Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Going REALLY long on Micro 4/3.

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Going REALLY long on Micro 4/3.

So I bought a Canon FD 2x TC today. I've had a cheap Tamron 2x for FD for a while, and it's ok, but not great. I will use it predominantly with my FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, which is surprisingly good. I'll probably try it on my 200mm f/2.8 as well, but this TC is for 300mm+ lenses. To my surprise, even with the 2x, imgae quality is decent. Now, it's not going to set records wide open or anything, but it gets a fair amount of detail. Stopping down just 2/3 stop to f/11 (f/5.6 on the lens) increases contrast a bit and improves resolution. I didn't get home until after dark and Moonrise isn't until 1AM, so I had to test indoors. Less than ideal...at 1200mm effective, even on a sturdy carbon fiber tripod and A/S clamp, ANY vibration is visible. I used 2 second timer, but who knows if there's some impact from the very slow shutter speeds.

Anyway, I did this little test, putting a can of cat food on my mantle, and taking some test shots from about 20 feet away.

This is the scene at 50mm (100mm FF equivalent FOV):

This is the scene at 600mm (1200mm FF equivalent FOV) Wide open:

100% crop wide open (a little soft, but you can still see the texture in the metal of the can):

100% crop at f/11:

And a shot of my daughter (1/2 second exposure):

And at MFD (pretty good magnification), wide open:

100% crop of above:

While it's not ultra-sharp (who would expect it to be)...it's darn impressive for a 6x zoom lens from 1984 with a 2x TC from the 70s on a very pixel dense sensor. This would likely be quite sharp for some decent sized prints.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Going REALLY long on Micro 4/3.

Makes me kinda wonder how good could be some Zeiss or Leica zoom with 2x TCs..

These are pretty good. Looking forward to see that moonshot.

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:56 AM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #3 · Going REALLY long on Micro 4/3.

If I recall correctly, I did this video with a Sigma 150-500 at 500mm with a Tamron 1.4x and a Phoenix 2x on an E-PL2. I don't think I used the digital teleconverter, though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/qndphotography/6142260321/

I currently have a Sigma 600mm MD mount and a Vivitar 2x with an E-P3 that I'm going moon hunting with when it gets warmer again

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Going REALLY long on Micro 4/3.

Cool to see the moon move like that, though you can tell it's a rather soft combo with the stacked TCs. I'm kind of excited to try and use this for birds, though I think it's going to be challenging. This kind of length is rather insane.

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password