Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priorit...

xopher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Without taking money into account, which of these lenses would you choose?

As of this moment, I am a stronger believer in shooting only prime lenses (I own 35L.85L.135L), however, I'm tempted to get a zoom for Weddings, Events, and Travelling.

In the past, I've encountered some venues with VERY poor lighting and set up as a result of poor organizers without much consideration of the photography. At these instances, I find myself shooting a lot at f2 for consistency reasons with high high ISOs (ISO 6400 - 10000 on 5D3) or I find myself missing moments because I lack the room to move about.

This really bugs me and I feel a flash coupled with one the two aforementioned 2 lenses will able to solve my problems. I understand the merits of having a f2.8 over a f4 lens in low light IF theres no flash involved, however, if we factor one in, how much does it the f2.8 really help? My other photographer friend is telling me 2.8 because of the low light capabilities, but like i said before, I don't feel this applies to me because A) I have f1.2-1.4 primes for when SHTF and B) I personally find there are marginal benefits for low light when a flash is involved. The 24-105 in my case APPEARS to be the ideal choice because its more compact, has IS (dreams of trying out cinematography later on), and a longer range.

What do you more seasoned photographers think about this? Are there factors I have forgotten to take into account?

Also, how much better is the glass on 24-70? (Yes this bugs me )

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:05 PM
qburke

p.1 #2 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I wouldn't get either. If you really want a zoom for when you can't move about, go for the 70-200.

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:13 PM
ronno
• •
p.1 #3 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I also use primes almost exclusively, and the issue I had with the 24-105 is that you can not control depth of field as well as with the faster lenses. Given that you are used to L primes, this might bother you.
If you are not concerned about narrow depth of field, the 24-105 is a decent lens.

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Phil McNeil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

As a mostly prime shooter you may find that the 24-105 makes a good walk around/travel/event lens, yes the DOF control is limited, but it's not bad on a full frame sensor. And the 24-105 is lighter, smaller and cheaper than the 24-70. Yes, the 24-70 II is nicer glass for sure, but the 24-105 does quite well. If you did not have primes, and wanted to do a lot of event/wedding work as your main gig, then the 24-70 is a must have. But as a do everything, the 24-105 is a good 'un.

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:51 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I also love my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mk II!

But if the OP is looking for a shorter zoom, I would pick the 24-70 f/2.8 MK II (I have both this and the 24-105).

Why? For me, there is no comparison in the sharpness of these two lenses. Yes, I like the greater range and IS of the 24-105, but for me none of that matters if the sharpness is not there (and I don't do video).

For you - the trade-offs might be different.

Dec 08, 2012 at 09:52 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I call my 24-105L my carefree and insurance lens, within parameters. I can drop it in my bag and be pretty sure that with the IS and 5D3's ISO range I will get the shot, whatever comes up, and that shot will be pretty decent. On the other hand, if I'm feeling I want critical sharpness, creamy background, low light 'n such, I'll take primes too.

That said, I am also kicking around getting the 24-70L II, but it will also mean painstaking extra care in shooting to get all of its benefits. The allure of what is reputedly now Canon's best lens is great, however will it be realistic for all of those various uses?

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

xopher wrote:
Without taking money into account, which of these lenses would you choose?

As of this moment, I am a stronger believer in shooting only prime lenses (I own 35L.85L.135L), however, I'm tempted to get a zoom for Weddings, Events, and Travelling.

In the past, I've encountered some venues with VERY poor lighting and set up as a result of poor organizers without much consideration of the photography. At these instances, I find myself shooting a lot at f2 for consistency reasons with high high ISOs (ISO 6400 - 10000 on 5D3) or I find myself missing moments because I lack the room
...Show more

Well it depends, f/2.8 helps that sort of thing for sure, but then you say you would use primes anyway but then you say sometimes you miss shots because you can't move around fast enough or have space to be able to re-frame....

