New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

JeepTherapy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

My 200-400 is developing a light ticking noise when zooming in and out. I bought it used and the zoom has always seemed a little stiff but the only other zoom I have to compare it to is a 70-200 VR2. I still get good results from the lens.

I filled out the Nikon website repair form to find an authorized repair center and I get "Only Nikon is authorized to repair your Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED. Please use our online repair form to generate a packing slip, shipping label and printable instructions for receiving service".

A search on the forum comes up with a lot of recommendations for APS. Will APS repair these lenses or am I stuck using Nikon?

Should I be concerned about continuing to use the lens as it is?

Should I just suck it up and send it to Nikon?

thanks in advance for any insight,
Chris

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:40 PM
JeepTherapy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

I forgot to mention that the repair estimate from the Nikon site was $600

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

In April of 2011 I had to have my 200-400 VR I lens repaired because the lens Auto Focus would stick at the minimum distance. If I manually changed the focus off the minimum distance, it would resume normal AF operation, but a high pitched squealing sound would be emitted.

I brought the camera into a local authorized Nikon service center, C.R.I.S. (conveniently located a few miles from my front door). They told me that they could only do minor repairs and would most likely send it Nikon in California. Two weeks later, I picked up my lens from CRIS with a bill of $390. As expected, the lens had been sent to Nikon's California service center where they replaced the bayonet mount, signal pin, adjusted Auto Focus operation and cleaned/checked to manufacturer's specifications. I've had no problems since then, and the lens functions wonderfully again.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:28 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

Call APS on Monday and talk to them. I have a very strong feeling they can work on your lens with no problem.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Phone: 800-406-2046, 847-966-4091

Dec 08, 2012 at 01:39 AM
JeepTherapy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

thanks for your replies! Feeling a little better about it already. Going to call APS Monday.

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:13 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

Do Nikon still supply parts to third repair vendors like APS? I thought Nikon said they stopped doing so some time back...

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:36 PM
JeepTherapy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

Due to illness I just now got a chance to talk to them. They assured me that they will be able to source parts for it if needed. I will be boxing it up and shipping it off in the next couple days. The person I talked to on the phone thought that it sounded like impact damage . I bought the lens second hand on FM and have never abused or had any form of impact since I have owned it. Hope it isn't too painful to have it repaired.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:44 PM
JeepTherapy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

I just got my estimate from APS. It needs, lens barrel, zoom cam ring, zoom roller/guide ring, AF gear shaft, repair focusing mechanism, repair zoom mechanism, repair auto focus operation, clean and adjust. Comes to $750 plus shipping.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 200-400F4 VR repair question

Thang wrote:
Do Nikon still supply parts to third repair vendors like APS? I thought Nikon said they stopped doing so some time back...

If I am not mistaken, APS is authorized by Nikon to do repairs. They can still get parts.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.