Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pulling

ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pulling

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 05:24 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:02 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pulling

Very cool image. Love the color. Love the faces.
I would be very tempted to crop out the boy's hand with the cell phone. For me, it is an eye-grabber, it takes away from the "naturalness" of the image, and that sliver of beach/ocean reduces the intimacy that is so important for this image. It would probably result in a non-standard crop for framing but for me it would be worth it.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pulling

Beautiful light. The phone doesn't bother me. I assume that he's taking a picture with it, which adds to story.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:49 PM

crabcakes
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pulling

I love this, cell phone and all! The action and the light are wonderful - especially the boy in the middle, looking up! I want to know how and what they are doing with the lantern(?)

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:31 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pulling

Thanks for the comments, folks! I thought long and hard about cropping out the cell phone, but I somehow feel it's just part of the image. I love that today's gadget-obsessed kids had a moment of old fashioned wonder.

I shot this last March, on the way to dinner with my wife. We were in the car and spotted several glowing UFOs, which we followed all the way to the nearest beach. A large group of families was letting Chinese lanterns (aka fire lanterns aka sky lanterns) go, and I leaped out of the car with my camera and the fastest lens I had handy to document.

Had to crank it to ISO 5000 to get a hand-holdable shutter speed, which is why you see some obvious noise in the sky and a bit of softness in the skin from noise reduction.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pulling

Good example of why ISO 5000 is useful and not to be avoided.

Remember when ISO 400 was "high".

Love the picture.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:17 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password