New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

One way is obviously RPP, but since I dont have MAC, neither exactly love to pay for something I really dont need..

So here are some steps..

1) download RAW converter called Photivo here

http://photivo.org/photivo/download_and_setup

I have x64 version.

2) start it, dont be afraid, its a bit "non-standart" RAW developer, but you will get used to it

On left side you will see possibility of opening file. Well, open some RAW.

3) now do following

- Camera color space, use external (it should use ICC within Photivo)
- White balance - intensify
- on left switch to Lab Color/Contrast - color boost to 1,3 (or none if you dont want to saturate)
- then switch to Lab Sharpness/Noise - edge avoiding wavelets - master to 0,30 (right click on number allows you to write)
- DeFringe - you will most likely need Red + Purple on Fuji lens, use 2,0 pixels
- switch to Output - Sigmodial Contrast 4,00
- Output parameters as you wish, Im using TIFF-16bits

(in case you need to correct exposure - switch to RGB and Exposure - Like UFRaw .. or anything you want)

You shouldnt have enabled or touched anything else than I mentioned (but feel free to play.

Down left is 1:X ratio, use 1:1 then "run the pipe" thats that play button next to manual (maybe it runs on auto, when you first start it.. dunno). Middle icon on right is to "save current pipe". And save your file somewhere.

Now, load product into Photoshop or sumthin like that. Upsize pic to 400% size (Im using 400% bicubic smooth), then downsize pic to 25% using bicubic smooth again. And done.

Its probably not that good as JPEG OOC, but its quite usable I would say. Maybe there some room for improvement in either Photivo or that upsize/downsize part.

In case you dont have super-fine detail or you dont have any blown highlights, you might use pic without upsize/downsize part.

Yea and apparently it saves settings with file soo, maybe you could use mine (load button for profiles next to "save current pipe" in Photivo).

http://www.ulozisko.sk/572106/DSCF1401.pts (just type captcha and use download button under, pay no attention to that gibberish .. its Slovakia language in case you wonder and "stiahni subor" means "download file").

Well hope it helps someone..

PS: In case you dont need big file, just process pic in 1:2 .. no issues at all with that and no up/down size needed.

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 09:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:31 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Can you post a sample comparison.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:01 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Sample comparsion between?

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing most people would want to see a comparison between another third party RAW developer (Lightroom?), a SOOC .jpg, or an image processed through the Fuji provided software (SilkyPix?).

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

SOOC cant do.

LR vs Photivo.. np.

Photivo + PS warning 22 MB JPEG

LR variant 18MB JPEG

Interesting stuff - LR is smaller, it has even few less pixels. Different WB read. So I tried to match them a bit. Both has zero NR. Photivo has some fringing correction, which wasnt needed for LR as its so blurry that fringe went out aswell.

Photivo shows bit of jaggies, LR is smoothed out. Photivo has details (genuine), LR doesnt.

Otherwise its simple, if up/downsize 200%/50% you will get bit more jaggies, but more detail. 400%/25% less jaggies, bit less detail (depends on resampler tho). You can probably go further if you wish..

Solution for no jaggies and detail for web is to develop in 1:2 mode in Photivo. It gives you smaller size, but pretty much close to perfect. Obviously not suitable for prints..

JPEG directly out of Photivo (4 mpix) 7MB

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:50 PM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Looks very similar to RPP. The details are definitely there, but so are some false color artifacts. You can also use any software that uses Dcraw for processing for a similar result with less work. I've settled on using Lightroom and layering details from a camera produced jpeg on any tricky files. I think this provides the best result for the time being.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:02 PM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Also, it's rumored that the next Capture One update will include RAW support for Xpro and XE1. They've been working on it a long time, so I hope they get it right.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

flashinm wrote:
Looks very similar to RPP. The details are definitely there, but so are some false color artifacts. You can also use any software that uses Dcraw for processing for a similar result with less work. I've settled on using Lightroom and layering details from a camera produced jpeg on any tricky files. I think this provides the best result for the time being.

Yep I think its pretty similar to RPP. Otherwise there isnt that many actually working Dcraw based converters. This is least beta and except occasional EXIF write fail, it works nicely. Main point was RAW SW for Win based PC.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:33 PM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I used Helicon Filter until the trial ran out. It uses Dcraw, but was a pain to use. Have you tried layering the jpeg details?

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I just convert mine on camera

I like the jpeg engine and I like the film filters, fuji got the colours right 50 years ago and they are still good today. I also find push/pull on camera very good, same for contrast and sharpening adjustments, and it also gives me the option to process shadows and highlight tone separately.

