FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

danb121
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Hi

So this is my first post but I've been an avid reader of the forum for a while now...

Anyway I've ben following the 6D threads very closely and I thought that you would be intrested in the digitalrev 6D vs D600 test.

Shame that the D600 come out on top in most areas though.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">6D v D600

Dan

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:29 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

I find it kinda strange that noone has done any test on the AF -3EV sensitivity of the 6D considering it's one of the main selling point.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:38 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

n0b0 wrote:
I find it kinda strange that noone has done any test on the AF -3EV sensitivity of the 6D considering it's one of the main selling point.

It's been done here.

"I would say it is safe to conclude here that Canon 6D's central focus point out performs all of the other cameras' central focus points in extreme low light. There is definitely something going on with the 6D's focusing system on that central square. It is very, very good in low light, about twice as fast as the 5Dii & It easily out performs the 5Diii's central square. The Nikon D600 failed to lock even once."

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:49 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

n0b0 wrote:

Yesterday I read a post here where someone claimed the 5DIII focused better in low light with the center AF point than the 6D.
That somewhat surprised me, given the -2 rating for the 5DMIII and the -3 for center AF point of the 6D.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:50 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Posted at the same time as thw2.
Great link, thanks.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:51 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

That does sound strange, I heard that the 5DIII was quicker at focusing in normal situations but I hadn't heard that it's low light performance was better than the 6D.

I only use center Af so as long as the 6D doesn't hunt and is accurate I'll be happy...

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:55 AM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

I suspect that there is no meaningful difference between 6D and 5DIII AF. My 5DIII surely locks quickly and EVERY time on ALL cross-points at the light level of 4sec/2.7/ISO400. What is it, -8EV ? I mean, I practically can't see the target with my eyes.

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:16 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

To be honest and this is what Canon are counting on, it's not enough to switch systems over. However given that most people buying a 6D will be coming from crop, they might well be in a position to sell up and start again as their APS lenses won't work either. In that case I think the feature crippling might well have an effect. I couldn't in all honesty tell anyone starting out to buy a 6D rather than a D600.

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:37 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Beni wrote:
To be honest and this is what Canon are counting on, it's not enough to switch systems over. However given that most people buying a 6D will be coming from crop, they might well be in a position to sell up and start again as their APS lenses won't work either. In that case I think the feature crippling might well have an effect. I couldn't in all honesty tell anyone starting out to buy a 6D rather than a D600.

Well, I have sold all my APS-C lenses and am free to choose between 6D and D600. I finally decided on 6D because it is a lighter camera and I prefer the Canon lens line-up (apart from their ultrawides... hopefully that gets fixed next year). Furthermore, the awful D600 AF accuracy and poor low light sensitivity put me off... remind me of my Rebel days.

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:44 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Beni wrote:

How many crop body owners have a collection of EFS lenses only... when I was starting out I thought that it would have been very short sighted to build up a collection of glass that could only be used on one type of body?

I have a crop body and the only EFS lens that I have will very much miss is the Canon 10-22 but this can be easily replaced with a 17-40L... all of my other lenses are EF.

Would you really tell anyone that's just starting out to jump in with a FF, the 7D/650D are great cameras as is the Nikon D7000 surely they would be better starting places?

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:48 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

I started on crop camera to shoot weddings. I purchased 1 lens that was made for digital....
Tamron 17-50 f2.8. This was 4 years ago.

I picked up my 1st FF camera last year.

All my lenses have been EF lenses.

Edited on Dec 08, 2012 at 09:34 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:00 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Beni wrote:

Then I'd guess you haven't found the sweet spot of the Canon system...it's glass.
Nor have you considered that many will not be selling their crop bodies once picking up a FF body.

Having one of each is IMO a great combo, my film bodies and crops get me there already, with the addition of the 6D to my kit, I'll have three options to shoot 35mm and this excites.

I've only one bit of EF-S glass, the 10-22 ultra wide and it's a gem; one crop body will stay and it will be my original 40D; with all it's flaws

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:28 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Hmmm... Maybe I can use this 6D for macro and landscape and keep my 7D for other stuff. But not until the price drop at least $500. It's currently priced at $2400.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:02 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

StillFingerz wrote:
I've only one bit of EF-S glass, the 10-22 ultra wide and it's a gem; one crop body will stay and it will be my original 40D; with all it's flaws

Yep the EF-S 10-22 is my fave lens and rarely leaves my camera, I'll keep my crop for the Samyang 8mm though... it's great for some quirky shots on the London Underground.

I'm looking forward to going FF soon!!

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:03 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

n0b0 wrote:
Hmmm... Maybe I can use this 6D for macro and landscape and keep my 7D for other stuff. But not until the price drop at least $500. It's currently priced at $2400.

Wouldn't the 7D be better for macro, while the 6D would be better for landscape... ?

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:06 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

danb121 wrote:
Wouldn't the 7D be better for macro, while the 6D would be better for landscape... ?

Nope. Sometimes I have this problem of not being able to go wider with my MP-E lens. The bigger sensor means I can actually have 1:1, not 1.6:1. The less dense sensor also means diffraction will be less noticeable at higher magnification.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:11 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

n0b0 wrote:
Nope. Sometimes I have this problem of not being able to go wider with my MP-E lens. The bigger sensor means I can actually have 1:1, not 1.6:1. The less dense sensor also means diffraction will be less noticeable at higher magnification.

Ahh I'm not lucky enough to own one of those bog standard 100mm for me ... in that case yes I see you point!

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

From the little bit of info and samples I've seen from the 6D, I'm going to make a prediction that the choice will come down to focusing vs image quality. The D600 has decent focusing in normal light, but the 6D will probably beat it hands down in low light. It will be hard to beat the image quality of the D600 though. To me, as a hobbyist, the D600 made much more sense since I really enjoy the old manual focus Nikon lenses.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:22 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

I think if I was only shooting Landscapes I would have gotten the 6D, however, I was more concerned about being limited to basically one AF point for everything else I like to shoot. After using a 5D for 5 years I wanted something that was an improvement. Unfortunately, I couldn't justify spending the $ on the 5D3 & I wasn't willing to wait for the price to drop a grand. So I switched to the D600, and I've been very satisfied with it's AF, I haven't had any of the issues using the outer points like I did with the 5D. I prefer selecting the points vs focus and recompose- just my style. I just thought the D600 represented a better all around camera for me. Excellent resolution and DR for landscapes and a more flexible AF system for shooting my kids and portraits. But for someone looking to add a body for landscapes, or for the landscape photographer who likes to go light it should be great.
Paul

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:37 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 6D v Nikon D600

Summary at the end of the review...

"It's still good (6d), just not as good as the Nikon".

Even if the Canon can shoot in the dark, ask yourself, or better yet search every shot you've taken, and figure out how many shots you've taken in the dark. If you've got 50k images and 5k were shot in ultra low light (and I'd be surprised if it was that high), then 90% of the time the canon's nearly sole advantage is gone. I know someone is going to say they shoot in the dark all the time (clubs, concerts, etc.), but that's not the average user.

I'm also excluding night photography, which is an interest of mine and an area where the Canon could have an edge. I'd like to see some results from both to see what kind of amp glow they produce on long exposures. While Canon has achieved very good ISO performance, I always use the lowest ISO possible and it's just not a big deal.

To me, there just aren't any really compelling features about the Canon (besides using EF lenses). They need to drop the price down to a realistic $1699 or something.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.