regardless camera spec
wide will be wide.. plus for landscape..

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:25 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D III vs 1D IV

They are two different cameras used for two different things.

If someone offered me going used rate for either of my 5D3's or either of my 1DIV's, I'd sell them. It's not that I want to, it's just I"m not particularly attached to anything anymore.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:05 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D III vs 1D IV

2 great camera's...had the 1d4 and sold it...the 5D3 is simply the better camera now unless you absolutely need the higher FPS

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password