New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

I've learned a lot here from my fellow FM'ers ...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171751/0

This forum is probably the most prolific example of
"Iron Sharpens Iron"

that I've ever been a part of. Philosophically, I've heard it and agreed with it since I was a young boy ... but I truly have not experienced it to the degree which we practice it here in this forum.

Kudo's to all who contribute, large & small alike ... past, present & future ... you should feel good about the efforts you provide to freely share with others as you have to contribute to each others growth.

FM ROCKS !!!

Image to follow ... someday.
In the meantime, feel free to post up your representation of "Iron Sharpens Iron".

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:13 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Gulp, all I have is rust. You are correct, this is a great forum, but you need to have some iron to start with.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

ben egbert wrote:
Gulp, all I have is rust.

Have you checked my member name lately ... what do you think I started with.

The more you try, the more O2 you consume ... thus liberating the FE.
(Yeah, pretty bad, I know.)

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:12 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

I liberated my FE years ago. It was a great camera but lacking AF I was never able to achieve sharp focus. I am still having that problem.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:20 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Good one ... my (Nikon) FE (film workhorse for me) has been relegated to a memento of inspiration sitting atop my filing cabinet alongside a Bronica and Graflex.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:29 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Ok, something off the top of my head ... er, camera, taking the license steel is mostly iron and steeling is part of proper knife sharpening....

(Decided to rename this Tomato's Doom.)

Edited on Dec 08, 2012 at 12:29 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

That's the spirit, Karen ... "Game On"

Who's next?

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

I have been practicing focus all day. I still can't beat AF with live view manual focus. No images to show however. My pocket knife sure needs sharpening, can I send it in?

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

ben egbert wrote:
I have been practicing focus all day. I still can't beat AF with live view manual focus. No images to show however. My pocket knife sure needs sharpening, can I send it in?

OK, I'll bite. How does one practice focusing? I don't expect to "beat" AF. If my camera did not AF properly I would get it repaired or replaced. I do use manual focus (10x live view) for some macro photography but that is certainly a specialized use.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Hi Jim;

Well AF is not always accurate on an UWA lens, and very hard to focus using the first gen live view of the 1DS-mk3. So I practice technique, but I still get home with lots of oof shots. You can't see this much when reduced to 850 pixels, but it is noticeable at print size.

Anyway, I was just reporting how I spent my afternoon. Its the off season, not much photography until spring.

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

I always thought focus for an UWA was sloppy because the DOF is so large that precise focus is difficult and not important.

Fortunately spring comes early in southern Utah. I was in Zion early March and the weather was very decent.

Living in the SLC area you need to plan on a winter vacation. I would recommend a trip to Death Valley.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Normally I set exposure and focus manually with most cameras - habit from back in the day and distrust in new-fangled things. However, lately I've been trusting auto-focus more and find the focus of my OM-D remartkably good, especially using one of my favorite lenses, the Lumix 7-14 mm. To make the Tomato's Doom image, I had to rely on the auto-focus and it did very well.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Camperjim wrote:
I always thought focus for an UWA was sloppy because the DOF is so large that precise focus is difficult and not important.

Fortunately spring comes early in southern Utah. I was in Zion early March and the weather was very decent.

Living in the SLC area you need to plan on a winter vacation. I would recommend a trip to Death Valley.

I am planning some trips. In fact I think Moab will be good in winter. I never care much for the stuff I see form Death Valley. I am not a fan of sand dunes. But family stuff keeps me here until Feb. I will be out at each full moon working on my moonlight shots. As a rule I like snow about as much as a trip to get a root canal.

On wide angle focus. You are right, DOF makes it look good, but when it is perfect, wow. I never even realized I had stuff out of focus until I saw one that was. Once that bottle is opened there is no turning back. But my manual focus skills are horrible after 32 years of making that my number one priority.

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

AuntiPode wrote:
Normally I set exposure and focus manually with most cameras - habit from back in the day and distrust in new-fangled things. However, lately I've been trusting auto-focus more and find the focus of my OM-D remartkably good, especially using one of my favorite lenses, the Lumix 7-14 mm. To make the Tomato's Doom image, I had to rely on the auto-focus and it did very well.

I also prefer manual, but my eyes are not up to it. I am not sure its poor vision as my near vision is pretty good out to a foot or so. But it is very hard for me to judge a slight change in sharpness on the lcd. I normally see a wide range that looks pretty good. I have the same trouble during the eye test at the optometrist when he says this one or this one? I have him go back and forth and eventually just guess. .

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:03 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

With film SLR's I used the micro prism and split image focusing aids, although with a view camera it's just a simple ground glass. With digital EVF I can use the facilities to magnify a section of the image to tune the focus. You can get interchangeable focus screens to allow you to have a good focus aid, but many of the more recent models don't face interchangeable screens. If I was going to do landscapes with manual focus, I'd try to have a camera I could magnify to check focus or change to a focus screen with a split image and/or micro prism focus aid. Many times best focus is too important to leave it to the camera to determine.

Dec 08, 2012 at 01:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

I used both a split and ground glass on my old FE film body. The 1DS-mk3 has many options including live view. But the live view is first generation and only 300,000 pixels. Most recent generations are over a million.

I am sure most people could focus my camera, and to a certain extent so can I. I never noticed I had a problem with my current camera until I got my TSE lenses which are very sharp. One day I was looking at one and for the first time saw an ultra wide angle that was sharp. But it is not easy to repeat. A nearly focused image looks pretty decent until you see one that is perfect.

Never having used a view camera I did not go through that part of the learning process.

Dec 08, 2012 at 01:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

Framing and composing inverted images on view camera ground glass is in some ways an advantage because it forces you to view and analyze the image in a more abstract way.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Iron Sharpens Iron ...

If I were younger, I might switch hobbies to camera/lens reviews. I probably have more aptitude for it than actual photography and sort of enjoy it. But I don't need a job and to do it right would require some equipment and training.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.