Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Request for Family Portrait on Christmas Eve

skydiveaddict

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Request for Family Portrait on Christmas Eve

I've been approached to do a family portrait session of 21 people on Christmas Eve!! they would love a Portrait of the entire family and also on of the children, not sure how many children though...

Details: On location shoot at her parent's home, around dinner time, maybe outside photo of family...4:30pm in AZ, about 1 hr to sunset. Still not sure about details of setting up or how much time available prior...(this is a surprise)....or what I would need to do to prepare...as well as not sure what lenses I may need to have...It was suggested for about 45 minutes to 1 hr of shooting time.

I did a shoot for this person for her recently and made a 'video of it' please view the link below. not sure how to make it hyper...

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdizc2l2xptfy52/A%20Wagner%20Family%20Video.mp4

What would you charge for something like this?

Please help!!!

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #2 · Request for Family Portrait on Christmas Eve

FIRST........you need to determine if the home has a usable space that will accomodate 21 people in a fashion that will let you successfully make the shot with appropriate lights, approprite setting and props, etc. Only you can confirm this information. That takes a visit in advance with the person who want to hire you. You can talk rates at that time, but normally holiday work means a rate factor of twice the normal rate. You can discount the advance visit if you wish as an offset.

Gene

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:48 AM
gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Request for Family Portrait on Christmas Eve

I suggest 3x your normal rate, even for a previous client. Imagine all the family for a moment being local, then compare their inconvenience of having to reconvene to do the shot an other time, plus your and your family's inconvenience of disrupting your holiday. This would be the premium of your time versus normal work time.

Good luck.
Guy

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:40 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Request for Family Portrait on Christmas Eve

I do at least one Thanksgiving day or Christmas eve shoot every year. I seldom take an hour but I am a fast shooter. I do 3-4 position modifications and that is it. I am not cheap to begin with but I just charge my normal fee. I do flat rates upfront. Not one to do a session fee then try to sell prints. My up-sell would be if they want more re-touched than what is built into the price. Being full time I almost never turn down work. I simply adjust my personal schedule to allow me to make a few hundred extra that day. Not a big deal. For you price is a personal decision.

If you are doing 20+ people you will need 2-3 lights for inside and even outside for fill. Look for several levels to position people on. Floor, sofa, sofa arms, standing would be 4 levels. Same for outside. Find big rocks, trees etc. A wide lens ( very wide for crop camera) would be required. 17mm for full frame in a good size room might work. Not on a crop. You might have to open a window ( it is 80 where I live so in the cold may not work) and stand outside shooting in to have more space as a last resort.

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password