New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Replacing head in family photo

csebasti
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacing head in family photo

I'm trying to replace a head in a family photo, and as I don't have a lot of practice at that kind of task, I'm having trouble making it look realistic. Out of a series of ~10 shots, this was the best of the family, but the baby was never looking at the camera in any of them. So I'm trying to take her head from a photo that was taken about a minute later in the same location, so roughly the same lighting. Zoom is different, so I scaled her head, but maybe the change in perspective makes it more difficult too.

I'd like some help with this, and have added links to the two original raw files at the bottom if anyone wants to play around.

Anyway, here is my attempt. I developed the family shot in Lightroom, and synced the develop settings to the shot I took the head from. I scaled the head down to try and match size, and also adjusted brightness using curves and a layer mask to try to more closely match the lighting. It looks off to me, but I can't quite figure out what is wrong or what to do:
http://bc-sebastian.com/forum/family/12-1638_crop2.jpg

Here is the original for comparison:
http://bc-sebastian.com/forum/family/12-1638_crop.jpg

Link to original RAW of family shot:
http://bc-sebastian.com/forum/family/12-1638.CR2

Link to original RAW of shot baby's head was taken from:
http://bc-sebastian.com/forum/family/12-1647.CR2

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacing head in family photo

The human body is not just a collection of parts, so the pasted head may not look anatomically correct. It looks reasonable to me, but the question is whether it looks good enough to the viewers. I might tilt the head a bit more to the left.

EBH

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:40 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacing head in family photo

If you hadn't mentioned that the baby's head was replaced, I don't think I would have picked up on it. Even knowing that the head was replaced, it still isn't obvious, and I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't notice. I think you did a great job.

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:03 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacing head in family photo

yes, a very good job to those who don't know the baby.

the acid test is to show the shot to family members and wait for the reaction

greg

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacing head in family photo

I do this sort of thing with group shots all the time, especially when kids are involved.

Your results are fine. The only thing I might do differently is let the baby's collar wrap around the face a bit and maybe get rid of the shadow behind its head (below the mother's neck).

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:15 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacing head in family photo

I also couldn't tell what you had done and the only ones that might notice something would be your family/friends. Good job! I replaced my first head in photoshop last week. With baby/toddler pics I keep snapping pics of the same basic pose while people blink, stop smiling, look around, frown, etc. I don't delete any of them. At home I will look through for my main photo and then a photo with a suitable head donor. Sounds like you had a tough time with the baby cooperating for you but you still had a good head lying around somewhere at home!

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:23 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacing head in family photo

I noticed it when you pointed it out. I think one thing is that it's a little too sharp (probably due to the closer zoom of the original, so maybe a very slight softening. Also, the shadow from the mom's arm isn't there on her face, and it is in the original.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:33 AM
jwp721
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replacing head in family photo

Call it a wrap and move on. No one will ever notice what you have done unless you point it out to them....

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Replacing head in family photo

It is a good spot the difference puzzle, but nothing anyone would notice. Good photo. Don't give up your secrets to anyone but us. They'll say you always get the best family photos!

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:00 PM
csebasti
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Replacing head in family photo

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I took the advice from Ho1972 and let the shirt color show a little in front of the chin and removed the shadow behind the head that I accidentally left in. I'm calling it good with these updates, and it's ready for printing.

Jman13 - I thought the same thing about the sharpness when I first started working on the head replacement. I actually did a very slight gausian blur on the head. You can't tell from the images above, but at 100% the baby's head is actually a little softer than everyone else in the picture.

Chris

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Replacing head in family photo

Well, if that's the case, it's probably more a global contrast thing. Have you reduced the contrast on the head a little bit. We're not talking big changes...just a little.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Replacing head in family photo

Looks fine to me. Of course, no one is looking at the baby anyhow, so it's not too critical.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.