Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Large prints w d3s

amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Large prints w d3s

i set camera for Jpeg, minimal crop end up after Photoshop with a 7.4 MB file. Looks like the largest print I can make is a 24x36?? what am I missing, set to fine large Jpg? using Mpix pro as the print house? Says insufficient MP to print larger. Thanks

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Next39
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Large prints w d3s

How large are you looking to go?

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Large prints w d3s

Andy, startin' with 12.1 that's about all you're gonna see. You'll need RAW to print the BIG boys, I'm told.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:16 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Large prints w d3s

File size means nothing...how many pixels are you working with in the finished file?? Let us know how many pixels on the long side, that's where you gotta start....As much as i respect trenchmonkey, i gotta disagree with the raw statement...unless there was sarcasm there i didnt pick up....raw means nothing for print size/ability..you should be able to print as large as you want (and DEFINETLY as large as mpix can print) with large/fine jpgs...given a sharp/well exposed file to start with...just resize the image larger in PS, do a little unsharp mask, and you should be perfect!

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:48 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Large prints w d3s

it is a team pic from the championships, should have shot it in Raw but was caught in the moment. They want to hang in the lobby of the school at 30 x 45, looks lie the largest is 24x36?

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Large prints w d3s

sarcasm my middle name, Nathan

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:51 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Large prints w d3s

trenchmonkey wrote:
my middle name, Nathan

I figured that's what you were going for :-)

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:55 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Large prints w d3s

amlsml wrote:
it is a team pic from the championships, should have shot it in Raw but was caught in the moment. They want to hang in the lobby of the school at 30 x 45, looks lie the largest is 24x36?

PM'd ya...email me the Original, final JPG that you were sending to Mpix, and i'll prep it for you to show you what's possible...

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:56 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Large prints w d3s

Also, i dont use Mpix Pro, but just looking at their site, they dont do anything larger than 24x36....you prob need a lab that does larger....maybe think about contacting Elco Color.... http://www.elcocolor.net/index.php/Photographic-Prints.html

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Next39
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Large prints w d3s

Are you looking for a source other than Mpix, or are you just asking how large you can print? If it's how large you can go, consider the viewing distance. I have images taken with my D3s that have been printed at a number of large x huge sizes, including 3 foot by 6 foot, 4 foot by 8 foot, 10 foot by 12 foot, as well as full size billboards. So it's really a matter of the quality of the photo that you start with, the viewing distance, and the medium that you're printing on.

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Large prints w d3s

I once did a 17x25 from a 2.7MP D1 JPEG that came out excellent.
I used Qimage to upsize.

It really comes down to how good the picture is to begin with, more than the original size.
If it is sharp with enough DOF to get everyone in, it will go 30x45

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Large prints w d3s

I just got the photo and prepped it for him....the original jpg was very sharp, 4174x2783 and about 9mb in size...so plenty of pixels to work with....i resized it bicubic in PS to 45" wide at 300dpi (prob doesn't NEED 300 dpi, could have passed with 200dpi but it doesn't really hurt either....)...then did a 2 pixel, 117% unsharp mask......view at 33% where 1" on screen will be 1" on the print, file looks awesome from 2 feet, and straight up amazing from like 5' +......final image is 22.3mb from a Level 10 jpg....

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:55 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Large prints w d3s

Can we see a WebSize image before and after processing?

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:12 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Large prints w d3s

RRRoger wrote:
Can we see a WebSize image before and after processing?

No sweat...if Andy doesn't want this up, just lemme know and i'll pull it down....

Here's the Original file, resized for web....

Here's a 100% crop of the original file, before being resized....

And here is a crop of the resized file, showing a print size view (33%)....1" on screen is 1" on the print...Could be SLIGHTLY over sharpened, but seriously when you're viewing from a distance, you won't notice it...

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:26 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Large prints w d3s

file size means nothing, viewing distance is everything.

Where will this be seen? how far away are the viewers? ive shot billboards with 4mp cameras. ive also shot a 80x120 image (upressed with Genuine Fractals) for a shopping mall w my d700.

this was with a d700

Here is what it looks like up close, at an arms length away. Dont be fooled when people say you need X amount of MP to print big.

Edited on Dec 08, 2012 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:26 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Large prints w d3s

Thanks for the image post.
Definitely a valuable photo.
I would crop and print 17x50 using Red River roll paper and my Epson 4000.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:46 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Large prints w d3s

To go back to the original question, MPIX and a number of houses (maybe costco as well?) check the pixel count on the image and compare it to some standard they use. If the pixel count is too low, they will flag the image as being too low in resolution. In most cases you can override the warning.

I suspect the flag flips on somewhere between 100 and 200 DPI, based on my previous experience with it. I am pretty sure it is probably 100 DPI.

So, the direct answer to the question is, If you want to print bigger at MPIX and similar sites with this type of warning, you either need more pixels or you need to ignore / override their warning.

From what I read above, it sounds like Nathan has more than taken care of the "more pixels" alternative.

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:04 AM
ReyGay
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Large prints w d3s

Definitely viewing distance and the appropriate sharpening and the valuable Genuine Fractals. Know the final print size, upres if necessary then apply sharpening using Sharpening pro and choose the type of printer you'll be using, then the viewing distance. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Dec 08, 2012 at 10:05 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Large prints w d3s

Guys THANKS, Nathan you are great for taking the time and effort on this. The viewing distance is something I never considered and I think you are correct about the lab flagging based on some formulary they use. This is going into the school lobby so the distance will be at least 5 -10 feet depending on where they hang it!. Really appreciate the help, and the resize tutorial for PS.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:19 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Large prints w d3s

I've upscaled 12mp files to print at 300 dpi using Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals) and you'd never know....

Remember, billboards can be as small as 1 dpi, viewing distance plays a huge factor.

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password