Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · engagement shoot

Calcvictim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · engagement shoot

This is my first formal engagement shoot, please provide feedback....honest feedback

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:00 AM
hijazist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · engagement shoot

Very nice work There is some calm feeling about the pictures and subjects which I think because they were natural. My favorite is the last though IMHO the shadows are too dark. Somethings that might be just me but the first is a bit over-saturated and overexposed and the dog in the second is not contributing to composition. It would be nicer if the dog was engaged with them in the pictures. Also a shallower depth of field (like in 5) would be great.

Your first time was much better than mine anyway so who am I to judge!

Good luck
Hussain

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Calcvictim
• •
p.1 #3 · engagement shoot

Thanks for the feedback.

Also the last picture you liked is the favorite picture of most people who see this set, it's pretty consistent.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · engagement shoot

Howdy,

The first time for anything can be difficult, but can always be looked upon as a learning experience.

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

A few Quick Comments:

Your images have skin tone issues (white balance or flash related).

See images 1 and 2. Notice the difference in the skin color and the color of her skirt? That is a clear sign of a lack of consistent color. My Suggestion: Adjust the image that is too "cool" in color temp to match the other, warmer image.

See Image 2.
Notice the dog butt? I do. No need for it in the photo.

See Image 3.
Notice the antenna like projection from the woman's head (church steeple). No need for it there.

Also, notice his double chin. No need to show that. Makes him look even heavier.

See Image 5
Don't cut off her hand. Better composition of this shot would have shown her hand and ring.

See Image 5.
Notice the man's belly. It appears as if his gut is going to pop that button off. Not a flattering image. My Suggestion: the photographer should notice this and avoid that (or cover that gut with his coat).

See Image 6
Your choice of post processing effects has made the skin look dead, like a "zombie couple holding hands." AND the ring looks dull. My Suggestion: redo this image processing and avoid "glowing" effects or whatever you used before and try a different BW conversion filter. Make the ring sparkle, not dull.

I hope these honest comments help you.

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:53 PM

Calcvictim
• •
p.1 #5 · engagement shoot

Steady hand, thank for the comments.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · engagement shoot

Good suggestions already from Steady. No need to repeat.

Reduce the amount of sky showing in #1, #2, #4 & #5. The people are the subject. The background building is interesting to show the setting, but you don't need the sky. Your couple will stand out more in the frame if you crop the sky.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:35 PM
ethompson53

p.1 #7 · engagement shoot

If I may I add, that using what appears to be on camera flash flattens their faces that look to be somewhat round as is and casts an unpleasant shadow behind them. Using the flash off camera axis and higher up should create a more pleasant modeling to their faces.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password