Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

No clue if the price quote $849 +tax + Shipping= $ 912 is reasonable for a used one !
What do you think?
And I have to buy a Rayqual adapter @ 175 too, making it to some 1100 !
Is it worth for a used one??
What do you think?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Sounds high. I have seen them go for around 600 Euro in Germany.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

carstenw wrote:
Sounds high. I have seen them go for around 600 Euro in Germany.

Carsten,

600.00 EUR = 782.279 USD right now. So, it may be a little high but...

Sunny,

If you are asking about the lens that I posted at KEH, it is no longer available.

Rich

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

If you like 25mm then the 25/2 will be perfect for you. I haven't used this lens before but I've read plenty of positive reviews about it. I personally have the 21mm and its a beautiful lens. The 21mm gives me identical perspective to what I see with my eyes, its plenty wide but its not too wide if that makes sense. Optically I'm assuming the 25/2 will be identical to the 21mm, sharp wide open with plenty of microcontrast.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Sunny Alan wrote:
I am buying a Zeiss wide for my 5d Mark2, say Distagon T 28, 25 or 21mm. Price vary @ $1283, $1700, $1843. B&H.
And I found a 25 used Mint @1000.

All 3 are good for landscape.
Which is 'value for money'?

All ?

Is it make that much difference in landscape photography if 28, 25 or 21 width wise, assuming IQ is same?
For me 25 is enough, and if need wider, better go for an ultra-wide 18 or 16mm. I use 24-105 and 24 is enough wide for landscapes for enlarge printing upto 36+ inches on canvas.

But IQ is not
...Show more

Absolutely go for a used one! No question about it!

I was also interested in the new Zeiss wide lenses and had the same questions you're having. I spent about 25 or 30 hours on the internet and found that the 21mm has the reputation for being theeee best WA Zeiss. So that's what I got.

In my case I'm using a half-sized sensor (µ4/3) so it honestly wasn't noticeably better than a $150 zoom from Nikon which included 21mm. I believe the same to be true of APS-C. Unless you're on a FF camera don't even bother with any of these.

Anyway, the 21mm at the time (April, 2012) was thee one to get so I pass along that recommendation now.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
drdrew
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

i am selling one as i move to medium format. i love the zf 25mm/2.8 and i only shoot landscape. still these film gears can get pricey so i gotta get some funds! i sent you a PM sunny.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Got the PM.
I do not worry on the ding, but more on the glass, if dropped or fungi etc.
Please dont mind my saying: If I buy from KEH or even ebay or amazone, I can be dead sure of a standard minimum quality assurance: I wont get a lens with one element broken inside. But when I am buying from a person, have no chance of quality check at my disposal, sitting far.
Please do not feel distrust on you Mr. drdrew, just think if you were me and buying blindly believing my 'word'.
Otherwise, I will go for it. Are you sure it's glass is perfect? If not LN, at least very good, practically? How to assure it, any method?
And is it possible to reach it at Atlanta before 16th, to enable somebody to carry it before leaving on 16th?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

rirakuma wrote:
If you like 25mm then the 25/2 will be perfect for you. I haven't used this lens before but I've read plenty of positive reviews about it. I personally have the 21mm and its a beautiful lens. The 21mm gives me identical perspective to what I see with my eyes, its plenty wide but its not too wide if that makes sense. Optically I'm assuming the 25/2 will be identical to the 21mm, sharp wide open with plenty of microcontrast.

Don't be too quick to recommend a lens you haven't tried! The 25/2 is supposed to be great, yes, but it also has some weaknesses. I have 7 of the ZF.2s, and they all have different characters. The closest are maybe the 50 and 85 Planars, but even they are different.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Ummm, I think this is a common misconception Sunny Alan.

IMO you'e more apt to get junk from an on-line auction or sales site than from a person at somewhere like here at FM or MF.

In these (forum) places people are concerned about their reputations and wish very much to be considered as having a high integrity and ethic. Their ability to sell the next lens depends on it. These forum sites are also home to hobbyist and professional photographers who are much more apt to have a high degree of empathy for a dissatisfied buyer.

I know for sure if anyone was dissatisfied with something I sold them I would offer to either replace it free (I've done this already once) or accept a return for a full refund (also happened once). On the refund one the buyer was just not enthusiastic about it's performance wide open. On the replacement one the buyer broke it while attempting to clean the inner elements - so I replaced it for the cost of shipping - and replaced it with a better version than originally sold.

In both of those cases had they been ebay sales, I would have said "tough luck bud" the deal is done and you have no claims. I feel no empathy for ebay buyers mainly due to ebay's own policies - which stink! If something isn't to your satisfaction from an ebay or KEH sale you have to first make a big stink about it and then if the seller can't counter your claims then and only then can you send it back (minus shipping costs). With a sale from FM or MF most of the time you can send it back just cuz - especially if there isn't a track record of you doing that in the past.

Remember, in ALL cases you are buying from "a person".

I'll add however, that unless the two parties already know each other well the sales should go through the official B&S forums at the respective sites! This is rather important not only for safety but also to keep threads like this one free of "For Sale" plugs - which can get annoying to others!

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Ok Bifurcator, I understand your points...
You are correct in telling that 'a person' is more reliable than an auction site, if the person believes in ethics, and if he so believes he will value his reputation than few $ bills.

Ok, trusting the Forum and it's members(myself is one), I am accepting the offer. But the question is, if it can be reached before 16th at Atlanta or not. Do you think it is possible?

If not, the shipping cost to India and the customs tax will add another $400 making it a damp squid.
And drdrew is offline to respond and act...

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Only drdrew (Dr. Drew) ( https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/feedback/29859 ) can answer this positively but there is such a thing as overnight shipping, yes. If your payment can be confirmed in time then I guess it could happen. <shrug>

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

If only I get a response from him I can transfer money !

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Grenache
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Seems not to have been addressed, but your query compares a large differences in focal length. That is something only you can answer, in only you know where and what you shoot.

In terms of style of each lens, I have used the 21/2.8, 25/2, 35/2, 35/1.4, 50/2, 85/1.4, and 100/2. Rendering on 21 is crisp with neutral bokeh. 25/2 and 50/2 give crisp image with more saturated OOF than 21 and smoother looking transition. 35/1.4 is yet smoother, 35/2 is more abrupt and has greatest difference in saturation from in and out of focus. I have liked all of the lenses and own the 35/1.4, with a 50/2 on order. Next purchase will be 25/2. I like the 21, but I would rather take 2-3 shots with 35 or 50 on its side than use the 21. Just a personal preference.

Jim

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

carstenw wrote:
The 28 is maybe the most different from the usual Zeiss look, with gentler colours and contrast (until stopped down somewhat), and it does have some CA (as does the 25/2, i think, but I don't think the 25/2.8 has much; someone else should confirm, it has been too long),

If by "CA" you mean lateral color, the 2/25 has almost none; which means distinctly less than the 2/28, 2/35, and the 2.8/25---although of the latter three, the 2.8/25 probably has the least lateral CA.
Can'y speak on longitudinal CA since I so rarely shoot wide open.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Which Zeiss for landscape at the price?

Haven't used the new 25 2.0 but I found the 25 2.8 inferior to the 21 2.8

25 2.8 doesn't have awesome corners and something about its character is just bland compared to the 21 2.8.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.