New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

sparrks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

That's not good news - mine's intermittent works for a short while, stops working, tap the side of the lens lightly works for 3 or 4 mins or until I stop using the focus button for a minute or two. Tap lens, starts working again. Gotta be a loose connection, any repair man worth his salt should be able to fix it. Will send mine in early next year.

Good luck with yours

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 07:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Parts get discontinued, it's just the way the semiconductor market works. Everything is geared toward a 2-year product cycle.

Sometimes the thing that spurs a redesign is just this, they've run out of parts and the opportunity to do a lifetime buy has already passed. At this point if you can't find a pin-compatible replacement, it's time to redesign the board or discontinue the product entirely.

Sorry to hear this, I guess it's kinda a double-whammy for anyone who owns this lens.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

In the EC they are supposed to deliver sparparts during 7/8 years after productcycle has ended.
Unlike cameras, Canon lenses seem to refuse to go down in price even though they are out of delivery. It is something to be aware of when buying an aged lens. I wondered about the going price the last time the 1.8/200 was hyped here for this reason.

PS: shame on Canon

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:56 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Bad news, but kinda consistent with the Canon's seven year "grace period" after the onset of obsolescence. (The MkII was released in march 2006 according to Canon Camera Museum.).

Good thing I've got a spare main flexboard because I can tell they will quickly become hard to get and expensive now.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

godfather wrote:
That's the problem...no focus at all...

It's focus by wire only, so manual focus still requires the electronics to work. I have V1 too, the previous owner had the autofocus repaired/replaced just a few years ago, so hopefully no problems for a long time.
Sorry to hear of your difficulty.
Steve

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:08 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Steve, you don't happen to know what part they replaced in your lens, do you? I'm guessing it was the flex part with the chips and wiring harness, but I'd love to know for sure.

Thanks.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:14 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

That sucks but I am sure that there are independent but Canon authorized repair facilities that can do the repair. In general, I venture to say that the repair cost should be less expensive, too but no CPS discount and you may have to deal with a little longer turn-around-time.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:19 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Yeah, except that parts are not available... I did find some parts on eBay, but need to make sure that they'll do the trick before buying.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:21 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

PetKal wrote:
Bad news, but kinda consistent with the Canon's seven year "grace period" after the onset of obsolescence. (The MkII was released in march 2006 according to Canon Camera Museum.).

Good thing I've got a spare main flexboard because I can tell they will quickly become hard to get and expensive now.

sounds more like 6 years 9 months in the case of the 1.2 85

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:23 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get it repaired else where.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:24 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Hulot wrote:
In the EC they are supposed to deliver sparparts during 7/8 years after productcycle has ended.

Supposed to and 'in reality' are two very different things. The lenses are likely designed in Japan, with electronics (parts) sourced from companies around the world but likely manufactured in an country around Asia or the western Pacific. EC can pass whatever laws they like but it likely doesn't affect the reality of the situation a whole lot.

Even if it's a popular part, miniaturization is a constant push and the the packages people prefer are always getting smaller with time. Sometimes the package you chose for your old board is no longer available... again redesign the board or abandon. Talk to anyone else who works in the modern industry if you think I am fooling about parts availability.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:31 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

All I know is that I can still buy an OEM alternator for a BMW from 1968, but I can't buy parts for my circa 2005 Canon 85L.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:34 PM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

**Try Phototech in NYC - they are awesome!

(they used parts from a 35mm lens to repair my discontinued 50mm lens once, because they knew that that these lenses use some of the same parts. Worked like a charm.

Their # 212-673-8400

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 07:40 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:34 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Sjjindra wrote:
It's focus by wire only, so manual focus still requires the electronics to work. I have V1 too, the previous owner had the autofocus repaired/replaced just a few years ago, so hopefully no problems for a long time.
Sorry to hear of your difficulty.
Steve

Sorry, didn't know that the wire system in this lens does not even allow MF when the AF is broken. Too bad!

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

johnnydanger wrote:
Yeah, except that parts are not available... I did find some parts on eBay, but need to make sure that they'll do the trick before buying.

Hmm, those independent repair facilities may have parts that are no longer available through the official Canon source. In general they are more "creative" in repairing items since Canon official repair centers have to use the exact parts that are specified/manufactured by Canon and follow Canon's guidelines. You may want to check with a few of them and you may be pleasantly surprised. You will never know...

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

johnnydanger wrote:
All I know is that I can still buy an OEM alternator for a BMW from 1968, but I can't buy parts for my circa 2005 Canon 85L.

An alternator is not an integrated circuit.

If the board itself is a common board used in many different lenses, your best bet is to try the independent repair shops in hope they have one of those boards in stock. If it was specific to that lens then you are likely out of luck (unless you can scavenge one from a broken lens of the same type or something like that). If it's a part like a motor or something external to the board that is broken, it's hopefully a common part that can be scavenged or still found (or a suitable replacement found). Beyond this someone who is truly resourceful may be able to find the parts that went bad and replace them individually, especially if it's not an IC (ie. a capacitor that has dried out or gone bad). It just depends what's on the board and there can be some trial and error involved too. So time and money might be spent without any actual guarantee of making the lens work again.

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 07:49 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:48 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

I'll keep you all posted as to my solution, parts search, etc. Thanks.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:48 PM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

By the way the $1300 you thought that lens was worth is going to fall to $800 or $900 now that people know you can't buy parts.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:50 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Yeah, no kidding. Kind of shot myself in the foot with that one If I was smart (and an a-hole) I would have figured out how to fix it, then sell it at its current market value. It's interesting to note that FD 85 f1.2 are still around $800-900.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

johnnydanger wrote:
Yeah, it boggles my mind that Canon would cease production of parts for such an exquisite piece of glass. Especially the MOST POPULAR PORTRAIT LENS BY CANON FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS.

That's what you get from piss weak consumer laws. I believe in Australia they must carry parts for at least 10 years in general, not sure about camera gear.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.