Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

abh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

Just had rotator cuff surgery (doing OK, thanks), wondering if anyone has any tips for using an SLR with just the left hand. TIA, typing is tough.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:56 PM
rchb

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

I would find an L Bracket Hand Grip that I could adapt my remote to!!!!

Have you noticed there are some things the left hand just won’t do if you’re right handed?

R

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

While this is not a direct answer to your question. I broke my right arm twice in the last two years. If the cost isn't a big obstacle, I recommend using small sony NEX (that what i did) because it allows for shooting from the hip with minimal coordination (You just need to the the right thumb to press the shutter with ).

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

Use a tripod. Most importantly, let your body heal and then adhere to the PT requirements. I've also had two incidents in the past few years where I was unable to meaningfully use the right arm/hand.

EBH

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:07 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

rchb wrote:
Have you noticed there are some things the left hand just won’t do if you’re right handed?

R

I see what you did there

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Csae
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

This looks interesting:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739122-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0370_DL_0370_Hands_free_Video_Stabilizer.html

+ a simple cable release ?

It also depends on what you're shooting, a tripod in the studio is easy, maybe a magic/arm set-up, i can think of lots of ways of shooting with only one hand.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

It's a bit awkward but if I hold the camera upside down I can get a finger on the shutter button. Easier if I use live view as its tough to also hold the viewfinder up to my eye. You'll have to rotate the photos in post, but I'm pretty sure the camera don't care.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:09 PM
abh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

Many thanks for the suggestions. I finally got an opportunity to do some experimentation this past week, and discovered I could hold the camera just fine in my left hand, and even adjust the zoom ring. Snapping the shutter is accomplished via a remote release held in the right hand.

If anyone finds this thread looking for a truly one handed solution, you might consider a “bite switch”. There are a few suppliers for this type of device, the one I located in my searching around for various ideas was from Michael Bass Designs.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

In that case, I'm ambidextrous.

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:46 PM
ScatterCrSport

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

A BushHawk® is an option. While you probably won't be able to reach the AF-on button, it does have a two-stage shutter release button to enable the AF.

Good luck on your recovery.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

The Canon grips have a shutter release. That might work.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM
abh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

The shutter button on the grip is still on the right side of the cam though...

Happily, I've regained enough strength & mobility in the right arm that I'm able to shoot almost normally.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM
rchb

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to use an SLR with only the left arm?

I was glancing at some L bracket literature the other day that had an independent shutter release and thought of you. If you’re on the mend I won’t bother, but if it’s still of interest, let me know and I’ll retrace my steps and find it again.
I think I still have an equivalent one that was left handed that I used with the Mamiya RB67 but those shutter releases were the plunger type. Now everything is three conductor with momentary contacts for digital.
R

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.