Also, how much better is the glass on 24-70? (Yes this bugs me )

Real lots if you are talking 24-70 II. I'd never use the 24-105 as my travel lens since then I'd be using my worst quality lens in all the very most interesting locations!
It also focuses better too, especially on 5D3/1DX which can utilize the high precision AF engine.

Edited on Dec 09, 2012 at 05:54 AM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • •
p.1 #8 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Well I would separate travel and event. I owned a 24 -105 for about six years. Great lens for travel. Events? It worked but is awful at 24mm. Distortion and really bad CA. The people on the outsides looked bloated.

I recently picked up the new 24-70 II. One fine lens. Outsides look more natural. As far a low light is concerned you can shoot pretty high ISO these days. I had no issues shooting at 6400 if I had to. 2.8 vs 4 is more of a DOF thing than speed to me although the speed helps. I do miss the IS but have noticed I'm not really struggling without it.

If I had the money I would have kept the 24-105 as my walk around for travel. The 24-70 is taking on the multi task duties now. Also I looked for a landscape lens for my FF. Rented the 24 TSE II and Zeiss 21. Glad I held out as my 24-70 will also do that as well. The initial cost is high but considering that I have one that will do all 3 things it was not too bad. A tad heavier than the 24-105 as a walk around.

Edited on Dec 10, 2012 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Even when using flash there is are benefits to having f/2.8 available, such as one stop more light on backgrounds, and shallower depth-of-field for better bokeh, especially at the wide end of the zoom range. So, for weddings and indoor events I'd go for the 24-70.

For travel, though, the added reach of the 24-105 trumps the extra stop of light-gathering on the 24-70. If you can't have both a 24-70 and a 70-200, then I'd go for the 24-105 for travel.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:10 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Probably the 24-70 for flexibility, but truthfully for wedding venues lighting will go a long way for less money. I started shooting with alienbees 2 years ago, and it really helps a lot. It takes some time to get the hang of it, but the results are much better. Adding a grid to the lights helps to narrow the beam for the first dance so you can shoot wide without lighting up the ceiling.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=406482662756955&set=a.406480942757127.92920.189425577795999&type=1&theater

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #11 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Buy both and try them...sell the one you don't like.

Seems the only option in your circumstances (loads of money to buy lenses).

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #12 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

While the choice sounds straight forward; it isn't quite so. Your primes are as good as it gets. If you want to add a zoom for weddings the 70-200 f2.8 L IS MkII is the best lens to come around in years. I've ordered the 24-70 MkII to replace my 28-70L in hopes it stacks up like the new 70-200. So for weddings those would be my choices. The 24-105 isn't so good in receptions as they are often poorly lit.
If your primary use would be a walking around/travel lens then the extra reach an IS on the 24-105 make it ideal. The f4 may not be to your liking but it's great for the average vacation shot.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:18 AM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #13 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

One more option is the new 24-70 f/4 IS that is soon to be out. I thought I've even read this month. From what I've read about it my guess is that if this lens was an option when I purchased the 24-70II I may have chosen it instead. The II is a fine lens but I believe that the f/4 option would work well for me too, especially having the IS.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:25 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #14 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I have both lenses and for me more often now it comes down to weight as to which one I'll carry. If I plan to bring other lenses along such as the 70-300, then I'll take the 24-70. If I want to go light and with a one lens walkaround solution, then I'll take the 24-105 for the extra reach and lighter build and IS.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

xopher wrote:

I'm a "strong believer" that a primes-only strategy makes sense perhaps even less than a zooms-only strategy. Primes and zooms, for many serious photographers, form a complementary pairing that has many more advantages than limiting yourself to only one or the other type of lens. (I can imagine situations in which it makes sense to use "either/or," but most of those lead to zooms and only a much, much smaller number of scenarios lead to only primes.)

As to the 24-105 versus 24-70 question, I'll first point you and others reading the thread to something I wrote on the subject a while ago:

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2011/02/06/canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8-l-versus-canon-ef-24-105mm-f5-l-is

(This was written before the newest version of the 24-70 was released, but the conceptual points remain much the same.)

