Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Can my monitor no longer be calibrated?

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can my monitor no longer be calibrated?

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 215TW IPS monitor that has worked flawlessly for me for at least 3-4 years now. I use Monaco Optix XR Pro and DTP-94 puck for calibration.

Lately, I've had the darndest time getting my monitor calibrated and I don't know if it's the software/hardware going south on me, or the monitor. I end up just doing a test print and manually adjusting my monitor to match the print. This is not my preferred method obviously.

Is there a lifespan for monitors to be accurately calibrated? I know the software and puck have long been replaced, might that be my problem? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:53 PM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can my monitor no longer be calibrated?

The first system I ever had was a Spyder that died after 3 years sitting on the shelf.

On inspection I discovered that the lens in the puck had a cheap plastic laminate cover. I think it was supposed to be a diffuser. It had delaminated and turned a funky blue color. Contacted customer support and was told they don't make or sell replacement parts for out-of-manufacture products.

So, based on that one experience, pucks can go bad. Carefully inspect yours to see if you can find anything unusual.

I doubt the monitor or software has gone bad. Especially since you are apparently able to get good color via a manual, visual adjustment.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:19 AM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can my monitor no longer be calibrated?

I agree, it's likely the calibrator that's failed. I've seen a couple of older X-Rite i1 Display2 units go bad (gave a color cast after calibrating).

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can my monitor no longer be calibrated?

After further research, I'm in agreement that it's like the puck that is having problems. So, I've sprung for a new one, the Spyder4Elite. It was a huge toss-up between that and the i1 Display Pro, chose the Spyder based on reviews indicating it's the simpler of the two, and it can calibrate my i-pad (I'll have to see that in action to believe it). Here's keeping my fingers crossed!

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password