New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

johnnydanger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Just sent my 85L in to Canon to get the AF repaired. It's never been dropped or anything, but the AF just stopped working on it all of a sudden. Guess what...

"Thank you for your request to have your Canon product repaired at our Factory Service Center. Unfortunately, since components are no longer available for this model, the Canon Factory Service Center cannot repair it due to the expiration of the service life of this model. Therefore, we are returning your equipment to you."

Um, they were able to repair them last year, or so I'm told. I know the 50L 1.0 is out, but the 85L Mk I?! So what do I do with my $1300 paperweight now?

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:31 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Just notified by CPS
=============
November 1st, 2012: The 85L mark I is now unrepairable by Canon.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

search for authorized canon repair shops - a few still exist. Some do the repairs in store, and carry spare parts
http://stores.ebay.com/procamerarepair
They DO exist outside Ebay btw

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Ridiculous. They only stopped selling them new about a year ago.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:02 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

More bad news:
Canon Parts has ZERO electronic parts for the 85L mk I (and they told me the AF electronics have been discontinued since 2009).

Well, I'm up shit crick without a paddle now.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:10 PM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Try these guys:

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:17 PM
finnianp
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

That is very bad news

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:21 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish somebody could tell me over the phone what part might fix the damn thing. Stop down button works properly and closes up the aperture, just no AF or MF. So, it's getting power, just not to the focus unit. Looking at the misc. parts that are floating around the web and it looks like maybe the Main Flex Assembly/chipset would be the logical solution, but nobody can tell me over the phone if that MIGHT fix it.... hmmm.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:43 PM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Seeing as your out of warranty. Unscrew the plate off the back and visibly inspect the AF circuitry to see if you can visibly see anything that doesn't look right. Literally could be as simple as a bad connection which is something any electronics store can repair for you by re-soldering it. I would be shocked if the AF motor stopped working. It's more likely some sort of problem the electronic circuitry.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:47 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

That is total BS!

The version II started shipping in late 2006 ish? So canon made parts for 2-3 years? I can understand a lens that has been out of production for 10+ years not producing parts but 3-4 years after they stop selling them new!

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:48 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Yeah, I agree. Though since it's getting power to the aperture I don't think anything will be apparent on the rear mount. The flex assembly is quite the rats nest that winds it's way through the lens, but requires a more complete disassembly to check throughly. I'm certainly considering opening it myself. Just need some guidance from a tech about the likely solution.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:49 PM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Yeah, it boggles my mind that Canon would cease production of parts for such an exquisite piece of glass. Especially the MOST POPULAR PORTRAIT LENS BY CANON FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:50 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Try giving Toshio in East Brunswick, NJ a call... he's like the Mr. Miyagi of Canon cameras and lenses. (732) 238-8806

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

They want you to buy the MK II.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Yes, not a good customer service to somebody who owns such lens even it is the "old" version. Yes, Canon really seems to push people to buy the latest version. Anyway, optically your lens is still perfect, you can still use it with MF in the worst case.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:34 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

Rickuz wrote:
They want you to buy the MK II.

The problem I have with this thinking is what happens in another 3 years when canon stops making parts for the IS /AF on the 500 and 600 version I lenses.

Yeah, I'm sorry you purchased that $7500 lens brand new 5 years ago but we stopped making the IS replacement parts for that lens 4 years ago. Don't worry your lens is still white and we have an even brighter white lens you can buy for another 10k...

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:38 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

retrofocus wrote:
Anyway, optically your lens is still perfect, you can still use it with MF in the worst case.

That's the problem...no focus at all...

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

godfather wrote:
The problem I have with this thinking is what happens in another 3 years when canon stops making parts for the IS /AF on the 500 and 600 version I lenses.

Yeah, I'm sorry you purchased that $7500 lens brand new 5 years ago but we stopped making the IS replacement parts for that lens 4 years ago. Don't worry your lens is still white and we have an even brighter white lens you can buy for another 10k...

Or my poor 300 2.8 IS! And then when that breaks suddenly instead of $3800 the price of entry is now $7600 what!
I guess I better enjoy using a super-tele while I can.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

johnnydanger wrote:
Just sent my 85L in to Canon to get the AF repaired. It's never been dropped or anything, but the AF just stopped working on it all of a sudden. Guess what...

"Thank you for your request to have your Canon product repaired at our Factory Service Center. Unfortunately, since components are no longer available for this model, the Canon Factory Service Center cannot repair it due to the expiration of the service life of this model. Therefore, we are returning your equipment to you."

Um, they were able to repair them last year, or so I'm told. I know the 50L
...Show more

Man that is really brutal.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:44 PM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 85L Unfixable... WTH?

I'm actually surprised Canon would be so stupid to do something like this as it is the exact sort of thing that Nikon uses to promote their products. At least with Nikon you know when you buy a product you are going to be able to get it serviced for 5 years after the date of purchase.

It is so unprofessional for companies to stop producing parts for lenses and camera bodies as there is money involved but they are so concerned with seller their newest and most overpriced junk.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.