Then I import the jpegs to adobe products for final adjustments, rotating and cropping, local fixes, cleaning sensor spots, and maybe some (light) dodging and burning. I keep the raw just in case.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I’m trying X-E1 and so far:

- UI is good and menus easy & clear comparing to e.g. the Olympus E-5.
- The memory card is collocated with battery and very difficult to remove.
- LCD seems to smear more easily than other cameras.
- Zoom is excellent and results are very good.
- Noise is low and even at IS0 3200 and after using NR, the results are fine.
- I couldn’t reproduce the fractal effect with fabrics.
- There seems to be no Flash OFF option - only as part of the Silent mode.
Looks like Fuji first forgot the diopter adjustment on Pro model and now flash off option on this camera.
- I don’t see an overexposure area warning option on the LCD or playback.

Has anyone experimented with the Fuji RAW converter and can suggest the starting values for the file processing? I’m getting TIFF files (after sharpening with settings similar to typical I use in ARC) which are resilient to subtle sharpening in PS.

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Lan11 wrote:
I’m trying X-E1 and so far:

- UI is good and menus easy & clear comparing to e.g. the Olympus E-5.
- The memory card is collocated with battery and very difficult to remove.
- LCD seems to smear more easily than other cameras.
- Zoom is excellent and results are very good.
- Noise is low and even at IS0 3200 and after using NR, the results are fine.
- I couldn’t reproduce the fractal effect with fabrics.
- There seems to be no Flash OFF option - only as part of the Silent mode.
Looks like Fuji first forgot the diopter adjustment on Pro model
...Show more

Cant help with Fuji RAW (isnt it SilkyPix?). Best I know is either my way or RPP for MACs. You will need to probably figure that out yourself. Or try Google, maybe you will find something.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

After a little more use:
From the practical viewpoint the closely located zoom rings are difficult to use for anyone with large hands and the aperture ring too easy to move. All 3 rings also have the same feel to the touch.
I only use RAW, so after converting RAW file with the SilkyPix and comparing results with JPEG I gave up. The Fuji converter is smearing details very efficiently : -(
I’m told LR doesn’t do any better.
So, it is a JPG only camera until there is a quality converter - pity.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

Unfortunately, at this time there is NO WAY to fix the problem.

After more careful examination of results, and knowing what to look for, I can now see the Fuji fractal effects in all JPGs and especially RAWs converted in SilkPix.
The converter reduces sharpness, as compared to JPGs. Noise is almost completly masking the fractal effects above ISO 800. This explains why the files don't respond to subtle sharpening. A nice, but unusable camera to me.
It looks that after the X100 and X-Pro1 Fuji still continues selling camera prototypes.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:52 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I think calling it a prototype is a bit harsh, but I understand your situation. I've only shot raw + jpg, raw for being able to process in-camera if necessary. Results are mostly very good IMO. But I only downsize to 1048 px or print A3 max, so ...

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I agree that fine detail isn't the systems strong point. However: when not pixelpeeping the results look great to me. Great tonality, dynamic range and low noise.
I still really like my X-E1.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

These reasons are exactly why I created this thread.

My way isnt perfect, but its surely way better than other options except RPP. So perhaps instead whining "why Fuji didnt care about RAW support".. try it?

Sure its not easiest, but then.. thats why we use alt gear. It wouldnt be fun if it was as easy as with generic Canon or Nikon.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

I expressed my views based on the results vs. my expectations and my expectations are simple: that the product should work. If it doesn't, then it is either a prototype or a lemon.
If frustrations with the not working product and futile attempts to fix it work are "fun" then it is not my kind of "fun", especially after paying $1.5k. I'm happy for all who like it. Enjoy it. But the potential buyers should be aware of the problem and try the camera first with option to return it if dissatisfied.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

If you weren't aware of these issues before you purchased your camera, you must have been hiding under a rock. The problem lies in writing proper processing algorithms to get the most out of the new sensor array. RPP and Dcraw based software have shown that crisp, natural details can be produced. However, both of these also introduce false color artifacts (and are a pain to use). Capture One support is on the horizon, and they are the best hope for proper processing IMO.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "How to" Fuji X-Pro 1 RAWs

“If you weren't aware of these issues before you purchased your camera, you must have been hiding under a rock”

I don’t take seriously any opinions, tests or picture quality published on the internet.
After I buy a product, I check it and make a call irrespective of what others think.
Many users are still denying the problem exists. Another fact is that not all the pictures will show it clearly, especially if one doesn’t know how it looks. Hence my earlier statement.

Under the rock?
This is silly. You must be referring to those “proud owners” who discovered the problem too late to return the lemon. I think these people should try returning it to the dealer anyway or send it back to Fuji asking for full refund.
Otherwise Fuji will continue rolling out such “products”.

As to the hopes of external support - there is a proverb: “Hope is a Mother of fools” : -)
How long was it since the first camera with this problems was released?
Finally, a product must work when I buy it, not in the future - based on hope.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.