Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First post here

cmcleod
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First post here

This will be my first post here, Im truly looking to improve so I looking forward to your comments and critiques. As a disclaimer, I am new to off camera lighting. I have done a tone of reading and exploring to familiarize myself with techniques and absorb as much info as possible, but its time to start learning through my own success and failures (a little bit of critiquing will help too.)

I had an opportunity to shoot a high school volleyball player who was being awarded the All-Area MVP award through the local newspaper. The first three images were the result of what I had envisioned from the start. A key light either camera right or left, high with a square softbox and a rim light behind the subject, bare, showing up in the frame like a spot light. I wanted to kill the ambient light (the gym was completely light) and try to give an overall dramatic feel.

The last image was one of those bonus, only going to realize its there when you get there moments. Walking into the high school there was this large illuminated "D". I knew I wanted to use this so after I felt I got was I was initially looking for, we headed outside to try and incorporate the stained glass.

C&C welcome. Thanks

Cam

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:28 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First post here

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First post here

Howdy,

Welcome to posting here in this forum.

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

Some Quick Comments:

A. I found the flash in the background distracting. It looks like a full moon next to her face and in one image a white dot touching her hair/head.

B. I suggest using a bit more light on the shadow side of the figure.

C. I also suggest more variety in pose and expression. As shown it appears to be a frozen smile and arm over ball in all photos, with only your position changing.

D. From this set of images I prefer the light on her face in image 2.

Hope these comments help you.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:21 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First post here

+1 to what Steady said on all four points. In Pics 1, 4 and 5, desperately needing some light in her eyes like what you got for her in 2 and 3. Same pose in all five, just different angles.

Nice start, tho. Really love 2 and 3, minus the background flash. Keep 'em coming!

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:27 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First post here

Thanks for commenting

I couldn't agree with you both more. When I go back and began editing the images I knew my posing needed more variety. I was disappointing when I heard you both say that the light in the background was distracting. I was really hoping this would add some drama and I thought I had achieved that. However, after reading your remarks I agree. Sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out to us.

So I guess in the end, I could have made better use of my second strobe and instead of putting behind her and in the frame I could have used it as a fill light, or off camera as a rim light and a reflector as fill.

Thanks again
Cam

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First post here

cmcleod wrote:
Thanks for commenting

I couldn't agree with you both more. When I go back and began editing the images I knew my posing needed more variety. I was disappointing when I heard you both say that the light in the background was distracting. I was really hoping this would add some drama and I thought I had achieved that. However, after reading your remarks I agree. Sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out to us.

So I guess in the end, I could have made better use of my second strobe and instead of putting behind her and in the
...Show more

Dramatic effect can come from light/shadow use.

In this case (subject) I suggest you consider using a different pose and action to show more "drama" even if you use just one light or two.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:06 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First post here

Different posing would have made this set much stronger. I can see that this is an area where I need to improve. Different lighting decisions would have helped but I can see where 1 light and better posing could have served me better than the same pose and different lighting. I appreciate your comments

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:51 AM
cannpope
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First post here

#5 would be perfect if more light was hitting her face (right).

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:58 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First post here

I agree with the comments above, especially about the strong back light. I would just clone it out.

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password