Let's say that your goal is to complement the functionality of your primes and not replace it - e.g. you can keep primes for the times when you need their very large apertures and narrow DOF and are willing to live with their lesser degree of flexibility... and then use the zoom to do things that the primes don't do so well, mainly adapt quickly to changing shooting situations and work fine with flash. In this case, the larger focal length range of the 24-105 probably trumps the 24-70 since it enhances the very flexibility that you are looking for when you consider the zoom option.

(Quick note about me. I'm very critical about image quality. I own more primes than zooms. The 24-105 is more or less my "default" lens in many situations. It is a fine performer. Some of the criticisms in this thread hold a grain of truth but are overstated, while others are roughly nonsense. Image quality from the lens in terms of resolution is excellent. Its primary weaknesses are greater barrel distortion at 24mm, noticeable vignetting at 24mm and f/4, and a tendency to develop "zoom creep" over time. The IQ issues are rarely visible, and current post-processing software automatically compensates for them.)

If you are trying to "come as close as possible to a zoom that sort of works like a prime," then the 24-70 could be your lens. You'll give up some significant focal length relative to the 24-105, notably in the range often used for portrait work. You will not have image stabilization, which will somewhat limit your ability to use the lens in low light for certain types of work. You'll get one additional stop of aperture for just a bit narrower DOF, though the quality of the OOF stuff is smoother with this lens than with the 24-105. Oh, and you'll spend about twice as much... or more.

Both of these are fine lenses that can produce excellent photographic results. They have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses, but that cuts both ways.

Dan

Edited on Dec 09, 2012 at 09:43 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:23 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

How about the best of both worlds, the Tamron 24-70VC? It's sharper than both the 24-70 (ver I) and 24-105, is f/2.8, and has image stabilization.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:38 PM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #17 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

I used to use 2 F4 zooms and 3 primes (35,85,135) but i ended up moving to 24-70 & 70-200. I prefer to use F2.8 and high ISO to maintain a decent DOF, if this doesn't work i found using a flash to result in much better and consistent results. I kept my primes and moved to the 2.8 zooms but i just wasn't using the primes enough to justify keeping. On too many occasions i have found that using available light when the light is really low just doesn't give me the results i am looking for. I finally gave in and decided to invest some time and learn how to use a flash properly and i have been much happier with the results.

For events/weddings a standard 2.8 zoom and flash is essential i think. At a recent wedding i used the 24-70 for 99% of shots. I held off buying the 24-70 for many years due to its mixed reviews but i picked up a copy about 18 months ago and no regrets. Having 2.8 still allows you better subject isolation than F4 and to make use of what available light there is, quite often i find using F2.8 with a little bounced flash produces excellent results.

For weddings my setup is 2 bodies, 24-70/70-200 & flash. I really like the simplicity of this setup as it means i don't spend any time fiddling with kit.

Edited on Dec 09, 2012 at 05:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #18 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Had the 105, sold it when I got a steal on a 70. Haven't missed the reach of the 105 yet for weddings.

I wish Tamron would have kept working on their 28-105 f/2.8 from several years ago.

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

Betacamman wrote:
Had the 105, sold it when I got a steal on a 70. Haven't missed the reach of the 105 yet for weddings.

I wish Tamron would have kept working on their 28-105 f/2.8 from several years ago.

Wait, didn't you just write that you "haven't missed the reach of the 105," and then write that you wish Tamron made a lens that went to 105? ;-)

Dec 09, 2012 at 09:42 PM
joezasada
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 24-105 or 24-70 for weddings, events, travelling (priority in that order)

you can always rent lenses to try them out...

I find wider apertures to almost always be more useful; I have zooms but I reach for my primes a lot more often.

one thing to consider: if you are shooting events, why not use two camera bodies, one each with a different lens? one with a wider angle and one with something more telephoto-ish? with the very high prices of lenses these days, and the low prices of bodies (new and/or used!) that is definitely an option to consider.

When I shoot events I almost always am wearing two bodies; one with a wide and one with a telephoto...

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password