Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · $300 for a color calibration system

sskoutas
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $300 for a color calibration system

What is the best color calibration system for $300 or less? I haven't used one in years, and I haven't researched them in about as long either.

Today I happened to log on to my facebook page from work and saw that pictures that I'd posted last night from home were decidedly greener. At home I'm using a pair of Apple Cinema displays. I know that they are not exactly color matched to each other, but they are very close.

At work I use a Dell PC and (fairly old) dual Dell monitors. Both monitors show my images tinted green.

99% of my prints go through Bay Photo, so they could be doing significant color correction on their end and I wouldn't know. All I know is that the final prints look good, and what's on screen on my Mac looks good.

I'd like to make sure my images processed at home are properly calibrated. Important considerations to me are accuracy, ease of use, and a max of $300 cost. If they can calibrate printers at the same time, all the better.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:08 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $300 for a color calibration system

well, you could get teh X-rite i1Display Pro which I think is mid-high $100's. For $300+, you could get a used Colormunki Photo (on sale for 350 sometimes or used) and that would allow you to make printer profiles too but since as you state 99% of your work is printed externally, that probably isn't the way to go.

Then send me a check for all the money I just saved you

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:37 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $300 for a color calibration system

I just got a Spyder4Pro and I'm happy with the results. I also had the $90 Colormunki Smile before that and that gave me good results as well but with that one you have to calibrate luminance using your camera. Read my review of that here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1170475

brad

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password