Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

WThiry
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

Does anyone have any experience with 4th Generation Design lens feet? I'm looking to replace my stock Nikon 200-400 lens foot. I have experience with Kirk, but I'm intrigued with the 4th Generation Design:
http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/4th-generation-np-42-replacement-foot-for-the-nikon-200-400-vr-lens.html

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #2 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

I have one for my 500mm. It is much lower in profile compared to the stock foot. It is of benefit when on a gimbal as it can help to balance a setup with a high center of gravity.

The one caveat is that it is hard to hold by the handle with gloves on as there just isn't much room to get your hands over the handle.

Otherwise no complaints!

Dec 08, 2012 at 01:04 AM
WThiry
• • •
p.1 #3 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

Scott,
Thanks for the input. I like to hand hold at times, I usually don't use my lens straps due to the Nikon strap connections on the lens, it wears the paint away. The foot makes a great handle, maybe I should stick with the Kirk foot.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:53 AM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

I replaced a 200-400 foot with one from RRS. It had a lower profile with a much longer foot. It worked well with a Wembley head.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:28 AM
Trey Neal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

+1 for ReallyRightStuff replacement foot for the 200-400

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:15 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

Trey Neal wrote:
+1 for ReallyRightStuff replacement foot for the 200-400

Another satisfied RRS replacement foot user for the 200-400 as well as the 600.

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

RRS products tend to be more detailed for usage. better thought out.

its on my 300/2.8

the 4th gen is the least refined design of all of them
the Kirk has an optional "finish" for grip
the RRS has more interchangeability with a wider variety of system based componentry ot of the box. more refined design.

they are all lower profile then the original. as to using as a grip and hand/glove fit. that is relative to the hand/glove size/thickness. I have no problem.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #8 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

It's a guaranteed that you'll use this foot as a handle, especially if you intend to hand-hold that 200-400. In light of that, I like the RRS that's installed on mine. The inside portion is curved to accomodate a hand, with plenty of space between the lens body and the foot to hold it. Of course, 4th generation has those "cool styled" holes drilled into it, but not sure that adds much functionality. Also noticed that there doesn't seem to be much metal where the 4th gen foot curves up to meet the mounting plate. Last thing you'd want to have happen is for this thing break with a six grand lens mounted to it. RRS and Kirk are pretty heavily gusseted in those locations.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

oh I doubt that will happen with theirs. there is a dorsal section just like the RRS and Kirk. I just couldn't get a reasonable show it all shot for all of them

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.1 #10 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

I have owned their product for both the Canon 800mm and the 500mm. I thought it was OK on the 800mm and not so much on the 500mm.

I prefer the Wimberly products as my first choice and RRS as the second choice.

The Wimberleys are typically slightly longer (longer not taller) so they will balance better if you are using a light body like a D800 or D7000. The added length not important if you are using a D3 or D4

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

WThiry wrote:
Scott,
Thanks for the input. I like to hand hold at times, I usually don't use my lens straps due to the Nikon strap connections on the lens, it wears the paint away. The foot makes a great handle, maybe I should stick with the Kirk foot.

if you plan to use the foot as handle, then stay away from 4th Generation. Their replacement feet are way too close to the lens to make it practicle. But for lenses like 600mm, then this foot is great cuz' of its low profile feature.

Edited on Dec 14, 2012 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:01 PM
WThiry
• • •
p.1 #12 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

Thanks for the helpful feedback, I will probably go for the Kirk.

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:20 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

Kirk, RRS, and Markins are all better than Nikon's stock foot.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 4th Generation Design Lens Foot

I have the 4th gen foot for 500/4. It is really nice for the low profile and taking up less space in the backpack. If space/weight are not an issue, then I prefer the Kirk.

EBH

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password